Sam
bobheckler
NYCelt
RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
dboss
12 posters

Go down

Why don't free agents like the Celtics? Empty Why don't free agents like the Celtics?

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:06 pm

RICH LEVINE - CSNE

We’re a few days into NBA free agency, and all things considered, the Celtics are sitting pretty.

They signed Kevin Garnett. They’re on the verge of signing Jeff Green. Throw in Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce and Avery Bradley, and — short of Danny Ainge acquiring Mad Cow Disease, trading Bradley for Jimmer Fredette and using the entire mid-level on Robert Swift — the Celtics are on track to kick off next season with a team that’s better than the one that came within a game of the NBA Finals.

Yes, it's good to be a Celtics fan. But before we get too far ahead of ourselves, there’s one major issue to be addressed: Back-up shooting guard.

A guy who can lead the second unit, mesh with the starters and most importantly: SCORE THE BALL. A guy who can ideally assume the role of a Vinnie Johnson, Manu Ginobili or James Harden (Note: Be on the look-out for any bearded Argentinians nicknamed after an appliance). Who can take Boston to that next level in terms of depth and offensive firepower.

The good news — there are plenty of options: Ray Allen. OJ Mayo (whom I refer to as “Jerod Mayo” at least three times a day. Just a warning in preparation for the time it actually makes it to print). Jamal Crawford. Jason Terry. The Celtics have reportedly reached out to all four.

The bad news — none of them are particularly jazzed about Boston.

You know the story with Ray: The Celtics offered him twice the money, but he'll still spend Thursday night toasting with Bron, Wade, Spoelstra and Riles down in South Beach. Crawford would rather take the mid-level from the Clippers (where he can start). Terry looks poised to let the Mavericks match any offer and Mayo straight up doesn't want to play for the C's — at least according to reports.

Sure, the chips will eventually fall into place and (hopefully) one of these four guys will find a home in Boston, but the fact remains that no one's tripping over themselves to get here. That each player has an opportunity to become one of the final pieces on a potential contender; to play in front of one of the most passionate fan bases in the country; to play under all the banners and for one of the most respected, player-friendly coaches in the league. Yet it's still a tough sell.

And once again, we're left to wonder: Why don't free agents want to play for the Celtics?

We can throw Ray Allen out of the conversation, because that's a special situation, but honestly: Why wouldn't Jamal Crawford or OJ Mayo jump at the chance to join this crew? Why did Chris Paul reportedly refuse to sign an extension in Boston? Why, despite all the Dwight Howard rumors of the past two years, were the Celtics never considered a legit destination for the game's biggest center? (Related story: I ran into Jameer Nelson at a bar in Boston last summer while he was in town shooting stuff for Reebok. At one point, I asked him: "Hey, so what are the chances Dwight ends up here?" He literally laughed in my face, before saying: "Nah, no way he's coming here.")

You can talk about the weather, but Boston's not much colder than Brooklyn or Manhattan. You can say it's a race thing, but the way Kevin Garnett has embraced and loves this city should be enough to help curb that reputation. You can't use the "Celtics are old and past their prime" excuse anymore because, like I said, they're over that, they've adjusted. For the next two seasons, short of devastating injury, the Celtics will be right up there with any team outside of Miami and OKC. They're contenders.

So, then what's the problem with Boston?

Here's one theory:

It's not that these free agents hate the city. Or the weather. Or the team's championship potential. Nope.

They hate the Celtics.

Players in today's NBA hate the Boston Celtics.

Of course, this isn't exactly breaking news. Over the last five years, the Celtics have antagonized just about every team in the league. There's barely a young superstar who Boston hasn't somehow offended. In many ways, it's been one of the Celtics best weapons — their ability to get under an opponent's skin. But after a half decade of chaos, the result is a league that isn't too found of green. An entire generation of NBA players who have grown to hate the C's.

And don't you think it's possible that this has trickled into free agency?

Is it really a coincidence that since 2007, the Celtics four biggest free agent signings — James Posey, Rasheed Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal and Shaq — were all older players from another generation, who befriended the Big 3 before they were the Big 3? I don't think so.

What's funny is that it seems to be a perception problem more than anything. After all, the guys who are traded here love it: Jeff Green was traded here and he wants to stay. Brandon Bass was traded here and he wants to stay. Keyon Dooling was traded here, and from the sound of things, it changed his life. When the guys are forced to join the dark side, they always realize that it's not so dark.

But when given the choice, free agents continue to shy away from the Boston Celtics.

Hopefully we won't have to wait another generation before that starts to change.

Back to top Go down

Why don't free agents like the Celtics? Empty Re: Why don't free agents like the Celtics?

Post by dboss Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Stupid article...no basis at all.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Why don't free agents like the Celtics? Empty Re: Why don't free agents like the Celtics?

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:45 pm

.....what a waste, can't believe he wrote that weak shit

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:47 pm

THIS IS WHY I NEVER, EVER READ THIS GUY. VERY CYNICAL PERSON. SORRY, I JUST DON'T ENJOY HIM EVEN ON TELEVISION
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Could be he's onto something.

Kind of like in major league baseball; if you're not a Yankee you hate them. Then, when they express interest, you join them.

It's the same mentality with Tiger Woods or LeBron James. Hate them if you like, but they're at the top of their game. Jealousy. Envy. Whatever.

It could be much the same with the Celtics. Players who understand the game might envy the history and now, once again, the status. It's jealousy, really. Until the real chance to play for the Celtics arrives. Then they think they might look good in green.

(Sorry for the Yankee example Sox fans. I'm an Orioles fan myself.)
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:46 pm

He probably should have waited a another week before he wrote this. As of today Jason Terry and Jeff Green, both free agents, are likely to come (or stay) in Boston.

