swedeinestonia
Sam
worcester
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

POST GAME PHILLY Empty POST GAME PHILLY

Post by 112288 Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Enough said, Team Defense.....Team Ball!!!!!!!

PIETRUS PASSES 'BASELINE' CONCUSSION TEST
WEEI By: Mike Petraglia

Celtics swingman Mickael Pietrus has passed the first of several concussion tests needed to receive clearance for a return to game action, coach Doc Rivers announced before Sunday's game against the Sixers.

It was against those same 76ers on March 23 that Pietrus was fouled by Lou Williams and fell awkwardly to the floor, twisting his back and snapping his head back in a whiplash fashion. Despite not hitting his head, Pietrus was on the floor for nearly 10 minutes before being carried out of Wells Fargo Center and held overnight in Philadelphia.

Pietrus was diagnosed with a concussion that left him in such discomfort that he could not walk anywhere without sunglasses. That had to improve before he was even cleared to undergo what are being termed "baseline" tests to determine the severity. There is still no timetable for a return.

But Doc Rivers sounded a bit more optimistic before Sunday's game, joking, "he's talking loud again and that's a good thing."

Pietrus has been visiting his team before home games wearing sunglasses to take away the discomfort from the glare of lights. He also visited the team during practice last Tuesday but had to leave because the sound of bouncing basketballs.

KEY MATCHUPS NY 100 - Chi 99 OT

NEXT GAME TUESDAY @ MIAMI 7:00PM NESN/ESPN

POST GAME RECAP WEEI 850AM

FAST BREAK: CELTICS DELIVER THE KNOCKOUT PUNCH
By Paul Flannery

“I can imagine right now that Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce and these guys are in there right now saying let’s deliver the knockout punch today. This game, I think they feel like, if they beat us they can knock us out.” — Philadelphia coach Doug Collins an hour before tip-off.

The Celtics didn’t win the Atlantic Division on Sunday with a 103-79 blowout win over the 76ers, but they did deliver a decisive blow to their reeling rivals. Whether Philly gets up off the mat is up to them, but with two and a half weeks left in the regular season the Celtics suddenly have a three-game lead in the division and the Sixers are tied for the final playoff spot with the Knicks, just a game ahead of the Bucks.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

Ray Allen as the microwave: For most of the season the first four minutes of the second quarter have been a time for Celtics fans to make a sandwich, pay some bills or maybe change the oil in the car. Anything but watch them struggle through ugly, scoreless basketball. That’s changed now that Ray Allen is doing his work off the bench. Allen scored eight points in his first nine minutes of playing time on 3-for-4 shooting and the lineup of Allen and Kevin Garnett along with Avery Bradley, Sasha Pavlovic and Greg Stiemsma outscored Philly 17-4 through the first six minutes of the quarter.

Offensive balance: Garnett, Bradley, Allen, Paul Pierce and Brandon Bass all took between nine and 12 shots and all five players scored in double figures. Combined, they shot 33-for-54 and scored 85 points, outscoring the Sixers in their time on the floor.

Second half Rondo: Rajon Rondo did not have a very good first half. He took only two shots and his six assists were offset by five turnovers. It was the passive Rondo, as opposed to the locked-in player we’ve seen over the last month. The third quarter was a totally different story. Just after a pass to no one that seemed to indicate more of the same, Rondo took it upon himself to drain fallaway jumpers with the shot clock running down from opposite sides of the court. He had nine assists and zero turnovers in the quarter and the Celtics scored 34 points on one of the best defenses in the league.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Turnovers: The one thing the Celtics said they couldn’t do against Philadelphia was turn the ball over. So, naturally they turned it over five times in the first quarter. That was the only thing that kept Philly in the game because when they weren’t turning it over, the Celtics were shooting 65 percent (11-for-17) in the first quarter.

