sdceltfan
NYCelt
cowens/oldschool
LilRip
Sam
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who are Your Heroes? Empty Who are Your Heroes?

Post by Sam Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:28 am

I was just talking with LACelt via private message; and I was saying that I don't mind becoming older in general. But one of the most difficult aspects of aging is the gradual disappearance of my heroes. I've never met many of them; but just knowing they were still around has always been a centering force in my life.

I think that, for many of us, one or both of our parents (or sometimes other family members) have been heroes to us...and for very solid reasons. But, if we restrict our thinking to people in the public eye for a moment, I'm wondering who your single biggest hero is (or has been)? This is not one of those "greatest this or that" threads. The reason doesn't have to be more than emotional or entirely personal. But I'd be interested in having people name their biggest hero (dead or alive) and telling a little about the reasons.

In my own case, he's just about my only hero who's still alive. My dad was listening to a World Series game in 1946, and I heard this player's name and asked about him. Turned out Bobby Doerr was a mainstay second baseman with the Red Sox. I became fascinated by him because he seemed to embody everything I admired in my dad and others—an unassuming, quiet gentleman who exuded dependability. I quickly soaked every bit of knowledge I could gather about Bobby Doerr and still have all sorts of mementoes—even a little newspaper clipping about when he joined the Masons.

He had a distinguished career with the Sox as a clutch hitter and masterful fielder; entered the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1986; and is currently the HOF's oldest living former player. I idolizd the man and was devastated when an injury forced him to retire in 1951. Little did I realize, at the time, that I had just scratched the surface of realizing how much Bobby Doerr would eventually mean to me.

I continued to devour the increasingly less frequent items I could find about him in books and other media. (No googling in those days.) I still judge the authenticity of any baseball book by whether or not it mentions Bobby Doerr. Gradually a story behind the story began to unfold—almost as reluctantly as he always was to grab the spotlight.

It turned out that, in 1947 (right in his prime), his wife developed Muscular Sclerosis. They had a son who was about age 10, and they sat down and decided not to let the disease deter or beat them. He continued to play at all-star level, and she continued to raise Donnie. MS is a strange disease, with inexorable worsening occasionally interrupted by periods of remission. Monica would sometimes need a wheelchair and usually required at least a cane; but, in home movies of the time (Bobby was an avid film buff), she was invariably laughing as her red hair flowed in the breeze.

Every winter, they returned to the beloved Oregon area where they had met when she was the only school teacher at a school for Native Americans. He had courted her mainly by rowing across the Rogue River to a weekly dance, and he recalls the time when he first knew he loved her. It was a freezing night, and the seats of the boat were extremely cold. Monica took off her coat and folded it on his seat. More than a decade later, they retired to their ranch near Eugene, where they raised first mink, then chinchillas, then cattle.

Bobby was always an avid fisherman. (Like the buddy that only Bobby could calm down, Ted Williams, Bobby is a member of the Fishing Hall of Fame.) And so was Monica. They loved to fish together, although it became increasingly difficult with her disabilities.

Time went by. Donnie became Don and eventually pitched a no-hit semi-pro game. Occasionally the whole family (including some relatives) would pile into Bobby's car and head across country to attend some event. Those cross-country actually multiplied after his 1986 election to the Hall of Fame, although Monica's now-constant wheelchair took up space in the trunk.

Their fishing adventures became less frequent but did not cease. During the winter, Bobby would carve steps in the snow and would help Monica down the banks of the Rogue so they would cast flies for steelhead trout (most of which they'd throw back). One influence that stayed strong (along with their religion) was the historic and enduring friendship between Bobby, Ted, Dom DiMaggio and Johnny Pesky—a deep commitment that spanned 60 years and involved constant communication between them. (That friendship, which I believe is unmatched in the history of professional sport, is chronicled in David Halberstam's wonderful book, "The Teammates.")

Together they survived the 90s, although Bobby was now carrying Monica up to bed at night. A new century dawned, and bathing and dressing her were added to Bobby's responsibilities. She had a couple of strokes and seldom spoke, but he included her in every decision as she could communicate with her eyes.

