AINGE: WON'T DEAL FUTURE ASSETS FOR PRESENT

Go down

AINGE: WON'T DEAL FUTURE ASSETS FOR PRESENT Empty AINGE: WON'T DEAL FUTURE ASSETS FOR PRESENT

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:25 pm

WEEI

PAUL FLANNERY

Celtics team president Danny Ainge said on The Big Show that whole there's "nothing close," to happening, he won't surrender a future asset to help the current team. "It's a fine line," Ainge said. "But I'm not going to sacrifice future assets to help our bench right at this minute." Ainge said that he gets a "handful" of calls a day but that nothing is imminent as the March 15 trade deadline approaches.

"As of right now we have nothing close to happening," he said. "It's not from a lack of trying. Not necessarily to make major changes, but to make small changes at least."

Ainge said that he feels his roster is in better shape now than where it was in 2003 when he took over basketball operations both in terms of talent and contracts.

"You've got to have some good things go your way to rebuild. We've got some good pieces," he said. "We've got some players still under contract that we really like still on the roster. More than we did in the 2002-2003 era. Completely rebuild, I'm not sure we really need to do that."

Asked about injured center Jermaine O'Neal, who has missed the last six games while he considers having surgery on his wrist, Ainge said he wasn't sure what would happen.

"I'm not sure. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do with Jermaine and what he wants to do," Ainge said. "Jermaine and I have been in constant contact and we'll keep communicating over the next week or so."

Asked if he could trade O'Neal contract, Ainge said that it was, "more unlikely than likely."

Finally, Jeff Green, who will be an unrestricted free agent when he returns to the court, has been with the team the last few days. Ainge said that his comeback from heart surgery has been ahead of schedule.

"I think he's going to be better than ever next year," Ainge said. "He's a hardworking kid and I think he has a bright future."

Back to top Go down