MANNIX ON D&C: C'S STILL IN HUNT FOR HOWARD

2 posters

Go down

MANNIX ON D&C: C'S STILL IN HUNT FOR HOWARD Empty MANNIX ON D&C: C'S STILL IN HUNT FOR HOWARD

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 am

By: Kirk Minihane

Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix joined the Dennis & Callahan show Tuesday morning to discuss all things NBA. With the trade deadline approaching [March 15] and the Celtics at 15-12 and in the seventh spot in the Eastern Conference, it would seem Danny Ainge might be tempted to make a major move. But Mannix believes the Celtics might stick with the current roster for the rest of the season and wait until the summer to try and make a splash.

"I honestly think the Celtics believe they are not out of the running for a guy like Dwight Howard," Mannix said of the Orlando center, who is eligible for free agency after the season. "I know Boston believes they can't get him in a trade, but I really believe the Celtics think they can sell Dwight Howard on the city and on the team if he makes it to free agency. … And Boston, to be honest with you, they've got a pretty good pitch. They can tell him they have Rajon Rondo in place, a great point guard, a top-five point guard, Paul Pierce under contract for the next few years and all this cap space to give him a max deal. I think Boston has a real chance to make a strong pitch to Dwight Howard if he makes it to free agency."

Trade rumors continue to surround Rajon Rondo. Mannix dismissed a recent story that suggested a possible Rondo-for-Pau Gasol swap, and told Dennis & Callahan that's Rondo's established performance level and manageable contract makes him the kind of the player Ainge would want to rebuild around, not trade.

"The only way they would deal a guy like Rondo is for the two guys I know they've shopped him for, which is Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul," Mannix said. "That type of player they'd deal Rondo for, anyone else they aren't going to do it."

Back to top Go down

MANNIX ON D&C: C'S STILL IN HUNT FOR HOWARD Empty Re: MANNIX ON D&C: C'S STILL IN HUNT FOR HOWARD

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 pm

This Mannix is news to me. I thought Mike Connors played Mannix in the late 60's and early-mid 70's. Every thug in SoCal knew where his office was. If I had a dollar for every time his secretary, Peggy (Gail Fisher) was kidnapped, I could retire a rich man! (LOL)

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down