Foul trouble for the Stiemer: His third foul came on what appeared to be a clean block in the third quarter. His fourth came a few seconds later and his fifth followed shortly after that. After the block, Garnett jumped off the bench to protest the call. Rondo raced over to referee Tony Brothers to also voice his displeasure. There’s a method here. The Celtics have two and half weeks to convince the refs that Stiemsma can play defense without fouling. They need him on the court in the playoffs.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME PHILLY Empty Re: POST GAME PHILLY

Post by worcester Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 am

Once again - 69 Celtics redux. This team is playing great and getting better. Steemer, Bradley, and Sacha are making big contributions and Doc is fine tuning his rotations. If Pietrus comes back healthy we'll have 9 solid players ready to roll.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:31 am

It was nice to see Pietrus clowning around, literally dancing, and even picking up a stray ball and shooting a jumper during warmups. I guess the plan is to replace Sasha with Mickael when he's ready to come back. However, I have to say that I'm quite happy with Sasha's lockdown defense and occasional contributions of long ball shooting and transition finishes.

It's becoming obvious to me that the Celtics rotation basically consists of three groupings:

1. Pierce/Bass/Rondo who are primarily first-teamers (although any of them can occasionally spend time with the bench)
2. KG/Bradley are "swing players" who spend a lot of time with both the first-teamers and the bench
3. Ray/Steamer/Sasha, who are primarily bench players (although any of them can occasionally spend time with the first team)

It will be interesting to see what 82games.com shows for the combinations of Pierce/Bass/Rondo/KG/Bradley and Ray/Steamer/Sasha/KG/Bradley when they update their stats. Meanwhile, I have taken the liberty of fooling around with a couple of statistical manipulations that examine groupings 1-3 shown above, based solely on the Pacers game:

• For each grouping, I totaled their minutes played and divided that total by the number of players to arrive at the average number of minutes played by the players in that combination

• Then I performed a similar calculation for both the +/- and turnover stats.

• Finally, I divided the average +/- and the average number of turnovers by the average number of minutes played. The results:

+/- Stat
KG/Bradley = 0.81 point gained per average minute on the floor
Ray/Steamer/Sasha = 0.61 point gained per average minute on the floor
Pierce/Bass/Rondo = 0.21 point gained per average minute on the floor

Turnover Stat
Ray/Steamer/Sasha = 0.03 turnover per average minute on the floor
KG/Bradley = 0.05 turnover per average minute on the floor
Pierce/Bass/Rondo = 0.12 turnover per average minute on the floor

Although it is interesting to note that the Pierce/Bass/Rondo combination is last on both counts, this cannot be considered a relative indication of performance because the quality of the opposition must also be taken into account. It's probably a fact that the combination of Pierce/Bass/Rondo most consistently faces better opposition players. At best, these data may be an indicator (at least for one game) of the reasons why...:

• ...the starters are most likely to be saddled with the task of grind-it-out basketball, with slow gains being more probable than long runs.
• ...uninterrupted runs may be the province of the bench more often than of the starters.

I do have to say that I gagged a bit at the prospect of considering combinations of fewer than five players. However, the overlap of KG and Bradley between the starters and the bench dictated the breakout of three discrete combinations rather than two overlapping combos. And I happened to pick +/- and turnovers because I felt they were the two most revealing stats in this game. The same sort of exercise could be applied to any statistic.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:46 am

One thing that would be interesting to see in numbers is a comparison in offensive and defensive fg% and how they change (if they do) between Allen and Bradley as starters.

Same for fg attempted.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:15 am

Hi,
That was one good solid game. At one point, I believe it was towards the end of the 2nd quarter, I noticed body language of Doug Collins which clearly read "Game is done"
A few of my observations.
RA is getting his mojo back.
RR, despite his nth game with 2xd assists and a 'wow' shot has to stay focused even if they're 30 points ahead. I believe that if he is focused and in the grove there's no PG or a team in the league that can stop him.
Once again was very pleased with SP: nothing spectacular - just those little things that go mostly unnoticed but so important in any game. I think Doc or whoever should work with him a la Stiemsma: I'm Sasha and can shoot like Ray.
Speaking about GS. I think he needs to change something to avoid all those bogus fouls - change his name to iBlock-noFoul, for instance.
AB is getting better at PG duties. Now he's got everyone's attention for his ability to sneak-slash-cut to the hoop but still manages to get there for easy layup or a ticket to FT.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:43 am

Couple things I saw in my limited time watching. We assisted on so many hoops and we got good shots........ and then we actually made them!!

Rebounded better than we have been.

Pushed the ball for the most part I saw.

