Celtics close to signing BC's Sean Williams

+2
Outside
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics close to signing BC's Sean Williams Empty Celtics close to signing BC's Sean Williams

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:54 pm

The Celtics are close to signing free-agent center Sean Williams, league sources tell ESPN.com's Marc Stein. In order to make room for Williams on the roster, the Celtics are expected to waive the injured Jermaine O'Neal.

Williams was waived by the Mavericks on March 22, and he would be playoff eligible if he signed with Boston. The 6-foot-10-inch, 235-pound big man is known as a shot blocker, and he could provide the Celtics with much needed depth in their frontcourt. Kevin Garnett, Brandon Bass, and Greg Stiemsma are the only three big men the Celtics play comfortably. Ryan Hollins was brought in recently to compete for a bench role.

Williams averaged 3.6 points, 1.6 rebounds and 8.1 minutes in eight games in Dallas.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willise01.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CKF1kyY3qJI

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics close to signing BC's Sean Williams Empty Re: Celtics close to signing BC's Sean Williams

Post by Outside Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Are you sure he'd be playoff eligible? I thought there was a fixed cutoff date after which any new signed players aren't eligible for the playoffs.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Celtics close to signing BC's Sean Williams Empty Re: Celtics close to signing BC's Sean Williams

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Outside wrote:Are you sure he'd be playoff eligible? I thought there was a fixed cutoff date after which any new signed players aren't eligible for the playoffs.

Outside

outside,

To be playoff eligible you must be available (i.e. "waived") by a certain date. You don't have to be on a roster before that date.

April 27th is the date that playoff rosters must be set. Playoffs begin April 28th. This might not be normal, but this is a lockout shortened season.

http://www.nba.com/news/key-dates/index.html

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:22 pm

He looked amazing at times in the 2007-2008 season with the Nets but I know that is eons ago. Heard he can be difficult also.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:16 am

bobheckler wrote:
Outside wrote:Are you sure he'd be playoff eligible? I thought there was a fixed cutoff date after which any new signed players aren't eligible for the playoffs.

Outside

outside,

To be playoff eligible you must be available (i.e. "waived") by a certain date. You don't have to be on a roster before that date.

April 27th is the date that playoff rosters must be set. Playoffs begin April 28th. This might not be normal, but this is a lockout shortened season.

http://www.nba.com/news/key-dates/index.html

bob

Bob,

Interesting. Thanks for the education.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:51 am

Guy is a HEADCASE.....but unreal talent.

Hell, if he gets a few blocks and a few hard fouls then it is worth the pick up.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 am

bobheckler wrote:To be playoff eligible you must be available (i.e. "waived") by a certain date. You don't have to be on a roster before that date.
So I guess Sheed is available for the playoffs too, huh?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:27 pm

looks like all upside to me, not like JON was gonna play.

KG et al aint gonna take no shit and if he starts trouble he is out quicker than some red sox batters.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:28 pm

Looks like a move that couldn't hurt.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down