POST GAME WASHINGTON

+3
sinus007
MDCelticsFan
7 posters

Go down

POST GAME WASHINGTON Empty POST GAME WASHINGTON

Post by 112288 Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:38 pm

I hope Ray Allen is ok, god another injury. Seems like the Gods are against us. At least Paul Pierce is back, now for the rest of the team! Well a win is a win and we need every win we can get. It is a start and with the Knicks loosing last night we are not loosing ground and still in the hunt.

WEEI - Celtics guard Ray Allen jammed his left ankle early in the second quarter when he ran around a screen set by the Wizards' Jan Vesely and did not return to the game. There was no contact on the play, but Allen appeared to roll his ankle. The veteran guard had double ankle surgery in 2006-07, the season before he joined the Celtics, but has not had any major ankle issues in his four-plus years with the team.

Orlando Magic tomorrow night Home @ 7:30pm

WEEI 850 RECAP

FAST BREAK: THE TRUTH SETS CELTICS FREE
By Paul Flannery

The Celtics have been waiting for Paul Pierce to arrive and the captain delivered on Sunday afternoon in a 100-94 win over the Wizards. Pierce scored 34 points to go with seven rebounds and 10 assists and looked like the Pierce of old, as opposed to an old version of Paul Pierce.

While Pierce helped their best offensive performance in weeks, their defense was routinely burned in transition by the younger, faster Wizards and a double-digit third quarter lead quickly evaporated. The Celtics were able to hold on down the stretch thanks to Pierce and solid games from Brandon Bass — 13 points and nine rebounds — and Kevin Garnett who scored 13 of his 17 points in the second half.

They were once again without Rajon Rondo, who missed his second straight game with a sprained right wrist. They also lost Ray Allen to a sprained left ankle early in the second quarter. He went back to the locker room and did not return.

The Celtics had lost six of seven games heading into Sunday and are now 6-8. Half of their wins have come against Washington, but they’ll take them any way they can get them right now. They’re back in action on Monday at the Garden against the Magic as Glen Davis makes his return to Boston.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

– Pierce had his breakout game for the Celtics, doing a little bit of everything. His effect on his teammates was evident by his 10 assists. When the Wizards doubled him off pick and rolls he found Bass for a jumper. He also got Garnett going in the second half with solid pick-and-pop action.

– The Celtics had assists on 13 of 16 makes in first half and had much better ball movement and spacing than in recent games. That went away in the second half as they relied on Pierce to generate their offense, but it was a positive step.

– Mickael Pietrus had to play big minutes after Allen jammed his left ankle and the veteran swingman played well. He knocked down two 3-pointers, but he also went to the post and drew a foul and put the ball on the floor to create a jump shot. Pietrus also committed two bad fouls in the fourth quarter, but he played well in his first game with major minutes.

– Bass also had a solid game, scoring 13 points to go with nine rebounds. He looked much more comfortable in the Celtics’ sets and had a strong finish going through JaVale McGee.

WHAT WENT WRONG

– Allen began the game making three of his first four shots as the Celtics made a concerted effort to get him off screens. But Allen jammed his left ankle early in the second quarter when he ran around a screen set by the Wizards’ Jan Vesely. There was no contact on the play. Allen went back to the locker room and did not return.

– E’Twaun Moore has had his moments thus far in his rookie season, but so far that hasn’t translated into production. He’s made only one of his last 15 shots. Marquis Daniels has also struggled and beyond Bass and Pietrus, the Celtics bench has yielded few results.

– Avery Bradley remains a work in progress. He took several wild shots and careened into three Wizards on the fast break and got called for a charge. Bradley had six rebounds and seven assists, but he also was 1-for-8 from the floor and 1-for-4 from the free throw line with six turnovers. Wizards’ guard John Wall had his way with him on the defensive end, scoring 27 points to go with 10 rebounds and seven assists.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME WASHINGTON Empty Re: POST GAME WASHINGTON

