The Ultimate ego tripping??? LBJ gives #23 back to MJ; asks others to follow suit

+6
DJ
sinus007
gyso
Outside
jeb
gacracker
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Ultimate ego tripping???  LBJ gives  #23 back to MJ; asks others to follow suit - Page 2 Empty Re: The Ultimate ego tripping??? LBJ gives #23 back to MJ; asks others to follow suit

Post by gacracker Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:52 am

Many thanks, sinus, for the great, great read.

IMHO, LBJ is an insufferable glory hog who sucks up all the oxygen leaving the rest of us gasping for air.

He lacks the maturity to eclipse any of the truly NBA greats (or even near greats.... hmmmm... think similarly ego challenged Kobe) at this point and it shows both on and off the court.

Sadly, he is brings new meaning to the term..... LUSA!

Maybe he'll lurch into a new direction and quit the game (a la Jordan) to pursue being the greatest tight end the NFL has yet to see.

And after that, (topping you know who), go for the hat trick, maybe redefine the NHL game... becoming the first goalie to eschew wood to stop pucks with his mouth..... (sigh) Rolling Eyes

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate ego tripping???  LBJ gives  #23 back to MJ; asks others to follow suit - Page 2 Empty Re: The Ultimate ego tripping??? LBJ gives #23 back to MJ; asks others to follow suit

Post by beat Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 am

Tell me this kid has never heard the word NO

LeBron's mother, Gloria James, created a firestorm of controversy when a bank took her son's future earning power into consideration, resulting in an approval of a loan used to buy an $80,000 Hummer H2 for her son's 18th birthday. The event prompted an investigation by the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA). Under the OHSAA guidelines, no amateur may accept any gift valued over $100 as a reward for athletic performance.[4] When James later accepted two throwback jerseys of Wes Unseld and Gale Sayers worth $845 from NEXT, an urban clothing store in Shaker Square, in exchange for his posing for pictures to be displayed on the store's walls, OHSAA stripped him of his eligibility.[5] James appealed and a judge blocked the ruling, reducing the penalty to a two-game suspension and allowing him to play the remainder of the season. However, James's team was forced to forfeit one of their wins as a result.

Here is the entire bio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeBron_James#High_school

Seems to me he has had his meat cut for him, chewed, and placed ever so gently in his rather large mouth since birth.

beat

Last edited by beat on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:09 am

Brons High School's (St. Vincent-St.Marys) Mission Statement

Mission statement
"In the spirit of the Gospel, we are committed to educate the whole person: to lead and to serve, enlightening the mind, developing the body, touching the heart, and inspiring the soul."

Academics overview
The school offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum, including three tracks (basic, college preparatory, and Honors/AP) for all core academic courses. The school offers nine Advanced Placement courses and strong fine arts programs in music, drama/theatre, and visual art, with a dance program in the planning stages. The school's foreign language offerings include five years of Spanish and French, and four years of Russian. In addition, the school offers a variety of elective courses from which to choose, allowing students much control in determining their course of study above and beyond the school’s graduation requirements.

Wonder what core courses Bron took?

just wondering si all.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:26 am

Beat & Sam: I'm sure Lebron's expression of his feelings for #23 jersey league-wide retirement were at least somewhat based on interests that would benefit his image, or at least so he thought! Many now are claiming his motives are transparent. As I stated previously #6 due to that number being Russell's domain shouldn't be the road for Lebron to travel. Give the guy a break! He is involved in charity work, helps kids and his community. Unlike Ray Lewis, he wasn't party to a murder, unlike O.J., well you know, and unlike Kobe, he didn't molest anyone. He (James) may be superficial in some respects, but Jordan himself was much more interested in the monetary aspects of life than what effects social change. Michael's own words were, "Republicans buy sneakers, too"!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:49 am

MD

I call it as I see it.............phoney!

Any time I see "involved in charity work" I really wonder.

I know what my family makes. And I certainly know what we give each week. And I do know it helps.

Sorry, getting a $80,000 Hummer when your 18 and base on "future earnings" smacks to giving right across the face. Sure you might see him hand out something to needy kids somewhere for a photo opp as do lots of "stars" and polititians.

I nor has Sam ever compared him to Lewis, Kobe or OJ, you brought those names up. Bron, to his credit, has apparently lived a law abiding life from all accounts.

I just think the guy is so full of himself it stinks.

He has the means to give a heck of a lot. And maybe he does, I certainly don't know. To me though, it's all PR crap.

And I could certainly use a new pair of sneakers, but my 4 year old ones do just fine for now.

