bobheckler
gyso
RosalieTCeltics
MDCelticsFan
NYCelt
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Updated: Celtics close to acquiring Courtney Lee Empty Updated: Celtics close to acquiring Courtney Lee

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 pm

BOSTON HERALD

By STEVE BULPETT

LAS VEGAS — The Celtics are still trying to put the finishing touches on a trade that will net them Courtney Lee for a package of JaJuan Johnson, E’Twaun Moore, Sean Williams and a second round draft pick.

The transaction appeared to hit a snag this afternoon, but both sides said it was back on track later in the day. Sources told the Herald there are still moving parts and that other teams have been involved at different points.

Johnson, Moore and Williams didn’t play in today’s summer league loss to Sacramento here.

Prior to the game, Ainge wouldn’t confirm or deny reports of the trade, but he again spoke well of Lee, who became an unrestricted free agent when the Rockets did not make him a qualifying offer.

“We think Courtney’s a good fit for us, yeah,” said Ainge. “He’s a good player. He’s a both ends of the court player. He can shoot, can defend and he runs. Good fit for us.”
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Source: Courtney Lee acquired from Rockets for 3 players

Posted by Gary Washburn Globe Staff July 19, 2012 04:53 PM

LAS VEGAS -- The Celtics continued to bolster their bench Thursday, nabbing their No. 1 free-agent target, Courtney Lee, in a sign-and-trade deal with the Houston Rockets, according to a source. The source confirmed that second-year forward JaJuan Johnson is headed to Houston as part of the deal. Fellow second-year player E'Twaun Moore and backup center Sean Williams are also headed to the Rockets along with a 2013 second-round pick that was originally Charlotte's.

Lee, 26, had been No. 1 on the Celtics' list after Ray Allen signed with the Miami Heat, but the Celtics did not have enough salary cap space to sign Lee outright. Lee was seeking in the $5 million per season range, and the Celtics have apparently put together some contracts and draft picks that enticed the Rockets to sign Lee to a deal and then send him to the Celtics.

Johnson, the Celtics' first-round pick in 2011, never found a role with the club and his lack of development privately bothered some team officials. He struggled in stretches during summer league and with the signings of Chris Wilcox, Jeff Green and the drafting of Jared Sullinger, his role this season was likely minute.

Lee averaged 11.4 points per game last season for the Rockets, who decided not to give him a qualifying offer, making him a free agent. Lee is a career 38.6 percent 3-point shooter who is also an above-average defender. He dined with Celtics coach Doc Rivers on July 7 and expressed a desire to play with the Celtics -- at the right salary.

He said there was as many as eight teams interested, but when the Mavericks signed O.J. Mayo, the market began drying up for Lee.

The Celtics have a scheduled 6:30 p.m. summer league game with the Sacramento Kings. Johnson is not expected to play.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

CSNE - Blakely: Celtics acquiring Lee how they did is 'unheard' of

July 19, 2012, 8:38 pm SHARE THIS POST0 COMMENTS

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Celtics-to-acquire-Courtney-Lee-in-sign-?blockID=743013&feedID=10946

The Boston Celtics are on their way to acquiring Courtney Lee from the Houston Rockets via a sign-and-trade for JaJuan Johnson, E'Twaun Moore, Sean Williams and a second-round pick.

CSNNE's A. Sherrod Blakely breaks down the deal, saying that the way that the Celtics are acquiring Lee is "unheard" of.

Blakely: Celtics acquiring Lee how they did is 'unheard' of

The Boston Celtics are on the verge of acquiring Courtney Lee from Houston via a sign-and-trade for JaJuan Johnson, E'Twaun Moore, Sean Williams and a second-round pick, a source confirmed to CSNNE.com.

The deal was first reported by Yahoo! Sports.

While the deal is still being finalized, it's unclear if the second-round pick will be the one Boston recently acquired from Oklahoma City as part of the Jeff Green settlement, or their own future second-rounder.

Boston recently acquired an additional second-round pick in next year's draft from Oklahoma City (by way of Charlotte) after the league determined that Thunder medical officials did not inform the Boston front office of all the medical findings related to Jeff Green.
Green was out for the entire 2011-12 season after a routine preseason physical ultimately led to him needing season-ending heart surgery.

