The Difference Between Paul & Kobe

5 posters

Go down

The Difference Between Paul & Kobe Empty The Difference Between Paul & Kobe

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:42 am

The difference between these two mirrors the difference between a Celtic and a Laker. Kobe was just happy to have past Shaq on the all-time scoring list and appeared to be far less concerned about the loss his team suffered to the 'Sixers. Paul Pierce, we know, likely will pass Larry Bird tonight to move into second on the franchise's all-time scoring list. Paul, rest assured will be more focused on securing a win for the C's and letting other matters take care of themselves. We certainly hope NOT, but on the off chance of a Bobcat upset tonight, I bet Paul would care less about records and points. Pierce generally does what he feels the team needs from him in any given situation. nobody knows how much is left in his tank. However, he's burned pretty much 93 Octane up until now!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

The Difference Between Paul & Kobe Empty Re: The Difference Between Paul & Kobe

Post by Sam Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:32 am

MD,

We can never be certain how much emphasis a given player inwardly plays on gaining a certain plateau or having his legacy buttressed by a particular stat. Some are just better than others at reciting the party line about caring only about the team, while being secure in the knowledge that the media machine will do their "stat trumpeting" for them.

However, there is usually a subtle distinction in how a player handles an opportunity for self-promotion. Does he appear to be embracing it or deflecting it? We can never truly appraise the degree of sincerity with which he does either.

I do know that most players are well aware of their stats and take pride in their stats. I also know that their true "colors" with respect to self-promotion are often revealed by (1) the specific words they use in responding to media queries as well as (2) the context for those remarks established by the specific way in which the media asked the questions.

Paul Pierce happens to be very good at downplaying personal achievements. Most Celtics have been very good at it, which is one reason I always detested the Antoine Walker Wiggle because sometimes actions speak louder than words.

I didn't happen to read or hear any specific comments by Kobe or specific media questions on this matter, so I'd have to withhold any judgment on that situation. If you provided a quote or link in this case, I missed it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:44 am

Sam:

Much of my feelings came from the prideful embrace Kobe engaged in with Derek Fisher after he accomplished the milestone during the LA-Philly game last night. Bryant seemingly was basking in the moment while losing sight of the more important goal of winning the game.

MD..

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Every competitive athlete, at the pro and amateur level, have egos. It is a job requirement.

It is well-known that Paul Pierce took his selection at the #10 pick by the Celtics (he believed he deserved to be picked higher, talk about ego!) personally and made a point of punishing every team that passed over him every time he played against them for years. Pierce himself admitted it.

Kobe and Shaq have had, shall we say, a less than fraternal relationship. Passing Shaq, therefore, might very well have been personal to Kobe.

As I noted on the Post-Memphis thread, in a conversation with Steve, Kobe shot a horrendous 1-10 in the 4th quarter and probably cost his team the game. I don't know when Kobe achieved this milestone and celebrated, but I'll bet it wasn't in the 4th quarter. More likely, it was earlier in the game, when the Lakers were ahead.

Pierce will almost certainly pass Larry Bird tonight. Let's see how he handles it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:58 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote: The difference between these two mirrors the difference between a Celtic and a Laker. Kobe was just happy to have past Shaq on the all-time scoring list and appeared to be far less concerned about the loss his team suffered to the 'Sixers. Paul Pierce, we know, likely will pass Larry Bird tonight to move into second on the franchise's all-time scoring list. Paul, rest assured will be more focused on securing a win for the C's and letting other matters take care of themselves. We certainly hope NOT, but on the off chance of a Bobcat upset tonight, I bet Paul would care less about records and points. Pierce generally does what he feels the team needs from him in any given situation. nobody knows how much is left in his tank. However, he's burned pretty much 93 Octane up until now!

MD!

I couldn't disagree more with your post about Kobe.
Kobe passed Shaq mid way through the 2nd quarter.
He didn't raise his arms or celebrate.
Fisher came over and gave him a hug.