To me wearing a new # any # is just a marketing ploy to sell millions of new jerseys to kids who probably could least afford them. We'll find out next summer about following the money as then we will all see what the king decieds to do.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:49 am

beat wrote:Brons High School's (St. Vincent-St.Marys) Mission Statement

Academics overview
The school offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum, including three tracks (basic, college preparatory, and Honors/AP) for all core academic courses. The school offers nine Advanced Placement courses and strong fine arts programs in music, drama/theatre, and visual art, with a dance program in the planning stages. The school's foreign language offerings include five years of Spanish and French, and four years of Russian. In addition, the school offers a variety of elective courses from which to choose, allowing students much control in determining their course of study above and beyond the school’s graduation requirements.

Wonder what core courses Bron took? beat

Awarded the exclusive dribbling idiot savant status with game, maybe he skipped core and went straight to the next level. . . advanced!

Which ones?

I would def say the most likely top three are.... drama, drama and drama!

Natch!

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:03 pm

GA

LOL

with a dance program in the planning stages

Now we know where the crab dribble came from!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:44 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:Beat & Sam: I'm sure Lebron's expression of his feelings for #23 jersey league-wide retirement were at least somewhat based on interests that would benefit his image, or at least so he thought! Many now are claiming his motives are transparent. As I stated previously #6 due to that number being Russell's domain shouldn't be the road for Lebron to travel. Give the guy a break! He is involved in charity work, helps kids and his community. Unlike Ray Lewis, he wasn't party to a murder, unlike O.J., well you know, and unlike Kobe, he didn't molest anyone. He (James) may be superficial in some respects, but Jordan himself was much more interested in the monetary aspects of life than what effects social change. Michael's own words were, "Republicans buy sneakers, too"!-MD.

MD- You and I usually agree on 110% of the issues, if that is possible. However, OJ, Kobe, Artest, and the Boston Strangler all, at one time, invested time in community affairs. It's good for PR relations for future Nike type contracts I suspect. If LeBron did not know that specifically picking Number 6 to wear while at the same time trying to sell it the NBA to retire #23 based on Michael's NBA accomplishments would be perceived as a hurtful and disrespectful act directed at Bill Russell, than LeBron has no business calling himself an ambassador and a role model for kids. Particularly, for Black children and young adults attempting to stay on the right side of the tracks. By the way, I have great respect for MJ and his accomplishments. However, how can anyone compare what MJ did for today's NBA players versus what Bill Russell has done for the NBA, for his community, for communities throughout the country, and for those in the NBA, such as Shaq and Kobe, that needed a bit of "wisdom" and "guidance" from one of greatest "human beings" to set foot on a basketball court.

LeBron has spoken and has a lot of fence mending to do in my "book". I agree with Sam, a bobble head of LeBron James is more than an accurate reflection of his conduct. Let's not forget the great example he set for his followers after refusing to congratulate the Magic and talk to the press after he failed to make the finals.

David

PS- I am not going to use the words; ungrateful, inconsiderate, political, ignorant, insensitive, or disrespectful since they would not be appropriate for me to do so in a publication!!!
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:12 pm

One writer posed the possibility that LeBron came up with the MJ jersey number idea because of the announcement before that same game that Dwayne Wade would be the first to wear the 25th anniversary Air Jordan shoes. (The reason Jordan was at the game was because of the shoe announcement.) The idea here is that LeBron wanted to show Jordan that he (not Wade) is Jordan's biggest fan and that he wanted to one-up Wade in the Jordan hero-worship game.

Interesting idea, and it makes sense to me.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:12 pm

MD,

Sorry, but all stars are involved in charity work. It's absolutely de rigeur as mandated by agents, part of whose jobs involve a huge concern for public relations. I don't mean to imply that the stars are doing something in which they don't believe, and I realize that some are truly passionate about the objects of their philanthropy.

But the fact of Lebron's being involved in charity work doesn't set him apart from other stars in any way. It just fulfills an obligation of his position. Not being a party to murder doesn't necessarily set him apart from the vast majority of people in the population, and abiding by the laws of the land doesn't earn him any particular special credit in my book.

I've been a lifelong student of human nature, both as a vocation and an avocation. Included in that pursuit is a wide span of considerations, ranging from word usage to body language. Although I'll certainly be the first to agree that Lebron is a very good individual player, I'll stick with my assessment of him as an increasingly self-indulgent person.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:46 pm

Outside wrote:One writer posed the possibility that LeBron came up with the MJ jersey number idea because of the announcement before that same game that Dwayne Wade would be the first to wear the 25th anniversary Air Jordan shoes. (The reason Jordan was at the game was because of the shoe announcement.) The idea here is that LeBron wanted to show Jordan that he (not Wade) is Jordan's biggest fan and that he wanted to one-up Wade in the Jordan hero-worship game.

