INTERESTING INSIGHT ON WHAT TO DO WITH PIERCE

Go down

INTERESTING INSIGHT ON WHAT TO DO WITH PIERCE Empty INTERESTING INSIGHT ON WHAT TO DO WITH PIERCE

Post by 112288 Fri May 10, 2013 11:54 pm

REDS ARMY

UNLESS THEY STRUCTURE A VERY FRIENDLY - IN THE CELTICS FAVOR - RESTRUCTURE WITH PIERCE - HE'S A GONNER.

Paul’s been one of the greatest Celtics of all time and that will play a part in it” and “ I think that Paul still has a lot of basketball left in him” together and it seems like Danny might be willing to deal with the money this year if Pierce signs a very team-friendly “end your career here’ type of extension.

Trying to figure out what Danny is going to do is more dizzying than Vizzini trying to choose a glass of wine. And like that classic Princess Bride scene, both cups in front of Danny are poisoned. He’s either going to cut Pierce and be the villain with no loyalty, or he’s going to keep Pierce and be the sentimental fool with too much loyalty.

I know on Monday I said I was leaning towards the Celtics bringing Pierce back. And there are certainly merits for doing so. But I’m also slowly figuring out that if the Celtics are going to make any moves with any other guys, they might have little choice but to cut Pierce. Ainge has put the Celtics into a position where they’re over the tax line AND over the apron.

If he brings everybody back, the Celtics will only have the taxpayer mid-level exception to use, which is $3.183 million instead of $5.150 million. Plus, he’ll have to pay a draft pick, which will be somewhere north of a million dollars. With the C’s already at $76 million, just the pick and a mid-level guy would put their payroll up over $80 million. If they get $10 million over the tax line, they’d then get taxed at a rate of $2.50 for every dollar they are over…. which means a $25 million dollar tax bill.

I don’t know about you, but I think there’s zero chance in hell the Celtics will pay $105 million in total for a roster next year that features mostly the same crew from this past season, plus a mediocre player and a rookie.

It’s hard to know what Danny is going to do. He says he expects Garnett back. Garnett has said his future will be heavily influenced by Pierce. I can try as best I can to piece evidence together that shows the Celtics moving in a certain direction, but only Ainge has the full picture in his head. Only Ainge knows ALL of the possibilities, including what his coach and ownership group are willing to stomach.

There’s no doubt about what KG brings to the table. We spent all season talking about how much worse the Celtics were with him off the floor. And Paul Pierce showed flashes of brilliance as well. Unfortunately, we’re left with the taste of that Knicks series in our mouths.

51 days until a decision has to be made.

Back to top Go down