Lack of backup PG concerns Doc

5 posters

Go down

Lack of backup PG concerns Doc Empty Lack of backup PG concerns Doc

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 am

I guess this plays into Sam's post-Milan analysis. Holistically, we only have one pg and the others are stand-ins at best. This would also explain why Dionte kept deferring to Smith as the point guard. Doc wants to see if he can handle it. I saw no evidence of Smith being able to play point in summer league and he had zero assists and 3 turnovers in Milan.

www.boston.com/sports/2012/10/07/lack-backup-point-guard-concerns-doc-rivers-celtics-finish-european-tour/TrCmdQT44PNykluargd7rM/story.html

Jason Terry has been anointed the new reserve point
guard, but Rivers said he is uncomfortable with Terry constantly
handling the ball. So what to do? The Celtics don’t have a legitimate
backup to Rajon Rondo, yet Rivers doesn’t feel the need to pluck one from the free agent market.

“I like his skill set, but honestly I’m concerned about our backup
point; I thought so far, the way we’ve played, Jason Terry is handling
the ball a lot,” Rivers said before the Celtics’ 105-75 win over Emporio
Armani Milano Sunday. “I don’t want that. I want him to be a scorer and
I think him handling the ball takes away his best ability. And as a
staff, we have to figure out something better for him. Courtney Lee the same way, I don’t want him overhandling it either, and right now with Avery [Bradley] out, we’re kinda stuck.

“We have to figure that one out as a staff and put them in better
spots, and I think that is on us more than them. But when Avery comes
back, when those four guys come together, that’s a pretty good crew. I
would say the best guard crew I’ve had since I’ve been in Boston.”

The question is whether a player such as nonroster invitee Jamar Smith or Dionte Christmas can
emerge at that position. Smith was the first point guard off the bench
Sunday as Rivers seeks to find the answer on his own roster. Smith
finished with three turnovers and no assists in 12 minutes.

“We’re hoping Jamar can do it,” Rivers said. “Keyon, that’s a big
loss. It’s funny, even as a coach, I don’t think you realize his loss
until you see it on the floor in a game. And you realize, ‘Wow, that’s a
bigger loss than I thought.’ But I am hoping we can figure that out
without going out and getting another body. Jamar has a chance, [as
does] the combination of Courtney and Jason Terry. That’s a big concern.
After one game, if I had a concern, that would be it.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Lack of backup PG concerns Doc Empty Re: Lack of backup PG concerns Doc

Post by rickdavisakaspike Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 am

This season seems to be brimming over with some many heartwarming stories, from KG coming back, to Green and Wilcox wanting to settle in, to the Rondo Supremacy . . . and so much more.

How about this one: undrafted free agent goes overseas, polishes his skills, returns and makes it to the NBA as Rondo's backup?

Doc knows Smith isn't a playmaker. He knows JT needs someone in the backcourt with him who can handle the ball, someone who knows JT's game. Why not someone who's been learning his game and listening to his words all summer long? Someone whom Rondo took on as a pet project in summer camp?

Doesn't it appear as though fate's fickle finger is beckoning to Dionte Xmas? He chose the Celtics, came on like gangbusters, took advantage of every chance he got, said and did all the right things, including taking advantage of private coaching by one of the best in the NBA at his position. It's absolutely true that the kid deserves all the credit for all he's done - he's put himself in the right place at the right time. If there ever was an opportunity and if there ever was a kid you wanted to reach out and grasp it - how heartwarming would that be?

All the amazing stories: Sullinger falling to 21, Darko catching Celtics fever, Doc ascending to heaven . . .

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:34 am

Rick,

Yeah, I don't understand why Doc isn't giving Xmas more time at point either. I've watched Jamar Smith closely over the summer league and the two pre-season games and it is clear to me he does not have a point guard's mentality or handle. He will bring the ball up, but then will give it up and run into a 2 guard set routine. Either this is Doc being stubborn and trying to shoehorn Smith into a role Doc needs (like he tried, unsuccessfully, to do to Bradley) or he thinks that backup PG is the only way an undersized SG like Smith can make this team and is giving him every opportunity to earn that job.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Bob

It does appear that Doc and Danny are giving Smith the first grab at the brass ring, probably based on his being a good soldier and working on his game in Maine. He looks good. I like his defensive positioning and his quick feet. He seems to have that hungry attitude that you want to see. I'm hesitant to write him off because Bradley took time to show what he had. Smith's poor shooting is most likely a case of nerves, which doesn't bode well, unfortunately for him.

It's also tough luck that fate sent someone like Xmas along just when Smith was due his chance. Confidence is such a huge factor, as Doc keeps saying, and Xmas doesn't seemed to lack that.

We shall see. It all may come down to a matter of destiny. We certainly won't witness ten new players coming thru that door next year: what we're seeing is a long-term process as Danny builds the foundation for the future. Maybe what's so exciting is the potential.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:35 pm

I think that during yesterday's pre-game they were talking about Smith. They mentioned that Smith said that when he got into the game in Istanbul, his heart was racing so fast he was just happy to get the ball over the half court line.

Maybe that excitement carried over to the next game and threw him off a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Assuming Rondo logs 34-36 mpg we need a bu point for 12-14 mpg.

Jt is one of the best combo guards in the nba during his years with the Hawks he played the point most of the time, so the concern could be addressed by letting jt play the bu point. There are not enough minutes at the 2 for AB, CL and Jt Someone has to play point and jt is better at the point than ab. Lee has minimal pg skills.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Dboss,

I had originally thought that Terry was going to be the backup PG and play some two guard too. Doc's concern now has me wondering if he's come to the conclusion (from practices and games) that Jason isn't up to the job. Doc says he doesn't want the ball in Jason's hands all that much. Gives me cause for pause. But your news about Jason's abilities is reassuring.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Sam

JT played pg for the Hawks for 5 yrs averaging 16.2 ppg and 5.5 assists. As he becomes more familiar with the offense and his teammates he should be able to give us some quality minutes at the point. Adding another pg would give us 6 guards including xmas. Since we have 4 legit starting guards getting them minutes will be a challenge.

The old Celtics teams presents a roadmap on how to utilize 4+ quality guards.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Dboss,

And it didn't hurt that Havlicek and Ramsey could swing to the SF position. To retread some ground in our previous conversation, in 1962-63, the Celtics had five future Hall-of-Famers playing the guard position. They averaged only 25 ppg (think how fresh they constantly were), which adds up to 125 minutes per game. At least 29 minutes per game had to be spent at a non-guard position (presumably SF).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:57 am

In the 1962 Finals, in the last few minutes of regulation and the first minute or so of overtime, because all the forwards had fouled out, Bill Russell was on the floor with Cooz, K.C., Sam, and Ramsey.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down