Interesting idea, and it makes sense to me.

Outside, from my single NBA basketball and Celtics fan point of view, I wouldn't have a problem with LeBron attempting to campaign to retire #23 based on his thoughts about Michael Jordan. However, I have a huge problem with his choice to single out #6 as a replacement at the same time. There is no requirement to choose another number at the same time one attempts to campaign to have another number retired. His decision to choose Number 6, if not an intentional insult of Bill Russell's accomplishment, it was, at minimum a reckless disregard of the knowledge of the history of the sport that has offered him a unique place in life!!!

David
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:01 pm

David, I couldn't agree more. Sam thinks "his selection of #6 is calculated to lower Russell's stature," but as I said in my initial post on this thread, I think it's just clueless.

I just find it curious that he blurted out this idea at the same game where Wade was announced as the player to introduce the new Air Jordan. I think it spurred him to make a rash, poorly thought-out move.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate ego tripping???  LBJ gives  #23 back to MJ; asks others to follow suit - Page 2 Empty Pimpin' the Messiah complex

Post by gacracker Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Kings are utterly self-indulgent and magnanimous. Dieties are far worse.

That being a given, What He offered to MJ was something that no mere mortal could possibly give MJ... his number back and by implication, the safety and permanence of MJ's position back atop the NBA world below... while KJ ascends ever higher toward diety status.

KJ simply tried to fix a problem that He and only He believed existed, a problem that He and only He could have created by His own Messiah-like assault on MJ's utterly flawed and all too human legacy.

KJ simply tried to answer the prayers of those like MJ who dare to gaze at His likeness! And He was rebuffed.

We all know that pimpin' hoes ain't easy.

Multiply that by a gazillion and you might begin to understand the load that KJ is carryin' tryin' to pimp the messiah thing.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Pimpin' Ain't Easy-stolen from the Godfather and his stable-years ago from World Wrestling Entertainment!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Outside, with all due respect, no way is Lebron clueless. He appears to be a very calculating individual. "Clueless" wouldn't have tied his new number selection to his pronouncement about the old number. "Clueless" would simply have selected another number later, under the radar—no big deal. He wasn't too "clueless" to mention, during his announcement, his knowledge that Russ and Dr. J had worn number 6. He deliberately elected to include the new number selection in an announcement that he knew would gain national attention. This was a carefully calculated announcement "package."

Frankly, what makes the thing most ridiculous is for him to assume he has the stature as an individual that gives him the right to make an announcement of the "Jackie Robinson" magnitude.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate ego tripping???  LBJ gives  #23 back to MJ; asks others to follow suit - Page 2 Empty BAD... BUT NOT EVIL... so Dig it!

Post by gacracker Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Sam:

Okay... maybe BronBron is a bad doode... but he ain't evil.

How do I know? Because when I watch him play, I always hum LBJ's favorite tune, the Shangri-Las "The Leader of the Pack."

Seriously try studying the lyrics below, hum it, get a good grip on your Depends while you sing out .... and you too will find what I call... TROOF!

GC

[Spoken:]
Is she really going out with him?
Well, there she is. Let's ask her.
Betty, is that Lebron's ring you're wearing?
Mm-hmm
Gee, it must be great riding with him
Is he picking you up after school today?
Uh-uh
By the way, where'd you meet him?

I met him at the candy store
He turned around and smiled at me
You get the picture? (yes, we see)
That's when I fell for (the leader of the pack)

My folks were always putting him down (down, down)
They said he came from the wrong side of town
(whatcha mean when ya say that he came from the wrong side of town?)
They told me he was bad
But I knew he was sad
That's why I fell for (the leader of the pack)

One day my dad said, "Find someone new"
I had to tell my Lebron we're through
(whatcha mean when ya say that ya better go find somebody new?)
He stood there and asked me why
But all I could do was cry
I'm sorry I hurt you (the leader of the pack)

[Spoken:]
He sort of smiled and kissed me goodbye
The tears were beginning to show
As he drove away on that rainy night
I begged him to go slow
But whether he heard, I'll never know

Look out! Look out! Look out! Look out!

I felt so helpless, what could I do?
Remembering all the things we'd been through
In school they all stop and stare
I can't hide the tears, but I don't care
I'll never forget him (the leader of the pack)

The leader of the pack - now he's gone
[Fade]
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:22 pm

Sam,

I didn't realize he'd mentioned Russell as having worn no. 6. Given that, I agree with your assessment.

