It's hard, but it's time to say goodbye

+3
NYCelt
Sam
7 posters

Go down

It's hard, but it's time to say goodbye Empty It's hard, but it's time to say goodbye

Post by 112288 Sat May 04, 2013 9:24 am

Pierce and KG deserve another shot at a title, but it's not happening in Boston

By Jackie MacMullan | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- They were what they've always been during the Big Three era: valiant, stubborn, proud, unrelenting.

The Boston Celtics have embraced that role with fervor, endearing themselves to us because of their grit, their resolve, their belief in one another.

There's only one problem: It no longer wins them championships, only our admiration in defeat.

Last season, with Ray Allen and a healthy Rajon Rondo in tow, they got within a tick of the NBA Finals before suffering a heartbreaking loss to a younger, deeper, more talented Miami Heat team.

For a brief moment in the fourth quarter, it seemed possible that Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce would will the Celtics to another incredible comeback.
This time, with Allen gone to swim with the fishes, Rondo shelved with a torn ACL and Kevin Garnett hampered by an array of excruciating injuries, Boston mounted one more inspired comeback and ripped off an astounding 20-0 fourth-quarter run in Friday night's Game 6, only to suffer a heartbreaking loss to a younger, deeper, more talented New York Knicks team on their own parquet.

Thus, it's the flawed Knickerbockers who advance to play the Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference semifinals on Sunday afternoon, while the Celtics go home in the first round of the postseason for the first time since KG arrived in 2007, wondering what changes are coming.

If this does, in fact, signify the end of the Paul Pierce era in Boston, then it transpired just as Red Auerbach so famously decreed many years ago.

The legendary Celtics patriarch said, "Nine out of 10 great players finish their careers ungraciously."

Pierce is a future Hall of Famer, one of the most prolific and celebrated Celtics ever. He has been a passionate and emotional captain, a perennial All-Star who hit some of the biggest shots of the New Big Three era. He has an NBA ring and a Finals MVP trophy to prove it.

Yet this season, he came to symbolize the slow, yet steady, demise of the core of this ballclub.

Pierce slogged through a nightmarish season finale in which he could not establish any rhythm, tempo or momentum. He missed 14 of the 18 shots he launched, drained just one of his nine three-pointers and turned the ball over five times. Throughout this series, New York's trapping pressure forced him into multiple miscues.

More on the Celtics

Keep on top of the Green throughout the season with ESPNBoston.com's Chris Forsberg. Blog

• Send Chris a question

It was, at times, uncomfortable to watch.

"I felt bad," coach Doc Rivers admitted. "You go through so many emotions [watching] on the floor.

"I'm down thinking about Paul's emotions out there, because [you know] this is not the game he wanted.

"We don't know how many more years we have left with them [Pierce and KG] in the league. You always want it to be perfect for them."

The Celtics have a myriad of decisions to make in the weeks ahead. It's clear they cannot continue as constituted, a fact both Rivers and Garnett acknowledged in their postgame assessments.

The Celtics are over the cap and will have to make some hard, cold decisions to change their fortune. The obvious target is Pierce, whom they can attempt to trade, buy out for $5 million, or assign the amnesty tag. Pierce has expressed a desire to stay in a Celtics uniform his entire career but conceded a few days ago that one way he might retire here is to return after a stint elsewhere, sign a one-day contract with Boston, then call it quits.

"A lot of emotions right now," a somber Pierce said following the game. "You have a lot of thoughts going through your head, what you could have done to keep the season going."

[+] Enlarge
Brian Babineau/NBAE/Getty Images
Paul Pierce couldn't get it going in Game 6, missing 14 of 18 shots and committing five turnovers.
Pierce was unwilling to speculate about next season, deflecting those questions to Celtics boss Danny Ainge.

There is, of course, the possibility the Celtics hang onto Pierce for part of the 2013-14 season, then deal him at the trading deadline when activity is at its peak. There is no question Pierce could be a valuable addition to a contending team that needs a scorer off the bench.