As for Lee, the four-year veteran has played for three different teams while splitting time as a starter and key reserve.
In addition, he has shot 40 percent or better from 3-point range in three of his four NBA seasons, which has contributed to him being a 10-points-per-game scorer despite never being a featured part of a team's offense.

Adding Lee gives the Celtics the kind of perimeter depth that should cement their place among the top teams in the East after Ray Allen opted to sign with the Miami Heat.

Lee told reporters in Orlando last week that he was very much interested in joining the Celtics.

"I want to win," Lee said at the time. "Everybody knows their record and what they've accomplished over the years, especially with Doc and having KG and Paul, Rondo's still there. That's a team I feel will win and continue to win. That's one factor in the decision."

Last edited by 112288 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Updated: Celtics close to acquiring Courtney Lee Empty Re: Updated: Celtics close to acquiring Courtney Lee

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:59 pm

I LOVE THE MOVE!

Some nice talent in the summer league that's CHEAP!

Gibson....Christmas......hopefully can get a shot at the big time!

Back to top Go down

Updated: Celtics close to acquiring Courtney Lee Empty Re: Updated: Celtics close to acquiring Courtney Lee

Post by NYCelt Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:13 am

We needed another guard. Lee can defend, score and get up and down fairly well. He is a young player and we certainly needed to get younger (with players that might actually get on the floor). What we gave up in return doesn't seem bad, although I still think Johnson could be a productive player.

Overall a good move.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 am

This smacks of Danny going to who is his best friend? None other than HOF'er Kevin McHale. I'm sure Kevin was only too happy to throw his buddy a bone and some spicy sauce to sweeten (not Sweetney) the pot. It's amazing that whenever Ainge is in trouble McHale is there to bail him out. This time Sir with General Courtney Lee from the deep southwest (he may fly that airline to get to Boston). The Celtics should have gotten McHale when he was cut loose by the T-Wolves, and Bird when he bowed out from the Pacers. Also Robert Parrish should have been brought back to work with the BIGS when Clifford Ray was let go. Wow! what powerful brain trusts Doc would have had in reserve if that had transpired. We could have kept it like Archie (Bunker, not Clark) All In The Family!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 am

Seems like if the Celtics draft you, you're around for a year or so, then be ready to hit the revolving door. Moore & Johnson show promise and can contribute in time. Patience is a virtue. Look what kind of career Joe Johnson & Chauncy Billups have had after the C's sent them packing. I hope Melo & Sullinger don't suffer the same fate in the Summer of 2013!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:05 am

Problem with Johnson, he did not have an NBA body for his position and he had an odd shot. Moore could have been a good player...maybe there was question of his attitude. The Celtic also felt a guy like Christmas could fill the roll Moore played as a shooting guard. Christmas in July........he can light the tree up!

The move by Danny was really strategic they are not over cap and sets them up to make other moves.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:11 am

UPDATED NEWS ON TRADE

Celtics set to acquire Lee
3 players, pick to Houston

By Gary Washburn
Globe Staff

LAS VEGAS — The Celtics’ response to losing Ray Allen to the Heat was their relentless pursuit of free agent guard Courtney Lee. And although neither president of basketball operations Danny Ainge nor coach Doc Rivers would officially comment Thursday night, two NBA sources said the Celtics have completed the framework of a deal that will bring Lee to Boston in a sign-and-trade with the Rockets.

Johnson, Moore, and Williams will earn a combined $2.7 million next season, and the Celtics could also sign an additional player, such as Mickael Pietrus or Keyon Dooling, to include in the deal to be able to increase Lee’s salary.

The Celtics dropped a 91-82 summer league decision to the Kings on Thursday, and Johnson was not with the team at the Thomas & Mack Center. Williams arrived in Celtics gear, took some shots, and then was pulled off the court for a conversation with Rivers.

Moore was wearing his Celtics jersey, but had sandals on, and headed out of the arena after a conversation with Rivers. Williams and Moore have nonguaranteed contracts for next season and are expected to be waived by the Rockets. Johnson has a guaranteed contract, but, according to an NBA source, will request a trade from the Rockets.

General manager Daryl Morey is overhauling the Rockets’ roster, trying to acquire assets and salary-cap space for a Dwight Howard deal or to acquire another superstar. The key to the trade may be the second-round pick, which was originally owned by Charlotte and which could be in the 30s overall.