Post by MDCelticsFan Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Bradley was terrible, and the middle of the Celtic defense is extremely pourous. I thought Pietrus and Bass gave some timely contributions. Pierce was a world beater, or at least a Wizards befuddler. Garnett had some meaningful hoops at critical junctures in the 3rd & 4th quarters. Without Allen & Rondo tomorrow night outlook is bleak at best. It will be interesting to see what kind of reception Davis gets at The Garden tomorrow night in light of his disappearing act last part of last season and the playoffs. He was also very petulant in his departure!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi,
Win is a win is a win.
AB's actually done a good job on defense. Unfortunately he a non-factor on the other end.
Thankfully they have PP who did whatever he wanted whichever way he wanted.
Once again, what a great pickup is MP.
I hope there's nothing serious with RA.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:01 pm

MD

come on give the kid a little slack... he handled the ball well hustled back played pretty good D against one of the quickest players in the league. Bitch about his shooting till the cows come home is fine. Was not afraid to take it to the hoop and try.

How many games has he played any meaningful minutes? Rondo is sort of a tough act to replace. He's about all we had to put out there. Did OK in my book considering everything. Played 41 minutes and we won. Beats the alternative.

Betcha you can find dozens of great players who have had far worse games with lots more games under their belts early in their careers.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:06 am

Starving for a win...cannot complain about anything

At least we are better than Washington. Agree with Beat about AB.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:05 am

Beat:

I'm saying Bradley's game just hit "The Wall." (LOL)

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:40 am

Bradley is not on this team to score.....so anything we get from him in that regard is a bonus. He has actually run the team very well....and is making strides in terms of his control of the ball, understanding of the offense etc.

The difference with him in the gave vs. anyone other than Rondo running the point is night and day.

Overall, it wasnt pretty - but it was a win.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 am

Mrkleen,

Only way Bradley learns is by playing. This season will be a make or break for him. I just wish Johnson would get some time.

Last edited by 112288 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:32 am

Wished I had seen the game. Spent the day on football (the 9 a.m. PST start didn't help either). Spent last evening watching my 49er fan friends on suicide watch. What a tough loss. Go Pats.

Thanks for the comments here. Can't say more, because I didn't actually see it, but I agree with the common sentiment running through all these posts. A win is a win is a win and boy did we need a win...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 am

bobheckler wrote:Wished I had seen the game. Spent the day on football (the 9 a.m. PST start didn't help either). Spent last evening watching my 49er fan friends on suicide watch. What a tough loss. Go Pats.

Thanks for the comments here. Can't say more, because I didn't actually see it, but I agree with the common sentiment running through all these posts. A win is a win is a win and boy did we need a win...

bob

Bob

Interesting gridiron games for sure.

As for the C's doubt the effort would have beaten too many other teams, but this is Washington, we need to schedule them a whole bunch more. PP was quite impresive down the stretch, got what he wanted when he wanted almost every trip and made them. When they finally doubled him he dropped one to a cutting JO for a potential dunk but there was a foul. PP turned the clock back a little went iso a few times and ended up with a good look and made most of them. Not the way to win most times but again this is the Washignton Generals,,,, er I mean Bullets... opps lets try the Wizards.

Lost RA early and his status tonight is ????? Rondo ?????

KG hit a wide open shot late to seal it but as you and almost everyone with working eyeballs can see, he is really just a shell of what he was. Contained Blatch OK but the end of the road looks close for KG I'm afraid.

MO and BB are becoming more like cornerstones than bench role players they were suppose to be and boy where would we be without them?

A very tough game tonight, heck every game is tough. Would love to somehow find a way to take it and make DH at least think about us. (man that would be a great place to play) Return of Baby, he'll probably get a warm response but nothing like Perk got.

Lakers losing a close one at home is always worth noting.

So when do we play Washington again???

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:22 am

Beat:

Howard will only think of Boston in passing. The movie making star power money is in LA I think the C's play the Wizards on March 25th at TD Garden.
I bet Kobe's restructure his contract for that.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:30 am

MDCelticsFan wrote:Beat:

Howard will only think of Boston in passing. The movie making star power money is in LA I think the C's play the Wizards on March 25th at TD Garden.

MD!

After what he gave up in the divorce.............. Kobe needs a structure not a restructure!! LOL

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:05 pm

beat wrote:
MDCelticsFan wrote:Beat:

MD!

After what he gave up in the divorce.............. Kobe needs a structure not a restructure!! LOL

beat

beat,

Kobe must be hoping the league is going to start a franchise in the Cayman Islands...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down