Don’t Count Out The Celtics?

4 posters

Go down

Don’t Count Out The Celtics? Empty Don’t Count Out The Celtics?

Post by 112288 Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:14 am

By: Lang Greene Last Updated: 8/16/11 9:58 AM ET | 1380 times read

There doesn't seem to be a sense of extreme urgency from league owners and players as the lockout nears the two month mark which leads many to predict the ongoing labor dispute will stretch into the fall and eventually tear into the early portion of the 2012 regular season schedule.

In essence, both sides won't feel the pinch of the lockout until the money stops.

While a shortened NBA season would damage the league's momentum in regards to retaining its newer fan base who were captivated by an exciting 2011 campaign, there are teams who would undoubtedly benefit from fewer games on the schedule --- those being veteran laden teams.

One team seemingly a potential beneficiary of a shortened season is the Boston Celtics boasting the future Hall of Fame trio of Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. While still highly productive on the floor it is obvious all three are on the downside of immensely successful careers and inching ever so close to retirement.

However Allen believes those counting out Boston from being a power player or believing their championship window is completely shut is making a huge mistake.

"If you go back to 2008, that was our last year," Allen told CSNNE's Kyle Draper at his charity golf tournament at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, CT on Monday. "2009 was our last year, 2010 was our last year, 2011 was our last year. I think we truly have proven to be very resilient regardless of what has happened. You win a championship or you don't. We get knocked down we're ready to get back up again. We're going to fight. We're going to fight no matter what."

The Celtics won a NBA title in 2008 in their big three's first season together and were heavy favorites to repeat the following year before Garnett suffered a season ending knee injury before the playoffs began.

In 2010, the veterans pushed the Los Angeles Lakers to seven games in the NBA Finals before succumbing in the final minutes of the pivotal contest.

Although Boston bowed out in the second round of the playoffs this past season, the team once again endured a rash of late season injuries and a midseason trade which shook up team chemistry (Kendrick Perkins for Jeff Green trade).

But Allen's confidence in his squad extends further than just the upcoming campaign. Even if the full year is lost due to the lockout the veteran believes Celtics management would still invest in the core for another run at a championship.

"I don't think so," Allen told Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald when asked if a lost season would end the big three's era in Boston. "They're [management] not going to send us away because possibly we miss a season. We're not going to say we're done and we're not going to play anymore. I still have a lot left in me and I'm sure that Kevin feels the same. At this stage of the game, I'm sure he's rejuvenated and he'll be ready to go."

Whether a full season is lost or not the Celtics must address a plethora of items before beginning its march toward another title.

The team has only six players under contract for 2012 and currently is well above a salary cap figure most predict will shrink when the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is signed.

Four of those players are Garnett, Allen, Pierce and All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo which most would agree isn't the worst situation a team could be facing.

However, Shaquille O'Neal's retirement and Nenad Krstic signing overseas leaves the team with just one center under contract – oft injured Jermaine O'Neal.

The other player under contract is the unproven Avery Bradley who played very limited minutes in 2011.

But one thing is for sure, retirement is far from Allen's radar – lost season or not.

"When you stop so abruptly — it wouldn't be anything I would accept," Allen said. "As far as being ready to play another season, I would just be ready. Especially if you get a whole year off. It's not as if you go into the next year and say I'm done. I'm not going to play anymore. We're competitors. When you lose a season like that, you come back and you're ready to get after it. It will fuel our fire, and enable us to go after it a little more next year."

Back to top Go down

Don’t Count Out The Celtics? Empty Re: Don’t Count Out The Celtics?

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:02 pm

That's my Ray!!! He will not give in no matter what the press and the announcers on ESPN have to say. He is still a very talented basketball player.
I look forward to watching him soon.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Rosalie

he has to be the most level headed player in the current NBA.

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Seems real close to what I've been sayin since Garnett was signed. This team ain't done yet! Go Celtics!
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by painter33 Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Not exactly on topic, but is there a better person and citizen than Ray Allen? When compared to the average self-agrandizing athlete, he's an astute, humble, and informed person who would be successful in any other profession. Like Dave Bing, I could see Ray as a mayor or in a higher political office some day. For his and his family's sake though, I hope not.
painter33
painter33

Back to top Go down

Post by painter33 Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:11 pm

I might also have mentioned Bill Bradley and Kevin Johnson. If only Dollar hadn't just grabbed and held onto Havlicek as his form of defense, he might be more admirable.
painter33
painter33

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down