Finally, at Christmastime, 2004, Monica passed away. They had been married for 65 years. Bobby remains in remarkable mental and physical health for someone who's now age 91, although I believe he recently gave up the chainsaw and woodchopping.

I had begun corresponding by mail with Bobby (who became "Bob" to me because that's what he prefers) during the 90s. I just decided to write a letter to let him know what a continuing influence he had been in my life. I received a response. And sporadic letter-writing continued throughout the years.

Then, very shortly after "Monnie's" death, I happened to attend a Red Sox event in New Hampshire, at which the three surviving "Teammates" were appearing together (a fortuitously frequent occurrence over the next few years). My best friend is in the media, and he called my room and asked if I had a minute. I met him in the lobby, and he led me down a couple of corridors and opened a door. There, seated in a chair talking to a reporter, was Robert Pershing Doerr. I had to step outside the room again as this incredible wave of emotion just swept over me.

I finally gathered myself, waited until the reporter had left, and introduced myself to Bob. We chatted about everything, from fishing (I was faking that because I'm not a fisherman) to philosophical issues associated with Monnie's death. He was the warmest human being I could have imagined, but I kept feeling as though was going to pass gas or do something equally embarrassing. I was carrying on a conversation while, in my mind, this video was displaying my dad listening to that world series game; the at bats when I'd tighten every muscle in my body when a pitch came toward Bob; the steps carved in the snow; the red hair blowing in the wind that also caught the sound of laughter.

And, all too soon, our little meeting was over. But it was only the beginning. We kept meeting at events, and we bacame really good friends. I went to Bob's home in Oregon for his 89th birthday and took his entire extended family out for dinner. That was when I found out that, contrary to my lifelong belief, Bob Doerr was human. He had always been famous for not swearing or drinking; and, much of my life, I firmly believed he had never even used a bathroom. So it came time for drink orders, and he ordered my favorite: "Margarita, rocks, no salt." I was nonplussed. Then he ordered another one. It turned out that, late in life, he began allowing himself a couple on his birthday. I went away from that experience realizing that the man I idolized was indeed mortal!

We see each other from time to time. He was honored at Fenway Park a couple of years ago, and I went to both breakfast and dinner with him and his family (and, by the way, met dslack under the stands during that game). The last time he came to Boston (a year ago), I picked him up at his hotel and took him to an event at Fenway Park. (There was some kind of fire scare, so we sat in my car and talked for about an hour.) We still speak fairly often on the phone. In fact, I'm so energized that I'd pick up the phone right now; but it's after midnight where he is, and I'd prefer to remain his friend. My wife and I hope to swing up to Oregon to see him after (hopefully) our Celtics Forum San Francisco Party next April.

In the meantime, I'm truly blessed to have had the same role model from the age of nine to well into my Social Security years. Here's to Bob (and Monica).

Please let me know about your heroes.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Who are Your Heroes? Empty Re: Who are Your Heroes?

Post by LilRip Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:11 am

wow Sam, great story! you're very lucky to have met one of your heroes.

as for me, as silly as this may sound, one of my childhood heroes growing up is actually... Eminem. yeah, he's foul-mouthed and psychotic but i think he's one of the greatest lyricists ever with his sharp wordplay. I became a huge fan when "the Real Slim Shady" dropped and have been a fan ever since.

He inspired me to develop my "artistic" skills, most notably my writing. He also inspired me to develop my speaking abilities (right now, i'm a student DJ in a local radio station). His wordplay and imagery, as violent/crazy as those may be, are admittedly very creative and he's helped open my eyes to a new world. I mean, you have to take him with a grain of salt. Understand that though I don't want to be him, I do immensely appreciate his talent and his work ethic (he's a perfectionist).

he's not like most other hip hop artists out there who always try to be "cool". he knows he's awkward and off-beat and he doesnt care. so to me, he just comes off as very real and very relatable.

oh well, thats one of my stories. may seem a bit shallow but whatever Razz

- LilRip
LilRip
LilRip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:35 am

Rip,

It doesn't seem at all shallow. One thing about heroes is that, once something about them inspires one to get beneath the surface in learning about them, one discovers more and more to respect and emulate. That's the OPPOSITE of shallow in my book. My hero would never be yours, and your hero would never be mine; but having them as heroes has profoundly affected our respective lives and has hopefully made both of us better people.