But the days of both Pierce and KG toiling 30-plus minutes a night need to end. They deserve better, and the Celtics need to move on.

The team's attempt at rebuilding on the fly produced mixed results. Injuries decimated the roster and forced the Celtics to scrap their plan of weaning the team off leaning on Pierce and Garnett as primary scorers.

While a nucleus of Rondo (providing he's able to start the season, which is not a guarantee), Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, Avery Bradley, Jason Terry and Brandon Bass has promise, the obvious void left by Pierce and KG would be cavernous should things unfold that way.

While Rivers made it clear he has no inkling what the plan is moving forward -- "Danny has already worked on stuff; he knows never to show me. I don't want to hear it, I don't want to see it, I don't want to know anything" -- he sounded reflective when discussing the two players who delivered his one and only NBA title.

"Listen," Rivers said, "we live in a day and time where guys are changing teams like socks. And Paul has chosen to stay here throughout his career, when he clearly had all rights to leave. And he chose to stay. So I have so much respect for him, for that."

Is it time for the Celtics to part ways with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett?

Yes
No

Rivers became emotional when discussing Garnett and the pain he endured while fighting off injuries to his ankles, his hip (a "minor" injury that was aggravated in Game 4) and at least one other undisclosed ailment.

"KG is the best," Rivers said. "Just the best. His knowledge is amazing. … He's what, 37? And he's still one of the best in the league.

"He's different. Different than any star I've ever been around. You can't take him for granted, and we never ever have."

Garnett reiterated Friday night his future might be tied to what the Celtics decide to do regarding Pierce. He said his coach pulled the two of them aside at the end of the game and "all three of us agreed to speak later. Too emotional."

Team sources said KG might undergo offseason surgery to shave down the bone spurs in his ankles, an operation that is not viewed as a major procedure. Two of his teammates privately speculated he is considering retirement.

"I have no clue," Doc admitted. "I was positive last year [he was coming back]. I'm not as sure this year."

The spirited finish of Game 6 might lead some to become sentimental about keeping the veterans intact next season, but the reality is more closely aligned with what happened through three quarters that left them down by as much as 26 points.

In the matter of the actual Game 6, it was almost over as soon as it started.

[+] Enlarge
Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE/Getty Images
Have we seen the last of Kevin Garnett in a Celtics uniform?
The Celtics resembled an older, fatigued basketball team that left a little too much on the court when they won Game 5 with a seven-man rotation.

The lone bright spot in the first half was the dinged-up, wire-thin KG, who attacked this game as if it was his last.

Boston trailed 32-16 with six minutes until halftime, and the combined shooting effort of their starters minus Garnett was -- are you ready for this? -- 1-for-19.

Seriously.

That kind of offensive ineptitude is beyond comprehension. So is scoring 27 points in two quarters of a professional basketball game. This might be a practical moment to revisit the impact of the absence of Rondo, but the Celtics' problems are far more complicated than that.

With the Knicks drilling 3-pointers at a 43 percent clip and once again punishing Boston on the offensive glass (a 15-5 edge there), the Celtics found themselves down 75-49 with 9½ minutes to play.

They were headed for a grim, joyless finish, but Bradley salvaged their pride -- and his own catastrophic postseason performance -- by finally submitting the whirling, frenetic, freewheeling defensive pressure that had defined him for much of the regular season.

It began with a perimeter jumper, one, Bradley said, that "gave me just a little bit of confidence," then continued with a steal and a layup, then another steal, then a drive to the hoop, and, all of a sudden, the Knicks were imploding and Boston was charging back.

Bradley's resurgence salvaged his psyche from what was an otherwise punishing series. He vowed to spend all summer in the gym working on his ballhandling and passing but not before he gave his surgically repaired shoulders, which he admitted in the aftermath of Game 6 have been bothering him, a little rest. He conceded there has been talk within the locker room about major changes next season.

