Ray Allen interview on WEEI

3 posters

Go down

Ray Allen interview on WEEI Empty Ray Allen interview on WEEI

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:38 pm

"I don't feel older," he said. "The only time I feel older is based on outside pressure from the younger guys that come in the organization. You see guys that are 22 years old coming in and they have so much energy. It's interesting when they say they're tired. Because I don't get tired now. You just know how to manage your body, prepare, get in the gym early enough so you can be ready for practice. When I was younger, I never had to do that. They're there now, but I'm trying to get them to where they start understanding how to prepare."

On his NBA future: "When I decide to stop playing, it won't be because of me. I think it will be more because of my circumstances. … Obviously, for one, if I'm not here anymore, that's a huge deterrent. You end up having to play somewhere that's not to the standards of where I've been in here for these last four or five years. Physically, I'm in a great place. So, I don't worry about that at all. But again, there's so many unforeseen circumstances that can take place that can cause me to say it's time for me to hang it up."

On re-signing with the Celtics when his contract expires after this season: "Am I thinking about it? Yeah, of course I'm thinking about it. I don't need or want to go anywhere. But we've got to get the rally hats going so we can sign that new deal. That's a Danny Ainge question. But of course I'd love to continue to be here."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ray Allen interview on WEEI Empty Re: Ray Allen interview on WEEI

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:48 pm

It's redundant and a cliche, but Ray Allen is the consumate professional, and more importantly the epitomy of CLASS! I don't have a crystal ball to know how much longer he can last. However, whenever Ray does depart, he will leave this already rich franchise even richer for the dedication and achievements he has brought to the Celtics. Ray is a throwback to the days of Sam Jones, Bill Russell and the Celts of the late 50's & 60's. He is always prepared to play, and always projects the most positive of images for his team, his sport, his family,and of course, for himself. Thankfully, Boston fans have grown to appreciate him the past 4 years.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:03 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:It's redundant and a cliche, but Ray Allen is the consumate professional, and more importantly the epitomy of CLASS! I don't have a crystal ball to know how much longer he can last. However, whenever Ray does depart, he will leave this already rich franchise even richer for the dedication and achievements he has brought to the Celtics. Ray is a throwback to the days of Sam Jones, Bill Russell and the Celts of the late 50's & 60's. He is always prepared to play, and always projects the most positive of images for his team, his sport, his family,and of course, for himself. Thankfully, Boston fans have grown to appreciate him the past 4 years.

MD!

MD,

I agree 110%!! When Ray Allen was traded to the Celtics on draft day in 2008, and we were still mired on BDC, the reaction there was overwhelmingly negative. "Oh, we've traded away our future for an old man who's coming off of surgery! Oh, fire Danny! Fire Danny!". Living in the SF bay area, I was lucky enough to have watched Ray Allen play a lot for the Seattle Supersonics and I knew exactly how good he was and I knew that he only had surgery to remove a bone spur in his heel. FAR from a career-ending or even career-limiting procedure. Just the opposite, in fact. I waged a long and tireless fight against the Nattering Nabobs of Negativism (thank you, William Safire, wherever you are) to try and convince them that DWest, Wally and the #5 pick was a good deal for this kind of talent, even in the second half of his career.

As we know now, but didn't know on that draft day, is that Danny was sweetening the pot not for Kevin McHale, but for KG. KG kiboshed the first attempt at a trade to Boston because he didn't think him and PP were enough. KG saw that we needed another piece and, when Danny got Ray, KG saw that piece and signed off on the second trade that brought us #17 and a ton of great basketball over the past 4 years (going on 5). KG, rightfully, gets a lot of the credit for centering this team around defense and giving it a backbone, but no Ray Allen, no KG.

One of the things I love about Ray, is his maturity and professionalism, which you mentioned. Everyday the kids play with him, see him in the gym, see him taking care of his body, talk to him about what it takes to make it in the NBA, is the gift that just keeps on giving to this franchise.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Ray is truly a tremendous athlete who could probably contribute for 2/3 more years. probably the best pure shooter in Celtics history but no one knows what the future holds. Da has decided to make at least one more run at the title.

If we miss I would anticipate major changes next year.

here's hoping Ray has a great year.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down