Johnson, the Celtics’ first-round pick in 2011, never established a role, and his lack of development privately bothered some team officials. He struggled in stretches during summer league, and with the signings of Chris Wilcox, Jeff Green, and the drafting of Jared Sullinger, he was expendable.

Lee averaged 11.4 points last season for the Rockets, who did not to make him a qualifying offer. He is a career 38.6 percent 3-point shooter and above-average defender. He dined with Rivers July 7 and expressed a desire to play with the Celtics, at the right salary.

“Me and Doc, we’ve always had a relationship since I’ve been in the NBA,” Lee said July 9. “I’m a friend of both of his kids, Austin and Jeremiah. We work out together, always see each other. Me and Doc always speak. There’s interest there, but there was no verbal agreement or anything, just hearing each other out. He expressed his interest. I expressed my interest. It’s not basketball-wise that needs to be discussed, it’s the front office and my agent that need to communicate and go from there.”

Lee said eight teams were interested in acquiring him, but the market dwindled after the Mavericks signed O.J. Mayo.

The Celtics did not want to part with Moore, who played well during summer league and showed signs of becoming a dependable contributor, but his nonguaranteed contract and salary almost forced the Celtics to include him in the deal.

Lee, 26, fills the team’s need for a reserve shooting guard, and he could begin the season as a starter with Avery Bradley potentially out until December following surgeries on both shoulders. Lee has started 135 of 287 career games, including 26 last season.

Sign-and-trade deals must be for a minimum of three years, meaning the Celtics have Kevin Garnett, Jason Terry, Brandon Bass, Green, and potentially Lee under contract for three years or more.

“I think our summer’s been good,” Rivers said. “And the end of the day, if we get everything we want, I think we would have had a great summer.”

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 am

And then I read that Johnson wants to be traded from Houston, not very happy with the trade I guess. Also, Moore is going to be released today according to SI. But, the Celtics can't resign him for a year? That is what they said.

So...what does this do to trying to get Steamer back. Is there more money available for him or are they just done with him?

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:14 am

Sasha was the other player in the sign and trade
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:37 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Sasha was the other player in the sign and trade

That leaves Dooling and Pietrus as possible returnees from last season.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:35 am

MOORE CAN COME BACK IF RELEASED BY HOUSTON.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:39 am

112288 wrote:MOORE CAN COME BACK IF RELEASED BY HOUSTON.

Gyso should vette this statement, but I believe one of the conditions in the new CBA is that a team that trades a player cannot resign that player for a year.

That was put in there as a result of the deal Danny did with, I seem to remember, Gary Payton. Do the trade, get cut by the new team and then resign with the first team. Can't do that anymore, as I understand the new CBA.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 am

Bob,

Could be correct. There was so many changes to the rules I cannot keep up!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 am

I just saw a comment on another site that pointed out that what makes this deal so good is that we traded 4 players who were almost certainly not going to be in the game when it counted for a player who might. The point was that we traded quantity for quality.

This is what Danny did when he got KG. Traded a bazillion players (one really good one, Big Al, and another acceptable one, Ryan Gomes, and a bunch of assorted spare parts) for a game changer.

When I look at it like that, I'm feeling better about this. A solid rotation player that will play is better than 4 marginal players who rarely (or never) get off the bench.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:02 am

bobheckler wrote:I just saw a comment on another site that pointed out that what makes this deal so good is that we traded 4 players who were almost certainly not going to be in the game when it counted for a player who might. The point was that we traded quantity for quality.

This is what Danny did when he got KG. Traded a bazillion players (one really good one, Big Al, and another acceptable one, Ryan Gomes, and a bunch of assorted spare parts) for a game changer.

When I look at it like that, I'm feeling better about this. A solid rotation player that will play is better than 4 marginal players who rarely (or never) get off the bench.

bob

Exactly what I was thinking...... but you worded it better.

Remember someone saying that when multiple players are traded the team that gets the BEST player usually makes out better.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 am

bobheckler wrote:
112288 wrote:MOORE CAN COME BACK IF RELEASED BY HOUSTON.

Gyso should vette this statement, but I believe one of the conditions in the new CBA is that a team that trades a player cannot resign that player for a year.