For a student in today's world to be motivated to develop his writing and speaking abilities is the ultimate of "cool," in my humble opinion.

I really hope that, some time, you'll consider using those writing abilities to drop him a line and let him know how much he has inspired you. Just a sincere note of thanks that doesn't have to gush over him (because that crap is a dime a dozen) but just expresses your gratitude. You never know what might happen as a result.

And I hope you some day get to meet him.

Thanks a lot for responding. Not a particularly traditional message board thread, and not necessarily related to basketball...but an interesting topic nonethtless.

Best regards,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:50 am

Sam

There were alot of great athletes that I loved watching,Ali,Bird,Hondo,Pierce,Lawrence Taylor,Jack Lambert and would root for them all the time faithfully,but the two athletes that I loved and idolized the most were the great fighter Roberto Duran and another Celtic,everyones favorite Dave Cowens.What I loved about them is the way they competed,how they went after it in their unique all out take no prisoners style.Neither was necessarily the most skilled or talented,they just outworked and outfought you,each had a physical relentless combatitive style that I tried in my own way to emulate as a kid with mixed results,but it was fun trying.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Sam,

This is a different and thought provoking topic.

You mention looking beyond family members, toward someone in the public eye. I'll make my usual disclaimer about not having heroes except for my father and grandfather and then answer your question.

I would sincerely name a former U.S. president who is my only hero beyond family but we know the fun we've had whenever political figures are mentioned on these boards in the past!

Although I truly have never had what you might call a "public" sports hero, I would have to say Brooks Robinson comes the closest. He was the defensive sparkplug on my favorite team in my favorite sport, possibly the best glove ever at third, which was among my positions through college ball. I really admired the way he kept a low profile and let his glove and sometimes his bat do the talking. He seemed to always be a gentleman on and off the field and always took time for the fans.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Cow,

It's hard not to appreciate someone who puts out like those guys. And I can see the same sense of urgency in your demeanor. You're doing a great job of emulating them.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:43 pm

NYCelt,

I'd be interested in who the president is. As I stated at the outset, this is not one of those "greatest this and greatest that" threads. Neither is it a place for political debate. This is a thread where people's opinions will be automatically respected simply because they're meaningful to those who express them.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:19 pm

Sam,

Ronald Reagan. I've always appreciated the fact that he and his administration restored a sense of national pride to our country. Further, I always liked his sense of optimism, his candor and the obvious love he had for his country. It seemed like our nation was safer and growing into new areas of prosperity when he held the reigns. I consider him to be among the greatest Americans who have ever lived.

Interesting enough I was a college student in Wisconsin working for the Carter campaign when Reagan won his first term by beating Carter. You might say I changed teams on that one!

Regards

Last edited by NYCelt on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:58 pm

As a child, Sam, my hero was Willie Mays. Never met him, but I even kept a scrapbook of all his allstar games. I loved his flair and love for the game. I still admire him greatly and feel good that he has lived a long and fruitful life.

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Who are Your Heroes? Empty A humble Southern Judge with a lasting legacy

Post by gacracker Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Judge Frank M. Johnson, federal judge in Montgomery Alabama from the late 1950's until 1991, who nearly singlehanded brought desegration of public transportation and all public facilities in the South, brought down the poll tax system and okayed the MLK Montgomery to Selma march, taking on his old classmate, Gov. George Wallace and eating the gov's lunch.

A champion of humane treatment of the mentally ill and prisoners, he cleaned up the overcrowding and deplorable conditions in mental hospitals and prisons. Equal treatment of women, voters ... the list is endless.

Known in Alabama simply as "Judge" he profoundly changed the South for the better with his rulings.

Under constant death threats for decades, he was protected by federal marshalls 24/7. Crosses burned on his lawn, his mother's house dynamited, this activist liberal judge never lost faith in the basic goodness of the American people. We are a better nation because of Frank Johnson.

His NYT OBIT in 1999: http://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/24/us/frank-m-johnson-jr-judge-whose-rulings-helped-desegregate-the-south-dies-at-80.html?pagewanted=all

RIP, JUDGE!