RA even made a Bradley type cut and was rewarded with a tough pass from Rondo for a layup. Speaking of Bradley he may not be a shooter but he is a scorer. Teams may try to prepare for him but really how can they do that effectively? Bradley will spot up in the corner and just when you think he is goign to stay put he cuts putting his defender already a step or more behind. This seems to cause a domino effect as players are moving to cover up gaps and holes and as long as we move to open spots and make good passes we seem to quality shots.

Did not appear anyone had a "poor" game for us.

Very nice win and a nice way to head into Miami.

Heat will be looking for a bit of a payback so we need to match them early, think if we can keep it close (within a couple points, or get a lead early we might just be able to have them fold up again like a cheap suit.

Another good shooting and rebounding game too I hope.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:19 am

Philly is falling apart. They were 20-9 on Feb. 13 and are 9-18 since, and some of those losses have been really ugly (losing by 20 to the Wizards and Raptors, for example). I thought Boston would likely give up the division title during the April 4-20 stretch with 11 games in 16 days, but it looks like Philly is just going to fold and hand it to the Celtics.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:25 am

The Celts have been earning that Atlantic title with convincing wins over Miami, Indiana, and Philly. Our only two losses have been to the Spurs and Bulls, two very tough teams. We're peaking at the right time while others flounder. Is Doc making Danny look like a genius or is it the other way around or both?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 am

This is one of the toughest scheduling stretches I have ever seen and we're doing ok. That says something about this team.

Philly had no chance. Sure, technically they did, but you could tell from the beginning that KG and Pierce wanted to put their sneakers on their throats. This was about payback and it was about getting Philly firmly in their playoff rearview mirror.

A balanced offensive assault, with 5 players in double-digits. We shot 59% from the field. Wow. It's one thing to do that for a quarter, or even a half, but for an entire game against a team that has only allowed 42.5% for the season? That's tied for 2nd best, with OKC. Guess who is #1 is with 41.8%? Hehehehe. 32 assists on 40 fgm, for a ratio of 80% will do that for you. Team ball. Team offense and team defense wins games. And Championships.

1. Rondo was doing a little too much "french pastry", as Al Maguire used to say, in the 1st half and had 5 turnovers on some very bad decision-making. In the 2nd half, though, he settled down and had 0 turnovers. Another one of those frustrating games, watching him, knowing he can do so much but his head just screws him up. I just try to keep reminding myself he just turned 26 and he'll grow up someday.

2. An understated but impressive game for Bradley, IMO. Not one of those "Oh my God! Do you believe the defense he's playing!" games, nor a "Can you believe that shot!" one, but when you look at the stat sheet afterwards you go "hmmm". 18 points on 6-12 including a 3 ties him for 2nd highest scoring Celtic with Bass, right behind KG's 19. Not bad for someone whose rep is/was that he can defend but not score. He can score. What makes me say it was impressive, as opposed to "good", is when you look at his counterpart. This is the 2nd straight game where he has turned in a very solid effort against a much taller SG. Philly's Evan Turner is only averaging 10ppg this season, and he scored 10 this game, but he's averaging 14ppg against us with most of those points against the 6'5" Ray Allen. At 6'7", he towers over Bradley and yet couldn't keep up with him. The night before he was looking up at Indiana's 6'8" Paul George. Jackie Mac might have to reconsider her position. Bradley's weaknesses, as we all know, is his ballhandling and his floor generalship. Last night he had 5 assists against only 2 turnovers. That's pretty good. The turnovers were eyesores, he couldn't have thrown the ball to the Sixers better even if he had been wearing a red uni, but they still only counted at 1 each.

3. KG and Bass were on fire. A combined 16-21 from our frontcourt last night. Philly is sagging because the limitations of Spencer Hawes and the Elton Brand were revealed last night. Neither are mobile. Hawes is fine as a back up center, but he's starting. Brand is 33 years old but plays like he's 38. Both our guys played great defense on their guys too. A combined 3-8 from their backcourt. To be effective they should have gotten 8fga each, minimum. Philly's not going anywhere this year, assuming they even make the playoffs and, at this point, that's probematical. The season can't end fast enough for a team that is 3-7 in their last 10 games and is "on the bubble" at #8.

