+5
jeb
Sam
beat
mrkleen09
gyso
9 posters

Go down

Celtics give Rondo $55 million extension Empty Celtics give Rondo $55 million extension

Post by gyso Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:13 am

Great news!!!

"League sources said the extension is for five years and guarantees Rondo at least $55 million. With the two sides facing a Monday deadline to get a deal done, Duffy said he called Celtics president Danny Ainge on Sunday to inform him Rondo was prepared to play out his contract and become a restricted free agent next summer because they weren’t satisfied with the team’s previous offers. Ainge, however, surprised Duffy by responding that Rondo’s contract hopes would be met."

There's more:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApVxaJ9tBwqDbIKdOTbpeVs5nYcB?slug=mc-rondoextension110109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

“This is unbelievable for a kid that was taken far down in the draft,” Duffy said of Rondo, who was picked 21st overall in the 2006 draft. “But we’ve said that it’s not where you’re drafted, but where you are selected. He ended up being in the perfect situation.”

gyso

Back to top Go down

Celtics give Rondo $55 million extension Empty Re: Celtics give Rondo $55 million extension

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:31 am

This is a good move for all parties involved, as Rondo is really coming into his own – and this will free his mind to concentrate on destroying opponents and helping the team win #18.

As it relates to NBA contracts, I didn’t blink at this. As it relates to real life, I admit I did a double take. $11 million dollars a year to play a game seems truly obscene. But that ship has long since sailed, so no point in even mentioning it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Celtics give Rondo $55 million extension Empty Re: Celtics give Rondo $55 million extension

Post by beat Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:40 am

He was our point when we won it all 2 years ago.

He took us about as far as he could last year as injuries and fatigue took it's toll on the others.

I'm glad this is over, as you say mrkleen, what are the limits if his mind is soley on playing hoops?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:05 am

The game seems to be headed in the direction of being PG-dominated, so this signing positions the Celtics pretty well for the future. They're unlikely to have any top draft picks (short of trades) as time passes, and they can focus their acquisitions on other positions and on players who can complement Rondo's strengths.

Moreover, whatever moves Danny might make next summer won't be delayed or derailed by a major unknown relating to Rondo.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:37 am

Way to go suits! I am happy he is locked up. The games I have watched Rondo dominated them with his assist and D.

Cheers Danny

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:37 am

cheryle tiegs comes through again!!!!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:40 am

I'm happy to see this resolved. In the grand scheme of things it's a smart deal for both sides.

At 23 years of age and 55mil coming in over 5 years I think Rondo can go ahead and splurge on the new iPhone and maybe pick up a dinner tab.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:54 am

This is great news. Great news.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:36 pm

I think this is a great deal for both the Celtics and Rondo.

It proves that they see Rondo as one of their top players, eliminates any tension during the season and provides a better team salary total amount going into 2010.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down