worcester
beat
sinus007
Matty
mrkleen09
steve3344
10 posters

Go down

SI puts both Celts & Lakers in "Aged Out of Contention" category Empty SI puts both Celts & Lakers in "Aged Out of Contention" category

Post by steve3344 Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:00 am

SI's NBA predictions: Boston and the Lakers "non-contenders":

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/12/21/breaking-down-the-2011-12-contenders/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp&hpt=hp_c2

steve3344

Back to top Go down

SI puts both Celts & Lakers in "Aged Out of Contention" category Empty Re: SI puts both Celts & Lakers in "Aged Out of Contention" category

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:12 am

Sports Illustrated giving advice on basketball is like Newt giving advice on marriage. Very Happy
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

SI puts both Celts & Lakers in "Aged Out of Contention" category Empty Re: SI puts both Celts & Lakers in "Aged Out of Contention" category

Post by Matty Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:50 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Sports Illustrated giving advice on basketball is like Newt giving advice on marriage. Very Happy

i'll second that, they ought to stick with what they are good at, swimsuit issue's. cheers
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi,
I wonder who wrote that article?
Celtics have been aged out contention for the last 2 years but only injuries to the key players kept them from winning it.
As for the Lakers, they've shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of Odom and acquiring a coaching genius.
All in all, a publication such as SI is anachronism nowdays, IMO.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:19 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I wonder who wrote that article?
Celtics have been aged out contention for the last 2 years but only injuries to the key players kept them from winning it.
As for the Lakers, they've shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of Odom and acquiring a coaching genius.
All in all, a publication such as SI is anachronism nowdays, IMO.

AK

Sinus

A part of their prediction is perhaps based on the age/injury factor. Injuries happen and it is the very lucky team that can go thru a season with no key players going down. Sort of like us in 08.

What is SI down to now anyway....25-30 pages and most of them liquor adds?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:31 pm

The Donald advised Rick Reilly not to jump ship for ESPN and to stick with SI.

And I thought Trump was smart.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:41 pm

worcester wrote:The Donald advised Rick Reilly not to jump ship for ESPN and to stick with SI.

And I thought Trump was smart.

Back when I actually read SI, think I always went to the back and read Reilly first. Usually had a pretty good piece.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Me too.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm completely demoralized. In 61 years as a Celtics fan, I've never before experienced a season when any media pundit predicted that the Celtics were over the hill. And I've learned to place such complete faith in what they say.

Say, there goes a stray balloon overhead. I wonder where it came from. Hmmmm......Balloons! Balloons! Somehow that word has a familiar ring. Oh yeah. Big gas bags.

I love pundits and their predictions. Terminal Rectosis Incarnate. Predict something enough times and maybe the Law of Averages will kick in.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Let's see...

San Antonio was too old in '07.

We were already too old in '08.

LA was too old in '09 and '10.

Dallas was too old in '11.

And now The Celtics and The Lakers are too old again this year.

OK. I'm good. See you in the finals, Lakers.

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:12 am

What a shock that the Miami Lebroms were first on the list and the reigning champs were deemed out of contention. Sure, Dallas lost Chandler. But they picked up Odom.

There's a category the SI "expert" didn't consider: heart. Ray Allen was talking about it when he spoke about his new teammate E'taun Moore, about why he dropped to the second round. Because the experts don't even take it into consideration.

It may be worth a few laughs to revisit this article towards the end of the season. Chances are that many teams that are way down the list are going to rise toward the upper echelon. And even if Miami goes undefeated for the regular season, the lack of heart of their star player is going to be their downfall.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:21 pm

What would we do without SI to tell us what is going to happen.

I don't really care about their predictions for other teams. Here's my prediction

The Celtics alowed 91 PPG last year, the best in the NBA. I think they will continue to be at the top this year particularly with a healthy JON and a strong backcourt rotation that will really press the ball more.

On offense Rondo is going to turn into a 15 PPG scorer becasue he has to! The big three are all in excellent condition with the exception of the heel injury to Pierce and there is a perfect mix between the veteran rotation players and the pups.

My surprise player of the year will be Moore.

Doc will manage the minutes of the older guys and keep them fresh for the playoffs. The Celtics may be an older team but their bench is very deep this year.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down