Which high quality free agents were he referring to? Deron Williams is staying in Brooklyn, so nobody else attracted him either. Dwight Howard, who chose to NOT become a free agent even though he could have had his pick of a number of teams, is a little prima donna.

I agree with NYCelt's statement inre the Yankees. They're the team other teams' players hate. Why? Because they win and every player is competitive and hates losing. Give them a chance to join the team that beat them, though, and they sing a different tune. Some of it is the money, sure, but some of it is the winning tradition, like we have in Boston. Isn't that what Jason Terry said when he said he wanted to come to Boston, and didn't this moron say that Jason Terry was one of the players that "isn't too jazzed about playing for Boston"? Doc tied with Pop for the coach that the most players would want to play for. Is that evidence of "hate" or "envy"?

You're supposed to put the egg inside your face, dumbie, not smear it on the outside.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:11 pm

Could also be the lack of glamorous night life and clubs in Boston. Take LA, Dallas, NY, Miami, Chicago and Orlando.....you'll see a lot of the "Beautiful People" hanging there and many young professional athletes from other sports (Tennis/golf) living in these cities.

Notice how many veterans who come to Boston love the city and the team. Why, because they now have settled down, many with families, or they are nearing the end of their careers....been there and done that....now they just want to play basketball and win.

You may have exceptions to the rule like OKC, but because they were so bad, they were able to get great draft picks and build a team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Hating Boston is tantamount to a birthright for millions of people across the country, many of whom have inherited the jealousy driven distaste from their elders. This is also true of basketball players, many of whom also have been the butts of trash-talking from guys like Pierce. If one is a Celtics fan, one has to get used to it. It's easy to find fault with any city, so they pick on the old hackneyed racist thing and the winter weather to rationalize their alleged dislike.

What many players apparently never think about in advance is what it's like to be a Boston Celtic. They seem to have no awareness of what being on a team that's like a family is really like. They have no conception of what it really means to be almost entirely driven by the prospect of winning a championship. They can't feel what it's like to realize that expectation can dwarf hope when the expectation has been instilled by icons of the past. Yeah, they understand the words, but they have never internalized the feeling because it's something they've seldom or never experienced.

But, when they join the Celtics, they're amazed at how the team's culture is like none other in the NBA. It's a large part of why older guys play younger, guys play through injuries, and guys support one another and challenge one another in a constructive way rather than creating a scarcity atmosphere in which someone must fail in order for someone else to succeed.

I'm sure fans of other teams would dispute every word I've said as being unique to the Celtics, and it's their right to do so. The only difference is that (with a few exceptions) I'm right and (with a few exceptions) they're wrong. Anyone can see it just by watching the dynamics of the team. Why has KG already been in contact with the rookies? Why do people like Jeff Green, Marquis Daniels and Keyon Dooling have inordinate desire to stay with the Green? Because the Celtics are special in ways that really count.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:02 pm

It's funny you mention Dooling in this topic. A quote from him after the defeat in Miami was that he hadn't cried since his Father died, and he cried that night. He said he would love to finish his career here in Boston, that this team was everything he hoped for all these years
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:15 pm

As far as the racial issue, the city may have had issues in decades past. However, the franchise has for the most part been at the forefront of equal opportunity. Look how many African-American coaches the Celtics have had in franchise history. Lack of a pumpin' nightlife around media types may be a factor. However, people like the Wahlbergs surface at Celtic games during the playoffs. As an aside, glad to be back, I moved last weekend and was out of circulation. Happy 4th to all!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:19 pm

MD,

Enjoy your new digs.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Happy Fourth of July to everyone.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:25 pm

A VERY HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO EVERYONE!!!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 pm

I was at a Target in a mall in Jackson Mississippi the day of the 7th game against te Heat with my son Arian who was wearing a Celtics shirt - #34 Paul Pierce. Three different people came up to him declaring their love for the Celts. Love. I think the myth of the Celts being hated is overblown.

Last edited by worcester on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:28 am

The thing about the Boston Celtics is, its not about "im taking my talents to Southbeach", its about "We love ya Cooz".

Its not about the night Wilt scorted a 100 pts, its about winning 10 titles with THAT guy around..

Its not about Jordan or Kobe, its about "Havlicek stole the ball! It's all over...It's all over!"

Its not about scoring titles, its about titles..

Its not about playing in L.A or in madisen Square Garden, its about being a Celtic.

Its not about the name on the back of the jersey, its the name on the front that is important.

Its not about an individuals accomplishments, about about the peices working together for a greater cause than individual accomplishments.

Its not about being on a bandwagon, or cheering on a team 16 games a season or 162 games or even 82.. Its about living and breathing the Celtics, yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Its not about being a part of a team, or a fan of a team, its as one man said, "a way of life".

Some people, be it fans or players dont get that. For those that do, we're one and all Celtics. If you can't get it, we dont need ya.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:36 am

Nice post, Matty. Heartfelt.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:02 am

IT'S - "I AM A CELTIC", right Matty? Great post
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:57 am

Well put, Matty. Worthy of an MVP.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Matty:

MVP could mean, "Most Versatile Prose."

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Great post, Matty. Summed it up beautifully.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Fantastic, Matty, absolutely fantastic.

I've read it several times and it keeps getting better.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:13 am

its just how i think every one of us on the board feel, and, i think if ya asked Bill Walton, he'd say the same thing.

Even Doc Rivers, when his son was offered a hat bearing the logo and Doc as given the chance to join his son celebrate by also putting on a hat to for a family moment, refused saying, "im a celtic"

Its what love always loved about the team, and why some players love being here so much..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down