4. Steamer had a shitty game with only 3 blocks. LOL. Steamer is currently in 19th place on the NBA shotblocking leaders list, but when you normalize it to 48mpg, he's #2 at 5.47 (Serge Ibaka of OKC is #1 with 6.26). Think of that. All the press Howard gets for shotblocking and he's only blocking 2.69/48mpg and Steamer more than double that. I think Rondo needs to play with Steamer more. With Rondo's gambling defense he needs a shotblocker in the middle to funnel his man towards and that sure describes Steamer to a T (or should it be "to a B"?). No wonder KG loves Steamer. He has a bone bruise on his right foot, plantar fasciitis on his left foot, a jammed thumb and dislocated finger and he still goes out there and plays defense. He is just happy to be here and will do whatever it takes to stay here. Reminds me of a mangy 3-legged, 1-eyed dog named "Lucky".

5. I agree with the comments made about Sasha Pavlovic. He plays a very low key game. Not a lot of shots or big gambling defensive plays, but solid. A lot of intangibles including reliably good moving-his-feet position defense on his man. He took 4 shots last night. He was moving on 2 of them and on 2 of them he was set, waiting for the ball and shot it when it got to him. He hit the two where he was set and missed the two he was moving on. He's not Ray Allen or Paul Pierce, he needs to slash to the hoop and take advantage of his size or he needs to set up camp and wait. He had 6 rebounds last night and it seems to me that at least 4 of those were under the basket with bodies swarming. Sometimes the ball comes off the board funny and just ends up in your hands and there's nobody around, for the easy stat. Most of Sasha's boards last night were rugged. In my opinion, the difference between the Celtics being a good team that makes it through the 1st round and maybe the second, or a very good team that goes further, is rebounding. We can be efficient scorers and we can be ferocious defenders, but if you give them 10 additional fga due to weak rebounding, it is going to be hard beating a good 2nd round playoff team or better. That's what I have liked about Sasha the most, his rebounding. He sticks his nose in there. His sticky, physical defense isn't bad neither. I hate delicate, "he touched me! Ref! He touched me!" floppers and Sasha is anything but that.

6. Vucevic had another good scoring game, but he is weak on defense. I didn't see that in previous games, but it was obvious last night.

Our second unit gave up a bunch of our lead (I believe we were up to 29 at one point) but in the end it didn't matter. A nice solid game by the Celtics to put us 2 games up on Philly (3 in the loss column, but I think they still own the tie-breaker, so we have to beat them).

Tuesday in Miami, there'll be blood in the water that night as they try to avenge their previous dismemberment on national TV at home, and then back in Boston for Atlanta on Wednesday. You want to win every game, but if I was Doc I'd focus on Atlanta, since they're just ahead of us with 23 losses. After Steve's thread about how winning the division might not give us a homecourt advantage, I sure as hell don't want a road series against Atlanta if I have a chance to get them behind us now.

Once again, I have to say, I think we're doing about as well as we can considering the extreme difficulty of this schedule. Back-to-backers against good teams and we're still coming away with our share of the wins. We even gained some distance between us and Philly and NY.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:59 am

I agree with Beat about the rebounding comment he made. I know besides Hawes and Brand the Sixers don't have a ton of bulk on the board. However, the fundamental box outs and going to get the ball off the boards rather than waiting for the ball to come was impressive. The overall energy level vs. Philly showed a sense of purpose on the second night of a back to back. Good overall effort! I wonder if Wade will be back for our game with the Heat on Tuesdat night?

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 pm

MD

besides the improving rebounding ( at least yesterday) we got the ball up the court quickly and really only on a handful of possessions did we force a shot as the 24 second clock was about to go off..... and we even made a couple of those to boot. The outlets were quick but also made easy as the guards got into position to get the outlets. Hard to make a quick outlet when your spending 2-3 seconds trying to find someone.

The debate about Bradley not being a PG, well we don't need him to be, he's not Rondo but there are a few things Rondo could take a bit of a lesson from him, like position defense and quit the gambling on passes he has NO chance of getting a piece of. And of course the old bug-a-boo FREE THROWS. Bradley has a pretty good handle and when he does commit a turnover it usually isn't off the dribble, its a pass.

Noticed a couple times when Rondo was out and Bradley was in Allen brought the ball up.