That was put in there as a result of the deal Danny did with, I seem to remember, Gary Payton. Do the trade, get cut by the new team and then resign with the first team. Can't do that anymore, as I understand the new CBA.

bob

Guys,

A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, they can reacquire the player during the same season.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q97

This rule is mostly being attributed to Zadrunas Ilgakus (sp) when the Cav's traded him away for Jamison and then resigned him. The Payton situation was similar.

gyso

PS: re: the Lee trade. Many are saying always trade quantity for quality!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:37 am

Boy, Danny really scrambled on this one. Hoops Hype says (and it may appear elsewhere in this forum) that originally Phoenix and New Orleans were in the picture as third team "facilitators" in the Lee deal. But that fell through, and the third team wound up being Portland.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:03 pm

We still need another center. A legit 6'10"+, 250#+ player. I realize anybody available now will either require gutting our team or will be of marginal utility, but we need the depth at that spot.

C'mon Danny, work your magic just one more time.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 pm

So, I assume there is no chance of resigning Steamer with any money left over? I know that there is a $3 million dollar offer supposedly offered, but, if so, why hasn't he signed? Offer not officially made?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:13 pm

i say we need to go all out for the return of the steamer..

send Danny/Doc/KG/ Peirce/ Bill Russel & The Cooz all out to talk to him.. remind him they didnt even do that for He that shall not be named..

promise to buy him a new fishing pool and remind him new englad is snowed in a lot too.. KG spent a lot of time in Minny so they could do some "old days bonding"..

buy him the compete dvd set of rocky and bowinkle.

introduce him to a few of the "dancers" we have instead of chearleaders..

promise to bring in from Minny fresh nothern pike every day if he likes..

remind him that, if he signs a 1 yr deal with boston, this yr, we coudl sign him for more down the road..

remind him Minny cut him/boston gave him a chance

just do whatever it takes...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:So, I assume there is no chance of resigning Steamer with any money left over? I know that there is a $3 million dollar offer supposedly offered, but, if so, why hasn't he signed? Offer not officially made?

Rosalie,

I don't think an offer has been made, just talk from Stiemsma's agent. The offer from 'Sota being thrown about is one year, $3mil. I think if Danny goes full biannunal exception (BAE), two years, around $4.1mil total, maybe this will turn his head. I hope so, anyway.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:33 pm

gyso wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:So, I assume there is no chance of resigning Steamer with any money left over? I know that there is a $3 million dollar offer supposedly offered, but, if so, why hasn't he signed? Offer not officially made?

Rosalie,

I don't think an offer has been made, just talk from Stiemsma's agent. The offer from 'Sota being thrown about is one year, $3mil. I think if Danny goes full biannunal exception (BAE), two years, around $4.1mil total, maybe this will turn his head. I hope so, anyway.

gyso

gyso,

I think you're right. Danny cannot offer Steamer more than the bi-annual exemption, which is just shy of $2M/year. He can, I believe, make it a multi-year contract.

If he offers the bi-annual for 2 years, and it's accepted, would that give us his Bird rights? That would mean he's with us for 3 years including last year.

Do it, Danny! He's almost gone now, so you have nothing to lose, and we're stacked at wing.

Get on the phone, KG, and call your guy! Tell him he better !@#$%^& come back or else!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Good offers Matty, unfortunately, MONEY talks these days.

The one thing I would remind him is that the Celtics gave him a chance when no one would, and he made a pretty penny in playoff money.

Maybe he is afraid of KG?????

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:37 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Good offers Matty, unfortunately, MONEY talks these days.

The one thing I would remind him is that the Celtics gave him a chance when no one would, and he made a pretty penny in playoff money.

Maybe he is afraid of KG?????

Rosalie

Rosalie,

Who isn't?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:

Rosalie,

gyso

gyso,

I think you're right. Danny cannot offer Steamer more than the bi-annual exemption, which is just shy of $2M/year. He can, I believe, make it a multi-year contract.

If he offers the bi-annual for 2 years, and it's accepted, would that give us his Bird rights? That would mean he's with us for 3 years including last year.

Do it, Danny! He's almost gone now, so you have nothing to lose, and we're stacked at wing.

Get on the phone, KG, and call your guy! Tell him he better !@#$%^& come back or else!

bob

bobh,

Yes, we would have his Bird rights at the end of that 2-year contract. If he continues to grow as a player, we could reward him at that time.

I think he generates the biggest bang for the buck, considering what is left in the free agent market. He also fills a big gap in our roster.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next