By the time the second half came around, that was a distant memory.
Kobe and LA did not execute down the stretch while Philly did.
It is not fair to say that Kobe was more concerned with passing Shaq then winning the game.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:15 pm

MD.

So your conclusion was based on a hug? Who was the hugger and who was the hugee? Was tongue involved? Did either guy whisper in the other guy's ear?

I personally can't stand Kobe, and it's my own impression that he is an above-average egomanic. Yet it's only an impression about which I have nothing but a perpetual smirk as a basis; and I'd be reluctant try to make it an issue based on a smirk. I'm afraid a hug just doesn't do it for me. I've seen Paul Pierce hug people too—sometimes after his own achievements.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:45 pm

In an interesting bit of timing, this was posted today on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7551496/larry-bird-love-play-los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant

Boston Celtics great Larry Bird saw the Los Angeles Lakers as the enemy during his playing days, but there's one current Laker he'd like on his side if he were playing today -- Kobe Bryant.

Appearing on "The B.S. Report" with Grantland.com's Bill Simmons, Bird said that LeBron James is one of the greatest players and we should all sit back and enjoy what he can do on the basketball court. He even calls him the best player in the league, but he's not the player he would go into battle with.

If he could choose any current player that he'd like to play a season with, who would it be, Bird was asked.

"Well, probably Kobe, because of the fact that ... well, of course he wouldn't have been shooting as much as he does now ... but his desire to win, his dedication, to always get better, uh, and he's just, he's just tough," Bird said. "He's just a tough cat.

"But, if you want to have fun, like I did with Bill Walton, play with LeBron. It would have probably been more fun to play with LeBron, but if you want to win and win and win, it's Kobe. Not that LeBron's not a winner, just that [Kobe's] mindset is to go into every practice, every game, to get better."

Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Paul will likely be faithful to Julie and their daughter showing his higher value of the family unit than Kobe. Kobe will likely have to finish in the Italian League to wind up his child support payments and continue his alimony payments until his mid 40's

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:01 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:Paul will likely be faithful to Julie and their daughter showing his higher value of the family unit than Kobe. Kobe will likely have to finish in the Italian League to wind up his child support payments and continue his alimony payments until his mid 40's

This is pure speculation and complete Kobe bashing.
I would expect the post above to be made on BDC, not here...

Kobe's wife received $75m and 3 houses.
Kobe makes over $50m/year through salary and endorsements.
I doubt he will need to play in the Italian League to pay child support.

Paul's faithfulness to his wife is no more guaranteed then any other player in the NBA.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:41 am

Tj:

I'm just curuios, Did Kobe use Tiger Woods' divorce lawyer, and are they Best Buds traveling in the same circles?

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:23 am

MDCelticsFan wrote:Tj:

I'm just curuios, Did Kobe use Tiger Woods' divorce lawyer, and are they Best Buds traveling in the same circles?

MD!
Wow. Are we back at BDC?

MD, you're a Celtic fan, and you're allowed to hate Kobe, but seriously.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:25 pm

MD!

I have to make sure you never talk to any of my ex-girlfriends...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 pm

BobH:

Your secrets are safe from public scrutiny. You are not a professed or and assumed role model by default. With you, discretion is the better part of valor. And that's why you took the road less traveled by.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:09 pm

MD!

I have no interest in knowing who Kobe's divorce lawyer was.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:41 pm

tjmakz wrote:

MD!

I have no interest in knowing who Kobe's divorce lawyer was.

TJ,

Here's hoping you, nor anybody else on this board, ever needs to.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Right now, it seems to me that the important things are...

(1) ...how the two guys play on the court, not off the court.

(2) ...the fact that Kobe is playing like a real leader, Paul seems headed strongly in that direction, and either of them is still capable of carrying the team on his back when most needed.

Fans of both guys can be pretty happy about where they are this season, and an extended series between the two teams at the end of the season could be very competitive (given the absence of severe injuries on either side). (Front court emphasis versus guard emphasis. Fascinating.) Isn't that really what it's all about?

Comparing two individuals, especially on their non-basketball personality traits, somehow seems so un-Celticlike.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down