Austin Rivers would play for Celtics

+2
beat
NYCelt
6 posters

Go down

Austin Rivers would play for Celtics Empty Austin Rivers would play for Celtics

Post by NYCelt Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:14 pm

I know there is another thread going on Rivers' decision to enter the NBA draft. I though this one was worthy of its own thread because this is the first open comment from Austin on potentially playing for his dad.

Here's the headline and link from ESPN;

Austin Rivers would play for Celtics

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7754950/2012-nba-draft-austin-rivers-says-love-play-doc-rivers-boston-celtics

As ardent Celtics fans, we're all going to have our opinions on this, but I think you almost have to see a certain element of humor in the situation.

When you look at it on the surface, a kid who at some point was likely begging dad for the car keys three or so years back could possibly be begging Dad for game minutes in the NBA.

Depending on our roster next year, the possibilities are endless...

Austin: "Dad, I want to shoot more 3's; Ray's always taking 'em!"
Doc: "No. Ray makes his!"
Austin: "But mom said she thought I should"
Doc: (to himself) "Crap; back to the sofa again tonight."

Although the NBA is big business, and there's no room for sticky sentiment, it could be interesting to see if other teams might view Austin as a questionable shot and pass so that he falls to us. There are several 2-guards that look much better and should go first anyway. Rivers could be hanging around by our second pick, if we take one of the centers who should be available first.

There was one discussion on ESPN that I caught yesterday where they were speculating that the C's would have gotten a good look at Austin in one of the many pickup games he's played with the team over the last few years and perhaps that might lead to a comfort level in his abilities.

The one other cold hard intangible fact is that quite often a player does far better in the NBA than in college. Perhaps the C's have seen something in Rivers' game that makes them think so, or perhaps that is one of several factors that are leading him to turn pro now.

I'm personally far from suggesting we need to take him if he's available; there are at least 5 other 2-guards that look better. The odds we end up with him could increase, however.

Either way, there could be some interesting times coming to the Rivers household.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Austin Rivers would play for Celtics Empty Re: Austin Rivers would play for Celtics

Post by beat Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:44 pm

A the dinner table

Doc: "Austin, can you pass me the broccoli please?"

Austin: "Here you go dad."

Doc: " Well at least you made one good pass today!"

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Austin Rivers would play for Celtics Empty Re: Austin Rivers would play for Celtics

Post by NYCelt Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:40 pm

beat wrote:A the dinner table

Doc: "Austin, can you pass me the broccoli please?"

Austin: "Here you go dad."

Doc: " Well at least you made one good pass today!"

I could see that one happening!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:57 pm

NYCelt,
I think the exchange would be shorter:
Mrs. Rivers: Why didn't you play my son today
Doc (to himself): blip, blip, blip....

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 pm

You know I have read a few posts here on why Austin would not be a good fit. In all fairness how about posting reasons why he would be a good fit.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:03 pm

dboss wrote:You know I have read a few posts here on why Austin would not be a good fit. In all fairness how about posting reasons why he would be a good fit.

Dboss

1. He can shoot from anywhere.

2. He can shoot from anywhere.

3. He can shoot from anywhere.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Does anyone know anything about Austin's defensive abilities?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:10 pm

sam wrote:Does anyone know anything about Austin's defensive abilities?

Sam

sam,

Here's draftexpress's view of him.

1. Not very strong.
2. Mediocre defender.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Austin-Rivers-5743/

Let's see if that moniker sticks after a exhibition season with KG...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Bob,

Reading that report is like a roller coaster ride. Some major pluses and some major question marks. I wish him luck in the pros.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down