Somewhere, Red is smiling

+2
NYCelt
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Somewhere, Red is smiling Empty Somewhere, Red is smiling

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:24 pm

The Heat staff complained about the temperature during the afternoon shoot-around.

https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/208600254650658816

Then there's this.

http://www.redsarmy.com/.a/6a01156f2c3287970c016306112b27970d-popup

Welcome to Causeway Street. Your asses are now officially ours.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Somewhere, Red is smiling Empty Re: Somewhere, Red is smiling

Post by NYCelt Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Outstanding!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:47 pm

what a great memory! the Lakers always complained about the heat in the visitors locker room in the old Garden, and Philadelphia complained too.
This was Red's game of one ticking off the opposing teams during the hot days in Boston.

You are right, somewhere, he is chuckling away
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:53 pm

That picture of the floor is from the new garden? I hope not.....

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:55 pm

bobc33 wrote:That picture of the floor is from the new garden? I hope not.....

New Garden.....

.......Same old floor!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Didn't know that, thanks Beat.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:03 am

beat,

The original parquet floor was replaced in 1999.

Here is one way the old floor was recycled:

This handcrafted pen was made from the Boston Garden "Parquet Floor." On December 22, 1999, the Boston Celtics retired its treasured "Parquet Floor." This unique floor had served as the home court for the Celtics since the franchise's 1964 inaugural season. The Parquet was first used in Boston Arena (now known as Matthews Arena) and was moved into the Boston Garden in 1952. The renowned floor even oulived the Garden and was moved to the Celtics' new home, the FleetCenter, in 1995.

The Parquet Floor was home to all 16 Celtics' NBA Championships and the countless moments that will live on forever in our memories. Every NBA player who is enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame played on this floor, including 26 members with ties to the Celtics. Twenty-two members of the Celtics organization saw their numbers retired and raised to the rafters above this unique basketball court.

This certifies that this pen was made from the "Historic Boston Garden Parquet Floor."

http://americanheritagepens.com/boston_garden.htm

What the ... , here's more:

http://www.thefind.com/merchandise/info-boston-garden-parquet-floor-piece

Here is an interesting personal story:

http://melrosemirror.media.mit.edu/servlet/pluto?state=3030347061676530303757656250616765303032696430303433363433

Here is what happened:

The last game on the parquet was played on December 22, 1999 and it has since been replaced by a replica court integrating portions of the original floor with a new parquet. For sports fans from around the country, the parquet floor has been, and will continue to be, the foundation of a great sports tradition in New England.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Boston_Garden

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:19 am

GYSO

Parts of the original are still in use however!

through the years, the parquet has withstood quick-paced, rubber-soled sneakers, constant dribbling, and the frequent assembling and disassembling for home games. In September 1995, the floor was moved next door from the old Boston Garden to the TD Banknorth Garden. The last game on the parquet was played on December 22, 1999 and it has since been replaced by a replica court integrating portions of the original floor with a new parquet. For sports fans from around the country, the parquet floor has been, and will continue to be, the foundation of a great sports tradition in New England.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:19 am

Beat,

That is correct, some it was reused. That was a great way to go about replacing the worst parts of it, yet leaving enough if it to keep the tradition alive.

I wonder how much of it was actually left? There seems to be quite a lot if for sale online.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:44 am

Every time the Celtics give an award to someone from the team, or someone retires, etc.. they are given a plaque with a piece of the parquet floor on it.
I am sure it is in a safe place somewhere and each of the Big Three will get a piece of it someday when they retire as Celtics!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:53 am

GYSO

Have you actually clicked on the various items for sale. I clicked on several and they either are out of stock or not available.

Seems the only things you can get are the pens.

If they used a panel or 2 and cut it up they could have made a mint. The Hondo autograph green piece is a full 2 inches by 3 inches as best I can find. At that rate they would not need too many panels. Believe they were 4 X 4 feet. 2304 square inches per panel cutting them into a 6 square inch panel would yield over 380 pieces give or take, minus the loss of the cutting.

Would be curious just how much of the actual floor still exsists.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:17 am

Don't you remember? They gave a piece of the parquet to Magic Johnson!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:19 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Don't you remember? They gave a piece of the parquet to Magic Johnson!

Rosalie

Not that big a piece!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:26 am

No----just a square. Personally I don't think they will sell off the rest of what is remaining, I may be wrong. Did they sell much or any when they had the auction or sale of the stuff from the old Garden?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Beat,

Thanks for doing my homework. I didn't pick any of the links, my bad. I was just amazed at how much was available (at least at one time).

The neat thing (to me anyway) was the pens. They were sold out of Old Town, Maine. That is not too far from me, just the other side of Bangor. That is the place they make Old Town canoes. Old Town is right next to Orono, which is where the University of Maine is at. That is the school that Rick Carlisle went to before transferring to U of Virginia.

When we drafted Rick (3rd round, #23) I already knew who he was. Looking back, it was amazing that he actually had more than a cup of coffee in the NBA. There isn't even a 3rd round anymore. Rick wasn't flashy, but he was steady in his limited role off the bench. I remember that he hardly ever turned the ball over. He went to three finals with the Celtics, getting a ring in '86. He was able to turn some of his contacts in the Celtics organization into a coaching career where he has had great success. Maybe when Doc is tired of coaching, we could get Rick to take over.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:58 pm

GYSO

Hailed from upstate NY, Tiny Lisbon HS small rural school north of me, perhaps a graduating class of 40-50!

Has made himself into a very good coach considering the ego of these players. Agree he has few NBA quality skills that ranked high but he made it and got a ring and how many great players have NONE!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down