Funny how when the shots fall lots of other things seem to fall into place. And the shots seem to fall when you are pushing but yet patient. As Bob mentiond 32 dimes on our 40 makes is damn impressive. It isn't just Rondo looking for his mates. If you cut and are open you damn well better have your hands ready or you might just take one in the noggin. And it's not just the assist pass, but the pass before.... if yesterday was scored like a hockey game we'd have had perhaps 60 assists.

Miami's front line is weak, and as long as our guards box their guards we should be able to break even against them.

If we outrebound Miami we win IMHO. If we stay close to them on the boards we have an excellent chance.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Beat:

That all sounds good in theory. And it well could happen tomorrow night, but I think Miami will have revenge on theier collective minds. Do you think the C's could execute like Sunday night vs. the Sixers over a seven game series vs. Miami?

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:22 pm

If we can give them competitive games any thing is possible. Under pressure any number of things can happen. There is something not right with Miami. Cannot put my finger on it but they are not functioning on all cylinders. I think the chemistry is just not there.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:43 pm

MD

Couple thoughts, for sure Miami is just a tad better than a reeling Philly team (note sarcasm)

BUT sometiems you can go into a game TOO HYPED up and to try to sustain that really takes a lot of energy. Then when the emotion is taken or worn away and we are still right there or better yet leading them ..... who knows what thoughts go thru their collective heads. We all know James can be mentally tough to begin with but can he play hard and with passion throughout? Has not shown that ability consistantly that is for sure.

112288 has a point that they (Miami) are not right. Not right at all. Actually as much as I want us to win this game has got to mean a bunch more to Miami than to us so it will be interesting to see just who brings more energy and who sustains it.

Limit them to 1 shot as much as possible, AB can disrupt Wade as much as anyone can and if we contain James and make him a jump shooter that plays right into our hands. Box out and we should be fine. We kept them off the foul line last time so I am sure they will try to take it to the hole a lot.

As for a seven game series, they are played one at a time, and if some tweaking and adjustments need to be made game to game, think Doc is the far better coach for this and we are the far better team to actually listen to our coach.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Beat & 112288:

Some points well taken. I think if it was Doc vs Spoelstra the C's would have the edge in coaching. I don't think for one minute that if Riley saw something Spoelstra was missing whether a coaching or strategy mistake of omission or comission he would call Spoelstra on the carpet for it, not in public in front of the media or team, but behind closed office doors.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Wade worries me more than James. I'm happy Bradley has made significant strides in his team contribution. However, Wade's won a title, and beat a good team to do it. He, as much or more than Shaq carried them in '06. I just wonder if Bradley can take it to another level when it's win or go home. Time will tell. King Nothing doesn't always put in an appearance when everything is on the line.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:33 pm

BobH,

Actually, the second unit was most responsible for the Celts' positive point differential. (See my post above.)

I sometimes confuse Sasha with Steamer because of the similarity of their haircuts. And also the similarity of their defense.

One thing I wish some of the Celtics could learn in the name of team defense: If Steamer's in any kind of position to go for a block, don't try to go for your own block (which will invariably lead to a foul) and don't reach in (which will invariably lead to a foul). Instead, run (don't walk) to the nearest opponent under the basket and plant your butt in his belly. All too often, Steamer's blocks look great but simply lead to putbacks by other opponents who have no Celtic blocking them away from the board.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm

What concerns me more than either James or Wade are the refs. We gonna get shafted by Crawford or whomever? Wade has missed 11 games due to injury...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/story/2012-04-08/Dwyane-Wade-out-vs-Pistons-after-dunk-injury/54116490/1

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1131002-dwyane-wade-injury-latest-update-on-heat-superstars-knee-injury

He's got a questionable knee to go with that ankle, as he sat out a few days ago with a sore knee, so IMHO ther is no way he gets by AB very easily but a couple of fouls on AB would help.

Plus I believe he was out a with a sore hammie before then

Anyway AB should be able to make matters difficult for him.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:15 pm

sam wrote:BobH,

Actually, the second unit was most responsible for the Celts' positive point differential. (See my post above.)

I sometimes confuse Sasha with Steamer because of the similarity of their haircuts. And also the similarity of their defense.

One thing I wish some of the Celtics could learn in the name of team defense: If Steamer's in any kind of position to go for a block, don't try to go for your own block (which will invariably lead to a foul) and don't reach in (which will invariably lead to a foul). Instead, run (don't walk) to the nearest opponent under the basket and plant your butt in his belly. All too often, Steamer's blocks look great but simply lead to putbacks by other opponents who have no Celtic blocking them away from the board.