I haven't been right about much of anything today. I think it's a good day for me to stay away from picking the lottery or the stock market. Oy!

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:22 pm

Outside,

Here's the link to the article I took that information from:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/02/even_while_wearing_no_23_lebro.html

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Outside, Sam, et al.

James' quote in the article that Sam posted is pretty interesting; Here's his quote that is found in the article;

"Well, No. 6 was Dr. J (Julius Erving) and Bill Russell's number," James said casually, showing his deep knowledge of the game's history. "There have been great players to wear 6, but Michael is the greatest to wear my number."

Think about it!!!! James is implying that neither Russ, Dr. J are the greatest that ever wore Number 6 which will translate into the fact that James is greater than either of the two since James will wear #6, but not #23!! Perhaps its James "Freudian slip" indicating he believes he is "greater" than either one of those Hall of Famers.

By the way, James' statement states MJ is the greatest player that ever wore "my number" (23)!!! Did James give Michael the right to wear #23 when James was a kid!! Perhaps, the King is wearing #23 a number worn by Frank Ramsey and Michael. I would think he could at least say, I am wearing MJ's number!!!

David
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate ego tripping???  LBJ gives  #23 back to MJ; asks others to follow suit - Page 2 Empty KJ... a royal, clueless, unrepentant, arrogant brownnosing sycophant... who will never, never, never, never measure up to MJ or Russ or Magic or Bird or Oscar or any of the other truly NBA greats

Post by gacracker Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Well MJ shows some class by thanking KingJames for the flattery (wink, wink) but suggests that no one great player in the NBA deserves to have his number retired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4674835

Ths entire episode is embarrassing, no doubt to MJ too who is certainly not clueless (unlike KJ) as to the history and heroes of the game.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:17 am

This thread has a whole lot of life left in it.....

coach Brown (yes, coach with a small "c" ) makes a decision not to play Ilgauskas against Dallas recently wanting a smaller, quicker lineup and incurs the wrath of not only Z but King James. Apparently Z was primed to break the all time record for games played as a Cav... and the record was denied him when coach Brown screwed up... and didn't call his number.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4704298

No apology yet from coach Brown but one senses that may be on the way.

KJ's insufferability may be contagious! Z caught something. Don't you think?

Off with coach's head... sez KJ and now Z???

Et tu, Ilgauskas? No

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:37 am

For his sake, I hope Mike Brown is renting in or aound Cleveland. Looks like he's starting to make the wrong people upset. If the Cavs don't deliver a title he's gone. If that doesn't happen then Lebron is gone, and Brown may or may not be asked to exit stage right or left before or after him. Maybe he and Charlie Weis can share an apartment somewhere. A new Odd Couple, maybe. But they look like a couple of Oscars, no Felix there, just a couple of slobs!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:56 am

gacracker wrote:This thread has a whole lot of life left in it.....

coach Brown (yes, coach with a small "c" ) makes a decision not to play Ilgauskas against Dallas recently wanting a smaller, quicker lineup and incurs the wrath of not only Z but King James. Apparently Z was primed to break the all time record for games played as a Cav... and the record was denied him when coach Brown screwed up... and didn't call his number.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4704298

No apology yet from coach Brown but one senses that may be on the way.

KJ's insufferability may be contagious! Z caught something. Don't you think?

Off with coach's head... sez KJ and now Z???

Et tu, Ilgauskas? No

GC

Hi,
The rumor is that Mike Brown decided to show who's the boss. earlier he was pressured by Danny F to start Hickson instead of AV.
All Cavs fans I talked with are outraged, surprised, don't like, etc this decision. If the rumor is true, the decision is stupid: he's late by 4 years to show that he's the boss. On the other hand, I don't understand LJ: if he didn't like it he should've told it to Mike Brown during the game, not in the Plain Dealer the next day.
As for coach's head they should've cut it after San Antonio fiasco and absolutely after Orlando this year. As for Z, I think he was just caught in the middle of the power struggle or whatever is going on in the Cavs organization.
Just my $.02
AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate ego tripping???  LBJ gives  #23 back to MJ; asks others to follow suit - Page 2 Empty KJ... hooked on ink and starved for HEADLINES!!!

Post by gacracker Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:31 am

sinus007 wrote: On the other hand, I don't understand LJ: if he didn't like it he should've told it to Mike Brown during the game, not in the Plain Dealer the next day.AK

Sinus: If KJ had said something to coach Brown during the game, he risked a resolution of the problem, (POOF!!! No Problemo ) which would inevitably have led... alas... to a non-story, not picked up by the newspaper.

A tough, tough situation indeed... and a risk KJ apparently unwilling to take.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2