Outside
tjmakz
mrkleen09
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jason Collins Comes Out Empty Jason Collins Comes Out

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:37 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/

Very happy to see that someone who is so well respected finally had the courage to come out. It may take a superstar or two to truly change the way people feel about gay men in sports - but this is a good start.

Well done Mr Collins.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Jason Collins Comes Out Empty Re: Jason Collins Comes Out

Post by tjmakz Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Yes, it's a good start, but there is a decent chance that Jason never plays another NBA game. The impact will be larger when a named player in the middle of his career comes out.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Good for him. I agree, it's a start. Or, perhaps more accurately, a good next step.

As a marginal player late in his career who is a free agent, he probably would've had only a few teams interested in him next season. It will be interesting to see if someone signs him.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Wow, that takes courage that anyone would have to be crazy not to recognize.

As a sidelight, I don't know if the article simply paraphrased him, but his word usage appears to be exceptional.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 pm

I would be surprised if a team didnt take a chance on him for next season.

Hell, there is no harm in the Celtics signing him as a 12th man again. For Vet minimum, you will find very few guys who are better in the locker room.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:41 pm

To paraphrase from JFK's book....his statement was

A " Profile In Courage"

Interesting to say the least. Should be no big deal anymore as Gay has become passe in the majority of American culture.

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 pm

thanx to the youngbloods much of this prejudice is disappearing rapidly. things will continue to improve, and just as in regular life, such things will simply be accepted with no comment and eventually, no comment will even be necessary.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:05 am

I take my hat off to Jason Collins.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 am

I wouldn't want to be Collins facing The Lord on Judgement Day. I doubt if Collins will have the courage.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:55 pm

MD, you're of course entitled to your opinion, but the segment of the population sharing your view is shrinking by the day. Homosexuality just isn't that big of a deal to my kids' generation, and they don't see any justification behind the institutionalized bias against gays and lesbians that forces many of them to deny their very nature in order to keep their jobs or get along in society.

A big part of reason why the younger generation feels that way is that more and more people like Jason Collins are courageous enough to acknowledge who they are. When you have experience interacting with people like Jason, you gain an understanding that they're just people, not some imagined bogeyman. By all accounts, Jason is an excellent teammate, leader, and locker room presence. He's the perfect type of person to break down old stereotypes.

You question the courage he'll show in the afterlife, but I'm inclined to think that he'll be more comfortable than ever to meet his maker now that he's comfortable (and courageous) enough to publicly acknowledge that he is as his maker made him.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Speaking of judgement day....last I checked only one has the power to judge - and it aint you MD
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Hey with the changing social view on being gay, and the push to legalize same sex marriages in Washington....I hope that the Mormon belief comes back into play again.......You know.......One Man....Multiple women!

On second thought.........that would be an expensive proposition for any man!

LOL 112288

Last edited by 112288 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Nice typo, 112288. Very funny on several levels!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 pm

DBrown,

I wish you had left my subliminal message quiet. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:45 pm

mrkleen:

Read thoroughly the New Testament book of Romans for a better perspective on homosexuality. Homosexuality was one of the main reasons for the downfall of the Roman Empire. God paired Adam with Eve, not Steve. The country's attitude toward this topic and Abortion (sanctioned murder) is along with the current administration a reason for this country's descent to 3rd world status.

MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:42 pm

I have been scanning all the sights for reaction by Boston players and the rest of the league. What I sense is polite but muted accolades. Not the warm fuzzy and pronounced kumbaya that Jason may have been expecting.

I am sure for many who know him, accepting the person (Jason) will be easier then accepting the life style he leads. As they say, time heals all ......I hope this is the case for all involved.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:38 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:mrkleen:

Read thoroughly the New Testament book of Romans for a better perspective on homosexuality. Homosexuality was one of the main reasons for the downfall of the Roman Empire. God paired Adam with Eve, not Steve. The country's attitude toward this topic and Abortion (sanctioned murder) is along with the current administration a reason for this country's descent to 3rd world status.

MD

I take offense at being dragged into this discussion.

Steve

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:54 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:mrkleen:

MD

Well, now that we cleared that up. Laughing
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed May 01, 2013 12:06 am

112288 wrote:I have been scanning all the sights for reaction by Boston players and the rest of the league. What I sense is polite but muted accolades. Not the warm fuzzy and pronounced kumbaya that Jason may have been expecting.

Not sure I agree Rich

“I think it’s very noble on his part, and I think it’s a strong thing to do, and I think as NBA players, we all offer him our support.” - Lebron James

“Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don’t suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others.” Kobe Bryant

“Wow this is amazing all smiles. So so happy Jason Collins came out & announce he was openly gay all support over here.” Kenneth Faried

“I don’t think he’s crossed the line in any way. I’m going to support him 100 percent and will encourage other guys to support him.” Jerry Stackhouse

“I thought we were past all this, but I said, ‘Great,’ I wish you could have gotten me more rebounds. Because at the end of the day, that’s all I really care about.” Doc Rivers

“ I think what he did is a great thing — to open the door for a number of athletes who are going to have the courage to come out.” Paul Pierce

“He’s a true professional on and off the court, and it takes a lot of courage to do what he did. But it’s just going to make the world a better place at the end of the day.” Jason Kidd

"I am so proud of my bro @jasoncollins34 for being real. #FTheHaters" Baron Davis

Great character from a great family! That's all that matters! @jasoncollins34 #respect Earl J Watson

The time has come. Maximum respect. Steve Nash

Jason is one of the best teammates that I’ve ever had. He was a great presence in the locker room and an even better person. Zaza Pachulia

We salute you, @jasoncollins34 for your courage and leadership. Any time you want to throw out a first pitch at Fenway Park, let us know. Boston Red Sox

Sounds pretty positive to me!!!
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed May 01, 2013 12:59 am

mrkleen,

I also found mostly positive support for his announcement.

