Thibbs Fastest to 100 Victories!

4 posters

Go down

Thibbs Fastest to 100 Victories! Empty Thibbs Fastest to 100 Victories!

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:24 am

Anybody see the report that Thom Thibbedeau is now in the record books as the coach making it to 100 victories faster than anyone. Yes including Auerbach, Jackson, Riley, Wilkins and anyone else you'd care to mention. I'd be in favor of giving Doc Ainge's job and playing Godfather to Thibbs by making him an offer he can't refuse to come back to Boston to coach. If Wyc wants to keep Ainge, give him a scouting job.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Thibbs Fastest to 100 Victories! Empty Re: Thibbs Fastest to 100 Victories!

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:47 am

Nothing like starting your head coaching career with an MVP, Derrick Rose, and two all-star forwards, Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng to pad your stats.

I can't help but wonder how he would have done if he started with the same team Doc and Danny started with in 2004 (Danny was hired in May, 2004 after we got swept in the 1st round by Indiana, hired Doc after the end of the season):

Rookie Tony Allen
Sophomore Marcus Banks
Mark Blount
Loose Cannon Ricky Davis
Tom Gugliotta
Rookie Al Jefferson
Raef LaFrentz
Walter McCarty
36 year old Gary Payton
Sophomore Kendrick Perkins
Pierce
Rookie Justin Reed
Antoine (I'm 6'8" but I play like 6'3") Walker
Jiri Welsch
Rookie Delonte West

4 rookies, 3 sophomores and an ancient, soon-to-be-replaced point guard.

Like Phil Jackson in Chicago and LA, Thibs was fortunate to walk into an already stacked team. Few are so fortunate. People were calling for Jerry Krause's head post-MJ too. It has taken him longer to put together a damn good team than it took Ainge.

Nevertheless, Thibs is a nice guy and a helluva coach. Congrats to him on this stat. He still needs to win a championship to truly match up, though. That's the stat that really counts, in my books.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 pm

bobheckler wrote:Nothing like starting your head coaching career with an MVP, Derrick Rose, and two all-star forwards, Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng to pad your stats.

I can't help but wonder how he would have done if he started with the same team Doc and Danny started with in 2004 (Danny was hired in May, 2004 after we got swept in the 1st round by Indiana, hired Doc after the end of the season):

Rookie Tony Allen
Sophomore Marcus Banks
Mark Blount
Loose Cannon Ricky Davis
Tom Gugliotta
Rookie Al Jefferson
Raef LaFrentz
Walter McCarty
36 year old Gary Payton
Pierce
Rookie Justin Reed
Jiri Welsch
Rookie Delonte West

Like Phil Jackson in Chicago and LA, Thibs was fortunate to walk into an already stacked team. Few are so fortunate. People were calling for Jerry Krause's head post-MJ too. It has taken him longer to put together a damn good team than it took Ainge.

Nevertheless, Thibs is a nice guy and a helluva coach. Congrats to him on this stat. He still needs to win a championship to truly match up, though. That's the stat that really counts, in my books.

bob

* That lineup seems like a century ago.

Looking at that roster makes you really appreciate what we've had since '07.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:44 pm

NYCelt wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Nothing like starting your head coaching career with an MVP, Derrick Rose, and two all-star forwards, Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng to pad your stats.

Rookie Tony Allen
Sophomore Marcus Banks
Mark Blount
Loose Cannon Ricky Davis
Tom Gugliotta
Rookie Al Jefferson
Raef LaFrentz
Walter McCarty
36 year old Gary Payton
Pierce
Rookie Justin Reed
Jiri Welsch
Rookie Delonte West

bob

* That lineup seems like a century ago.

Looking at that roster makes you really appreciate what we've had since '07.

NYCelt,

I should have mentioned that Perk only played a grand total of 35 minutes his rookie year, recording a total of 22 points and 14 rebounds in 10 games. So, while this technically was his second year, he barely showed up in his first one.

By comparison Avery Bradley, who spent time in Maine and only took to the floor during blowouts in his first year, scored a total of 52 points and 17 rebounds in 162 minutes over 30 games.

My point is that while we all came to love and respect Perk's game in later years, in his first year he was even less of a factor than Bradley was in his. So, his sophomore year was more like a true playing rookie year.

Even in his second year, which was Doc and Danny's first year, he only played 548 total minutes. Bradley has already played 699 in this, his second season, and it's still ongoing.

Lucky Thib. He came right out of the gate with a team that was already positioned to make it to the 2nd round. Doc and Danny inherited a team with some promise but with no chance of being very good that year or even the next. Hard to win 100 games quickly when you're dealt a hand like that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Good for him.....from Salem State to NBA Record Holder.

Well done Thibs.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down