Fall Reading!

4 posters

Go down

Fall Reading! Empty Fall Reading!

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:56 pm

I didn't do too much this summer, went away a couple of times, but, I did happen to read two books that really captured my attention. The first book was
"Fall River Dreams" by Bill Reynolds. It is a story about the history of Fall River, Mass and Durfee High School. I found it so interesting. The second book
was "Basketball Junkie". by Chris Herren and Reynolds. What a story! Boy what a life that kid led. Anyway, I just thought I would mention these two books to any of you who might find them interesting. I was totally taken with both books. I always thought that Herren was one heck of a young ball player. What a life he led, and what he threw away. Just a thought......
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Fall Reading! Empty Re: Fall Reading!

Post by swish Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:29 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I didn't do too much this summer, went away a couple of times, but, I did happen to read two books that really captured my attention. The first book was
"Fall River Dreams" by Bill Reynolds. It is a story about the history of Fall River, Mass and Durfee High School. I found it so interesting. The second book
was "Basketball Junkie". by Chris Herren and Reynolds. What a story! Boy what a life that kid led. Anyway, I just thought I would mention these two books to any of you who might find them interesting. I was totally taken with both books. I always thought that Herren was one heck of a young ball player. What a life he led, and what he threw away. Just a thought......
Lived 5 miles from Fall River Rosalie. Big fan of all those Durfee teams starting in 1947.Made the trip to the old Garden for the Tech Tourney every March to root on those great Durfee teams. Was there the night, in 1956, when Durfee beat Winchester High for the state championship in what was the greatest High School game I ever saw. Thanks for bringing back the memories.
swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:29 pm

then you must have been around for the early years of Skip Karam as coach of Durfee. I am telling you, Fall River Dreams would really bring you back in time.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks Rosalie, I'll check them out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks for the post, Rosalie. Boy, the Tech Tournament was an amazing phenomenon. I lived next to Somerville in Arlington. It seemed that Somerville always had great teams, backboned of course by the Perry family. Imagine having a high school tournament broadcast over the radio.

Nice to know that Chris Herron's story will become more familiar to a lot of people. Thanks again.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:25 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:then you must have been around for the early years of Skip Karam as coach of Durfee. I am telling you, Fall River Dreams would really bring you back in time.

Sure was Rosalie. My first awareness of Skip was around 1952-53 when I saw him play at the tech tourney. For many years Durfee basketball was all about coaches Luke Urban and Tom "skip" karam. While I have not read the book,as a daily reader of the Providence Journal since 1960, Billy Reynolds has kept the public well informed on the Durfee sports scene including "Fall River Dreams".
swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down