Dozens of NBA players sent messages to Collins after the story was posted Monday, many doing so through social media. The support didn't stop there, with President Barack Obama also calling to offer his support.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/collins-says-support-coming-incredible-113002048.html

The news sparked a near-instant outpouring of support from a wide range of public figures including politicians, musicians, actors and, perhaps most notably, his peers in the sports world.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-support-collins-pours-sporting-world-184409305.html

Celtics coach Doc Rivers wishes Jason Collins had gotten more rebounds. Jeff Green liked the screens his former teammate set. Jason Terry would love to have Collins' toughness in the playoffs.

And they're all happy for Collins after he came out as gay.

None of the Celtics expressed concern Tuesday about having been on the same team as a gay player. They did care about what he did to help Boston win games and about how he might help other gay athletes.

''There are so many professional athletes, there are so many human beings that live a dark life, that are scared to expose it because of the exposure of sports and what people may think about them,'' Paul Pierce said. ''I think what he did was a great thing just to open the door for a number of athletes who probably now are going to have the courage to come out.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/celtics-players-happy-former-teammate-collins-172143802.html

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed May 01, 2013 1:56 am

Well, I think what Jason had in mind with his confession has begun here on this site...the beginning of an open discussion on the underlying topic of the recognition of homosexuals in profession sports.

I hope that we will respect all views and not become overly assertive/aggressive that one view is more correct or even right versus another, lest I would imagine Sam will block/lock/close the thread.

When you start right off with a polarizing biblical argument on this as has already above, yes the Bible is very clear on homosexuality and the consequences. What the Bible does not explicitly state is, to use a popular question posed a few years ago, "What Would Jesus Do?" He was peculiarly silent on this topic in his 3 year ministry so we are left to speculate and draw conclusions. But , if he were walking the earth today instead of 2000+ years ago, would He be hanging out with homosexuals like He did the tax collectors, prostitutes, etc seeking to save that which is lost? If so, what would He have said to/about them?

I must be getting old or something because I thought this issue was covered 35-40 years ago with Martina Navratalova. She was a female professional athlete who openly admitted she was gay. But nonetheless it is now back in the news again now with yet another professional athlete, on a team this time however with a friendly media that wishes to press the button again and see what happens.

Outside, MD knows that segment of the population is shrinking. He's ok with that to a degree. That's in the Bible also under Matthew 7:13-14. He's secure in the outcome of all this and what his role and mine going forward, for that matter, as a fellow Christian.

I'm afraid whatever lie Jason feels he has been living up until now and the subsequent pain he has been experiencing is mostly if not all self-inflicted. Homosexuality has been around well over 2000 years and has been present in humanity through all civilizations. Everyone is aware of it. It's not like as of a couple of days ago this is a huge surprise to end all surprises.

Now, if Jason claims no religious affiliation, he is perhaps oblivious to the Bible and what it proclaims and he is none the wiser. Has he made a statement about his religious orientation?

Jason will be getting enough tweets from genuinely loving concerned caring Christians more than anyone can imagine. The challenge is to offer our responses with love, gentleness, care and respect.

Do non-Christians and Christians alike still love Jason after this week? Absolutely! That's exactly what you are seeing in all the tweets coming out. No surprises there.

The reason society is becoming more welcoming to accepting homosexuality and same-sex marriage and abortion is because the church in general can't yet seem to put together the cogent argument or proper defense without coming across as a homophone or bigot. When you are only hearing one side to the argument, it sounds pretty good and convincing. The counter argument is out there, it's just being drowned out by a friendly press. Be assured as carefully and as skillfully as current society has presented its very convincing argument of late in favor of the above issues, the church with love, gentleness and respect has and will always have an equally if not more convincing response.

Now, with that said, we can move on to how this will/will not affect Jason and his teammates in the locker room/team chemistry, the rest of the league etc.

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed May 01, 2013 8:32 am

MrK/Gyso

Ok, I did not see those quotes, but I was referring to Celtic players. I know some supported him like Green/Pierce/Terry but did not see other team players speak out. Perhaps it is out there but they only selected top players for reaction. That is good. I though it was turning out to be a disaster for Collins.

The next step will be if he gets signed by a team. I know Ainge said that if they need help at center they would call him.

I do think that the Celtics will sign him and make a statement as their history has always been proactive on sensitive subjects like......first black player....first black pro coach. They have lead the way yet never received the credit/hype found in sports books/history books.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed May 01, 2013 8:35 am

If I am anything, it is a master of the one-liner. Can't tell a funny story or joke to save my life. I see you "corrected" it above. But it was still very funny, intended or not. That's what great humor is all about. Good work! Thanks for the laugh!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed May 01, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks dBrown...have a great day.

Before I sign off, the last line in my post......On second thought.........that would be an expensive proposition for any man!

The expense I was referring to is not the expense associated with the usual wine, dine, shopping & travel expenses women are accustom to........the expense I was thinking of was for my psychiatrist and hair colorist to eliminate all the gray from my hair!!!! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed May 01, 2013 9:28 am

MDCelticsFan wrote:I wouldn't want to be Collins facing The Lord on Judgement Day. I doubt if Collins will have the courage.

MD!

MD- I am with you brother. I believe you are courageous and a hero for coming out and showing what you believe in. Lots of christians have been persecuted because of it. Funny some responses here already have you as a judge. I guess if you believe in the bible then what we see these days explains why the entrance to heaven is a narrow road.

Hero, courageous, etc, belong to people that rush into burning buildings, help the sick, do something for others. Stating a sexual preference after years of deceiving people doesn't fit into that category for me.

Its pretty simple, you can believe it OK to be homesexual or can believe it to not be OK.

tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next