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Sam

Gosh where to start. Hero, interesting word like NYCelt I was enamored by the Mick. Mickey Mantle was IT. Loved the old NYGiants with Y.A. Tittle at the helm. Watching Jim Brown carring half their team 5 yards down the field. Of course the C's with Hondo were right there to. With the Space Program taking over the Mercury Astronauts were it. I even sent away for autograph photos of them and still have them. I can't imagine the courage it must have took to put yourself in a tin can atop a friggin powderkeg and let them touch it off! Of the bunch for some reason Scott Cooper was my favorite. I always thought I wanted to be one. I guess I could call them all heros in my young eyes. But these were people that I always read about and never really knew.

As with most kids in my little town many of us never had much but we didn't know any better, I was very fortunate to know both sets of grand parents and even some of my great grandparents. I have a rather large base of uncles and aunts and cousins and we almost all lived fairly close together. Of all my family I think of from time to time, aside from dad was my mom's father. Grandpa ran the farm and helped do some chores right up until just before he passed on at 88 years old. I don't think anyone worked harder than he. And I don't think anyone gave more than him. If a man was down on his luck a bit Gramps did something to make it better. When Grandma died I remembeer his matter of fact talk saying he'd have to learn to live alone now. The man could bake and his homemade bread was out of this world. He could tellstories and make you laugh. I never heard him say anything bad about anyone and no one ever spoke ill of him. In his long life from 1900-1988 he saw so much change. I can honestly say that I could only wish to be like half the man he was.

My new heros I see virtually ever day being so close to Ft Drum and the 10th Mountain Division. You can't travel to far around here and not see a young man or woman from the armed forces. In the back of my mind I always wonder what is going thru theirs. Have they just recently returned to the ir families? Are they heading over soon? Are they scared?
Although not always I do try to say a word or two to them sometines nothing more than a thank you for what you do, with an outstretched hand.

I'ver rambled alot already and there are others that come to mind to. My high school coach for many sports and seasons. I would run thru a wall for him.

Suffice to say no one person shaped my direction. I am very lucky to have a great family and great coworkers, and a Christian belief that although things might be tough, that somehow things will get better, and if not I will find the strength to get through it.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:36 pm

NYCelt,

My wife and I were honored to be at the American Cemetary above Omaha Beach when Reagan spoke at the 40th anniversary of D-Day. As you know, the man could really delivery a speech, and that one had everyone in tears of pride. Pretty powerful stuff.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:42 pm

SD,

Willie received a lot of adulation as a player, but somehow I've never really felt his legacy has been maintained to the extent that it should. I think a lot of people might agree that he may have been the perfect baseball player, but I wish Willie the man were better known to all of us.

Good choice.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:48 pm

GC,

I'm so glad you selected a non-sports hero...and one whose contributions speak volumes although they may not be heralded loudly on a daily basis by the huge numbers of people whose lives he still influences.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:58 pm

Beat,

In a sense, I probably posed an unfair proposition. In the first place, I deliberately excluded family members in the interests of getting people to think more broadly; but (as NYCelt said) families abound with heroes. In the second place, life rewards us with numerous candidates, so singling out one is nearly impossible.

Back in the day, our heroes weren't so continually visible through the media; and I think that fact imbued them with a certain sense of intrigue that made us search for information on their every dimension. I sometimes wonder whether newer generations, who are fed so much information so easily, arrive at the same levels of appreciation for the heroes of today. I hope so.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:01 am

Wow nice story Sam.

Besides my parents who told me never give-up,believe in God and your hard work and drive will see you through to your goals!

As far as a personnel hero. That's hard. But what inspired me were two Teams!

First the Boston Celtic Teams, then and now beginning with the Russell era. They never quit and kept going and going and driving to batter their opponents with their sheer will to win.

The second was the New York Islanders with the same Celtic attitude when they won 4 straight Stanley Cups! Never Say Dielanders!

I was lucky to have seen the Russell Celtic a number of times at Boston & Madison Sq. Garden during that era and I saw all 4 Cup Victories by the Islanders as a season ticket holder. I guess they were an extension of what my parents instilled into me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:10 am

I never heard that term: "Never Say Dielanders." Cool.

