Six fouls and your gone. Why?

4 posters

Go down

Six fouls and your gone. Why? Empty Six fouls and your gone. Why?

Post by swish Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Football unlike Basketball does not have a FOUL OUT RULE for routine type fouls. I suspect that the pennalty structure in the NFL Is severe enough to make the removal of a player unnecessary. Perhaps its time to get rid of this archaic rule in basketball and put into force a pennalty that is harsh enough to assure that future fouls by a player with 6 or more foul will be quite painful.

Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Six fouls and your gone. Why? Empty Re: Six fouls and your gone. Why?

Post by Sam Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:49 am

Swish,

The instances of players collecting more than 6 fouls are extremely rare. Given a roster of 12 active players, the only way a player would still be on the floor after committing his sixth foul would be of he's at least the eighth player on his team to have committed the quota of six fouls.

However, if it's pain you want, I might suggest free throws AND a pulled fingernail for each foul over six.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:10 am

Sam

Its not all about fouling out. Also consider the time spent on the bench because of foul trouble. Its a totally unnecessary rule and one that could easily be corrected.

Swish

Last edited by swish on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:17 am

Swish,

I thought you were talking about penalties on players with 6 or more fouls on them. I thought you might have been referring to another thread (about Danny and Lebron) in which the conversation veered off onto situations on which everyone on the team has fouled out, leaving only five players; and, each time one of those last five commits his sixth (or greater) foul, he stays in the game but the other team shoots a technical.

It was in that thread that I used some "then and now" stats to come to the conclusion that it isn't necessarily the number of fouls that causes many of today's games to be so tedious. Teams in the 60s actually committed more fouls and shot more free throws (by a considerable margin) than today's teams, and yet the oldsters submitted what I consider a vastly more exciting game within a shorter time frame.

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you were saying. Maybe I'd understand it better if you'd suggest how whatever it is might easily be corrected.

Kind of an interesting topic, as long as it's not approached from the perspective of more ref bashing.

Thanks,

Sam.
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 pm

The six fouls rule originated in rural Springfield way back in the day when players guilty of misconduct were sent to the bench and required to hold a chicken by the legs for a certain period of time. Six chickens (fowls) was the most any player could hold at one time, and the number stuck after they discontinued use of chickens.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:49 pm

In the NFL, infractions are considered team infractions, whereas in the NBA, they are personal fouls. Many have wanted to eliminate the "six fouls and you are out" rule. The idea is people pay to see the stars so why eliminate them from the game. Not sure what other sanctions could be used. I mean a $500 fine won't get it with today's paydays. No one wants their team's players in foul trouble yet everyone want's the other teams players in trouble. What to do? Five fouls per half, ten total? Keep it as it is? eliminate the ejection?
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:52 pm

Simple solution. Foul commited by a player with 6 or more fouls. Fouled player shoots his foul shots. Fouled team retains possession of the ball.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down