Sam

sam,

The period I was talking about was in later in the game when our lead shrank from the mid-20s to 14. I haven't looked at the play-by-play to see who was in at that time, but I thought it was the subs.

The 2nd unit has been very good in the 2nd quarter of the past few games and have been very instrumental in building up a nice halftime cushion.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Sasha, hustling back on D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ic7eMx9pMQQ

If he can do this, why can't he do it all the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ps0_Jges-iU

Full game highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2OBfT5l13U0

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:54 pm

bobheckler wrote:Sasha, hustling back on D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ic7eMx9pMQQ

If he can do this, why can't he do it all the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ps0_Jges-iU

Full game highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2OBfT5l13U0

bob

Bob,
If RR could do it all the time his initials would be eh.... mj or lb.
But as they say in Russia if a granma had a dick it'd a granpa Smile

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:07 pm

The next several games against Miami will mean nothing. Doc & Company are not going to reveal in these games how the Celtics plan on playing these guy's in the playoffs. The worst thing is to give Miami a blue print of the future. Let them keep on guessing.

I bet you may see some subs getting meaningful minutes. This is all about head games right now and Miami is fragile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:27 pm

112288 wrote:The next several games against Miami will mean nothing. Doc & Company are not going to reveal in these games how the Celtics plan on playing these guy's in the playoffs. The worst thing is to give Miami a blue print of the future. Let them keep on guessing.

I bet you may see some subs getting meaningful minutes. This is all about head games right now and Miami is fragile.

the Boston Celtics should not play head games with Miami.. an old klingon proverb says there is no honor in defeating and inferior enemy..

and in regards to being inferior as far as head games go... the Titanic has a better shot at arriving in port ahead of schedule for its maiden voyage than Miami has of being able to match wits with the Celtics.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:15 am

BobH,

Just for kicks, I went back to the running score in the Philly game. It's apparent that there's really no clear time when the "bench" can be blamed or complimented for much of anything because the combination on the floor almost always includes at least a couple of starters.

During the period when their points plurality plummeted from the high twenties to the mid-teens, Doc shuttled quite a few players in and out, including starters and non-starters. The only consistent non-starter presence I could find during that stretch was that of Hollins, who filled in for quite a stretch after Stiemsma got in foul trouble.

I don't really call Ryan a rotation bench player. I think if him as part the third team. Later, Moore, Johnson and Hollins were all part of a garbage time combination that actually gained back a few points.

This rotation really is a complete departure from the days when Doc was pretty insistent on using either a completely different five off the bench or four bench players and one starter.

By the way, Rondo and Bradley come as close as I can remember to the play of the Jones Boys back in the late 50s and early 60s. The earlier duo had more offensive firepower, and the current duo has more playmaking skill, but the general idea still involves what I always used to call "organized mayhem" defensively while also providing offensive pressure as and making opponents play their starters more minutes than they wished at a faster pace than they usually expected in the second quarter.

The concept won a lot of games for Red, and I can see it making major contributions for Doc. For example, it enabled the Auerbach Celtics to build on or create early leads. By maintaining constant pressure, even when several of the starters were resting, matchup hell was often created for opponents, whoo often suffered debilitation as a result. I think that debilitation is one of the most promising pathways for this team (1) to ensure no worse than even playing terms late in the game and (2) to offset the advantage opponents invariably gain in terms of rebounding.

This Saturday, I'll be leaving the country for the rest of the regular season. When I return (around the start of the playoffs), I hope to see a Celtics team that (1) is healthy), (2) uses a combination of Ray, Bradley and another starter (usually KG if Doc goes large or Rondo if he goes small) to maintain or even increase the pressure on opponents during stretches when the opponents would normally expect to get away with playing reserves and rest starters, and (3) is enjoying a combination of chemistry and momentum that will put them in excellent position to stun people (as is the Celtics' heritage) in the playoffs. I hope large numbers of board members will feel compelled to support the team by joining our Game-on Threads.

Whatever happens through the remainder of this season and the playoffs, I'll always be proud to call myself a Celtic (without pay).

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:06 am

Sam,
Bon voyage

AK