"It's a weird feeling," he said. "Whatever happens, I wish everyone the best."

They deserve that. Each of them. Paul Pierce deserves a chance at one more ring. KG, too.

It won't happen here.

The window is finally -- and irrevocably -- shut.

Back to top Go down

It's hard, but it's time to say goodbye Empty Re: It's hard, but it's time to say goodbye

Post by Sam Sat May 04, 2013 11:20 am

In keeping with my policy of not making predictions, I won't predict what will happen with Pierce and KG. But, in terms of moving forward at the expense of some emotions and sentimentality, it can't be denied that parting with them (hopefully under conditions most favorable to them and to the Celtics) makes sense. And, IF that should happen, there
have been all sorts of quotes to the effect that, if one goes, the other also goes.

And, IF it should happen, odds are that, in fairness to all parties, it make sense for it to happen sooner rather than later in the summer.

And, IF it should happen, I believe there's one thing the Celtics could do that (1) would right a wrong and (2) would make it just a bit easier for everyone involved (including the fans) to
confront the emotions and sentiment squarely and in a cathartic manner.

I suggest that a special appreciation night be held (again, sooner rather than later) to honor both of these gentlemen and retire their numbers (again, sooner rather than later). I believe there should be no admission charge so as not to discriminate against attendance by anyone for financial reasons' but I would also encourage donations by attendees who can afford it, with proceeds going to the Boston One Fund.

I would not telecast the event live because that could cut into attendance; but I would record it to be shown on tv—perhaps shortly before the start of the season. Another option would be to make the recording available for sale, perhaps also benefiting the One Fund.

IF Paul and Keven have, indeed, played their last games for the Celtics (short of the possibility signing for one game to finish their careers in Boston), it would be ironic that they actually upstaged themselves in yesterday's sixth playoff game.

They and their teammates pulled off such an incredible comeback in the fourth quarter that people's attention was riveted to the excitement of the moment. When Paul and
Kevin exited, it was conceivable that they could have returned, given the volatility of the ongoing game. So applause was polite but not remotely approaching the outpouring of affection that they deserved. An appreciation night could leave these two Celtics giants with crescendos of cheers ringing in their ears, rather than with muted hissing of gas
escaping from a balloon of hope.

Without an signal event such as this, thousands of fans will be left with an unfulfilled need for serious emotional closure over the departure of (arguably) the two most beloved Celtics icons of the 21st century.

It's not as though this special type of recognition is unprecedented. The re-retirement of Bill Russell's number comes to mind. Which reminds me that, together, Paul and Kevin represent for contemporary fans the Bill Russell and Larry Bird of this era. I don't know precisely what rules the organization may have with respect to the timing of retirement of numbers. But I believe there has to be room for some flexibility with respect to a tradition that's ceremonial in nature.

I realize that, without proceeds from admissions, some expense would be attached to the event as I have outlined it. But I can't believe the organization, which has consistently demonstrated that it cares deeply about its players, would begrudge that outlay. Besides, it wouldn't count against the Salary Cap (a little humor there).

I'm curious about what the forum members think of this idea.

Thanks.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

It's hard, but it's time to say goodbye Empty Re: It's hard, but it's time to say goodbye

Post by 112288 Sat May 04, 2013 11:32 am

Sam,

It would be a classy ending to a fantastic era for 2 of the most beloved Celtics since Larry Bird. The idea of the proceeds going to the Boston 1 fund would also be a healing aid for those regretting the loss of PP & KG.

Why not do it during a preseason game in October? You could fill the place which is always half empty for a preseason game, have guarantee revenue from season ticket holders who are forced to pay for those games, and sell the rest to general public.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat May 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Sam,

Sounds like a good idea to follow up on something that needs to happen.

