Celtics Rumors: D.J. White Could Help Team's Interior Defense to Playoff Run

+4
k_j_88
dboss
Sam
8 posters

Go down

Celtics Rumors: D.J. White Could Help Team's Interior Defense to Playoff Run   Empty Celtics Rumors: D.J. White Could Help Team's Interior Defense to Playoff Run

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 pm

BLEACHER REPORT

BY JOSH BENJAMIN (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON FEBRUARY 22, 2013 3,903 reads 8

The Boston Celtics shored up their need at guard thanks to a trade for Jordan Crawford, but a new face in the form of former Charlotte Bobcats forward D.J. White has popped up on GM Danny Ainge's radar.

According to ESPN's Marc Stein, Boston is thinking of signing White to a 10-day contract now that his season in China is over.

In 32 games for the Shanghai Sharks, the 6'9", 251-pound White posted 21.9 points and 9.7 rebounds per game. That's a far cry from his NBA career marks of 6.3 points and 3.4 rebounds per contest.

Just the same, the Celtics owe it to themselves to give White a 10-day contract at least. They are the second-worst rebounding team in the league and need a great deal of help on the inside with Jared Sullinger out for the season.

White isn't much, but he is a definite improvement over Brandon Bass—at least at this point—and could help the team go on a playoff run.

His numbers may seem low, but White's per-36 numbers show much more potential. Since he has only averaged 16.3 minutes for his career, it's no wonder that we have yet to see him at what could be his best. Per 36 minutes, the former Indiana Hoosier posts 14 points and 7.5 rebounds per game.

Also keep in mind that in his senior season at Indiana, White averaged 17.4 points and 10.3 rebounds per contest. He has the potential to be a strong interior defender, something the Celtics need if they are to go on a successful playoff run.

If Ainge opts not to sign White, he puts the Celtics at great risk of being exposed for what they really are come playoff time: an aging roster desperately clinging to any hopes of potential greatness. Having White aboard would not only take the pressure off 36-year-old Kevin Garnett but would also inject some life into aging Boston's lineup.

All that needs to happen is for Ainge to call White or his agent and make the deal happen. If he is brought aboard and successful, the Celtics' interior defense will be much tougher come the postseason.

Otherwise, the team is almost certain to suffer an early exit. If a cold streak comes along, the Celtics may not even make the playoffs at all.

STEVE BULPETT - BOSTON HAROLD REPORTS

C’s are looking at the likes of Jerome Jordan, Tim Ohlbrecht, Shavlik Randolph, Louis Amundson, and others.

Back to top Go down

Celtics Rumors: D.J. White Could Help Team's Interior Defense to Playoff Run   Empty Re: Celtics Rumors: D.J. White Could Help Team's Interior Defense to Playoff Run

Post by Sam Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 pm

I posted elsewhere that the Celtics office is quite sure White will be a Celtic not later than this weekend.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Celtics Rumors: D.J. White Could Help Team's Interior Defense to Playoff Run   Empty Re: Celtics Rumors: D.J. White Could Help Team's Interior Defense to Playoff Run

Post by dboss Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm getting sick and tire that these writers keep referring to them as an aging roster.

New York is the oldest and the Heat are the 2nd oldest team. Plus the Lakers, Clippers, Bills and Nets are all older.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:35 pm

San Antonio, too.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 am

DBoss:

The Bills are in the NFL, and play with a 53 man roster

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 am

DJ White's signing is being slowed up by two things:

1. His team in Shanghai is slow. Welcome to doing business with a Communist state.

2. Danny Ainge has said he probably won't make a move before Wednesday or Thursday, as the team doesn't play again until Friday.

This last comment makes it clear to me that White is just an injury insurance policy and stopgap to comply with league minimum roster requirements. If you really thought you might have gotten someone with potential to truly make the team, you'd get him in and watch him workout in practice with players to try and find a slot/role for him. Danny's watching the waiver wire.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Celtics signing D.J. White to 10-day contract

With the arrival of a clearance letter from the Chinese Basketball Association on Wednesday, the Boston Celtics will sign free agent forward D.J. White to a 10-day contract, league sources told Yahoo Sports. White will likely be activated for the Celtics' Friday game against Golden State.

With the losses of Jared Sullinger (back surgery) and Jason Collins (trade) in the Celtics frontcourt, White could get an immediate chance to contribute. White played five seasons in the NBA, including 52 games in Charlotte a season ago. After going unsigned as a free agent last summer, he played the season for the Shanghai Sharks of the Chinese Basketball Association. Under an agreement with the NBA and FIBA, the NBA won't allow its teams to sign free agents until they've been cleared of contractual obligations overseas.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--celtics-signing-d-j--white-to-10-day-contract-205100757.html

Celtics Rumors: D.J. White Could Help Team's Interior Defense to Playoff Run   Dj_whi10

He's a brick-house
Mighty might just lettin' it all hang out
He's a brick-house
The dude's stacked and that's a fact,
ain't holding nothing back.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:46 pm

DJ White is now officially a Celtic. He worked out with the team in Waltham and did media interviews. He will be wearing #12, the closest he could come to single digits. Some excerpts:

I will pick my spots on offense, but my main focus is on rebounding and defense.

My experience in China was different than Terrence Williams. I was in Shanghai. He was in God knows where.

White says he chose the Celtics over “a couple” other teams. “I wanted to come here.”

bob
MY NOTE: T-Will played for the Guangdong Tigers. Guangdong is known as China's sex capital. Must have been hard for T-Will to keep his focus. Shanghai, on the other hand, is a great, world-class city. Love Shanghai. Gotta love White's answer as to why he is a Celtic, "I wanted to come here".

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 pm

A short video of DJ White practicing his jump shots. Looks like he likes the left side of the floor, perhaps with a pick-and-pop to the elbow...

http://twitter.yfrog.com/fvph9sqjnlwmrrofxptrlnssz

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm an IU fan and have always liked White. He's not spectacular at anything but he's very solid (yes, that's a double entendre) and he can push Bass as the beefy PF.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down