By definition, we're all focusing on people in the public eye. But it would be unfair to overlook all those parents and teachers and medical personnel and good Samaritans and everyday people who make positive differences in the lives of others.

Like someone who would seek to start a drive to enrich unfortunate children's lives around the holiday season.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:17 am

Sam,

Then I would say John Havlicek. He played as if it was his last few seconds on earth and he was a clean family guy and someone to model your life around.

Willie Mays is the other, here is a guy who would give back by playing stick ball with kids in Harlem after a game! When was the last time a guy got out of his limo to do that!

Perhaps it was an era long gone!

By the way, thanks for the complement! We all share a little of that in all of us!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:28 am

One thing that is coming through clearly in these responses is that so many people are just bursting at the seams to mention parents as heroes. And I'm realizing how unfair it was to try to encourage answers OTHER than parents. I did so to try to elicit names of people we all might know.

But it's simply not right that any limitations should be put on a topic like this. So I'd like to open up the conversation to include ANYONE who is or was a #1 hero with you—relative or otherwise. I've realized that I actually selected my own #1 sports hero because everything I heard or read about him as a person reminded me of my dad.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:13 am

Quite a subject. I think for me, there are few categories for heroes, the 1st, a celebrity that uses their status to help some one less fortunate out, the first that comes to mind could be Jerry Lewis, for all the years he gave to the telethon. Or the sports figures who put on free camps for kids who can't afford them.

The second, is a sports figure that goes above & beyond by playing hurt. I know this is not advisable, but to me, this shows a dedication to the fans & the team. The 87 Celts big three were one example of this.

The third, are these folks I read about who pretty much dedicate their lives by taking in fosters kids. Talk about sacrifice!

The fourth, is anyone who overcomes a handicap, lousy childhood, and rises up, and does something special with their life, while ignoring all reasons/excuses why they shouldn't. Leon Powe is one that sticks out in my mind.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 am

Pete,

Who would be your #1 "poster boy" for the sports figure playing hurt?"

I agree about taking in foster kids. In fact, in my mind, anyone who does anything positive for either kids or animals (both of whom have little control over their lives) is a hero.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:54 am

Sam,

Bird, second Mchale. Last would be Manny (lol)
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Sam

I must appologize for the earlier post and although I started with good intent to leave family out it sort of just spilled out.

I'll still go with the Mick as a kid. Only saw him (TV only) on the downswing of his career. But loved reading about him. It must have been tough to have your ability erode rather quickly mostly due to injuries but some self inflicted. Of course then I had no idea that the man's personal issues then.

Did follow the early space program a lot to and still have scrapbooks of those days.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Howdy,
Well as usual, Sam has come up with a brilliant topic, one that can cause all of us to think.
For me, my greatest living hero is Muhammad Ali. Sure, he was the greatest boxer of all time but he was so much more. His Supreme Court decision alone was enuf to make me proud. I met him one morning on 8th Avenue in NYC during the notorious suspension. Just was able to shake his hand and be amazed at how my hand disappeared into his. There was no one around us. It was so memorable.
Other heroes and events also come to mind. Certainly Bob Cousy was my boyhood idol and on whom I tried to model my game. Others include Bill "the greatest basketball player of all time" Russell, Jim "greatest football player of all time" Brown, not only for their on the field/court activities but what they did for our society as a whole. I still greatly admire both men and have only seen and heard things since that made my feelings for them stronger.
I grew up in a military phamily so can't let go of two men I thought a lot of when I was a kid. Julius Caesar and Genghis Khan.
Spiritually my heroes include Mahatma Gandhi, Nichidatsu Fujii, Nichiren Dai-shonin-sama, and of course the greatest man to ever live. Lord Sakyamuni Buddah. The Buddah's teachings and life story have inspired me spiritually for over 40 years now.
I can't conclude a listing like this without including Teresa Urrea, our patron saint, who has inspired me for the last 8 years. Her story is like that of many women, she never killed anyone or led armies so there are no statues, But she devoted her life to healing the sick and infirm, was an amazing psychic, and a devoted mother who died oh so very young.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Beat,'

I finally realized my error in trying to exclude relatives, so you were perfectly in keeping with what should have been the ground rules in the first place.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next