Although there is no official word, it seems writers with ties to the Celtics are fairly universal in expecting KG to retire. I don't think it's "un-Celtic" like in any way to suggest both he and Pierce should now become former Celtics. We need the contract money they tie up to work with and they are no longer viable parts to center a team around.

It wasn't just fun while it lasted, it was a royal joyride. It's just time to get on with it and looking at it realistically there's not much reason to bring them back. I suppose I would have to agree in principle if someone were to say loyalty is the reason, but those two understand as well as anyone, loyalty doesn't win ball games. Like other major level professional sports, an NBA franchise can't stay harnessed to players for emotional reasons.

A big retirement ceremony or celebration of KG and Pierce's career with the Celtics would be good for players and fans alike. It should also include Ray Allen.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat May 04, 2013 3:07 pm

I don't believe it would work to delay the appreciation.

1. I believe the emotion sentimentality and are best addresed a.s.a.p.

2. Pierce and/or KG might be with another team during the preseason.

3. Few preseason games are actually played in Boston. 2 of 8 this past preseason. The team gains revenue for home preseason games, and there's no reason to disrupt that revenue flow with a "freebie."

NYCelt,

My guess is that, although Ray should perhaps be included, that chapter has now been closed—whether for reasons of rancor on either side or just that it's old news. I'm not sure a retired number would be so universally supported in Ray's case, since he technically turned his back on the Celtics.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun May 05, 2013 11:26 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kevin-garnett-s-run-with-celtics-concludes-in-true-kg-fashion-063519274.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun May 05, 2013 12:09 pm

.....sad with a little luck, no injuries this team could have won 2 more titles and they were very deserving just off ability alone to have won at least one more. This team deserved multiple championships, they had that kind of raw ability.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun May 05, 2013 12:51 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:.....sad with a little luck, no injuries this team could have won 2 more titles and they were very deserving just off ability alone to have won at least one more. This team deserved multiple championships, they had that kind of raw ability.

Four of the past five seasons we tried to win a championship without one of our main guys - first is was KG, then Perk, last year Jeff Green and this year Rondo. I know virtually all teams have some sort of injuries come playoff time but that's ridiculous. And tragic.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun May 05, 2013 1:18 pm

steve

Danny saw where the league was going and knowing Pierces age and the level of superstar wings out there, he did righteous acquiring Jeff Green.....is there any doubt with this version of Jeff Green on last years team we get past Miami? I would have loved to seen this years team with a healthy Rondo and Sully, damn wasn't meant to be.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sun May 05, 2013 8:08 pm

KG and Pierce come back and do a Beckham signing for minimum wage (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/31/david-beckham-paris-saint-germain1), the money saved is used to aquire Howard and a backup PG.

KG mentors Howard and Pierce leads the bench (including KG) to being a killer force. The Celtics beat the Thunder in 6 in the Finals and KG and Pierce retire as Celtics Legends.

Not going to happen I know Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun May 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Cowen,

Yes, Green was a good pickup but not in a run for #18. You cannot take the heart of your front court and send one half away. If we had Perk we would have again been in the finals. There was time for a move like that, just not then.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 pm

The year Perk was traded, that team was title ready, doing the trade when we did ruined our chemistry and defense. Then last year look how we had Miami even without Green, if the refs do their job that series is over in 5, so if we had Green last year the way hes playing now, that series is even easier.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Cowans,

If and I say if the Celtics can restructure Pierce's salary to say 2 years at $20M and sign Blatche from the Nets to play full time center and have KG come off the bench for Blatche or Sully, I can live with that and satisfy any sentimental fans.

Get rid of Bass and pick up a shooting guard we could improve. Just not sure if Pierce is allowed to restructure. If not, pull the plug....but get Blatche. He played for $850,000 this season after being waived.......where the F was Ainge on that one!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun May 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Sam,

Not sure if doing a thing in the summer would attract attention...people would be into the Red Sox and the beach. But I could be wrong.

NO WAY WITH RAY ALLEN!

He does not deserve to have his number retired as you stated, he turned his back on the green!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun May 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Sam and 112288,

The thing on Ray is, although he may have left, no Ray no banner # 17.

Ray Allen will forever be linked to Pierce, KG, and this most recent era of Celtic excellence.

When the story of the '07-'08 through '11-'12 Celtics is told and re-told in the future it will always include Ray Allen. Just like Bird, McHale and Parish it will always be Pierce, KG and Allen.

Celtic fans will eventually realize Ray heading to Miami was, essentially, just business to Ray. Nothing wrong with figuring if you were going to come off the bench anyway, you might as well get a title out of it for your Hall of Fame bio. As far as a number in the rafters, if KG gets there, so does Ray. Of course, you could also make the case that neither was here long enough and that the net result was a single title. It is hard to justify one without the other.

Ray's part of the legend. I'm just saying you might as well invite him to the party.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun May 05, 2013 11:55 pm

112288 wrote:Cowans,

If and I say if the Celtics can restructure Pierce's salary to say 2 years at $20M and sign Blatche from the Nets to play full time center and have KG come off the bench for Blatche or Sully, I can live with that and satisfy any sentimental fans.

Get rid of Bass and pick up a shooting guard we could improve. Just not sure if Pierce is allowed to restructure. If not, pull the plug....but get Blatche. He played for $850,000 this season after being waived.......where the F was Ainge on that one!

Blatche is not a starting center in this league. And he's only a back-up center for short minutes. Blatche is a power forward.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon May 06, 2013 12:30 am

NY,

Gotta disagree. Ray Allen may have contributed offense to the Celtic overall game, but he did not change the culture of the team as KG did. KG changed the mindset of the team and its players and did not take bull crap from any one player. Remember when he had Big Baby crying on the bench or when he physically confronted a young Rondo and set him straight.

If Allen was here from the beginning and pumped in all his 20,000 + points as a Celtic over 8-10 + years........ok now we are talking retirement of a number. He was here for a brief shining moment, that is it!

He left KG & PP holding the bag for petty bull crap with Ainge and Doc. He did not want to come off the bench...he wanted to start........If he left to get more money or to start on Miami .....ok......he had a right....but he left for less money and a bench position with the enemy! As far as I am concerned I hope he breaks his leg!

There were other notable Celtics that made contributions but did not have their numbers retired and

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon May 06, 2013 12:43 am

Steve,

Blatche is both PF and C. He can play both positions. He is tough dude something the Celtics need dearly. Nothing wrong with Sully occasionally switching to C and Blatche moving to PF and visa versa then throw in KG switching back and forth from C to PF. His numbers were very respectable this year and if he worked with KG and coached under Doc...he could become an impact player.

Besides, who would you rather of had this year........ Darko or Blanche........

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 am

NYCelt,

I seriously doubt that the logic of including Ray would trump the fact that he left after such rancorous cirumstances. Max contributed to more championships in more ways than Ray did and wasn't able to sniff the retirement of his number for many years.

I don't believe the Celtics would consider risking a ceremony honoring KG and Paul being tainted by controversy over whether Ray belongs. I actually have never blamed him for wanting to leave, considering the circumstances. I get a kick out of the hackneyed phrase that pro basketball is just a business because people usually skip over the fact that—like it or not—it's just as much a business for the player as for the team.

For all the good things about his Celtics legacy, his lasting image probably will always at least somewhat of a bitter taste.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon May 06, 2013 1:52 pm

OK; no love for Ray here except from me!

Tough crowd...

I'm certainly in the minority on my appraisal but that's OK, I get a kick out of being the dissenting vote. Makes me feel like a real rebel and I've gotten to the point in life where I need that thrill!

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon May 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Ray who?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon May 06, 2013 4:41 pm

NY

Rebel with a cause!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon May 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Yeah, my real wild side!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down