worcester
dbrown4
22 posters

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

The Rest of the Playoffs - Page 2 Empty Re: The Rest of the Playoffs

Post by gyso Wed May 15, 2013 6:42 am

Meet Knicks fans’ least favorite great new Twitter account: @DidJRSmithMiss

http://kr3.conduit.global.media.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/meet-knicks-fans-least-favorite-twitter-account-didjrsmithmiss-015002803.html

New York Knicks shooting guard J.R. Smith checked into Game 4 against the Indiana Pacers with 7:11 remaining in the first quarter. Sixty seconds later, the struggling Sixth Man of the Year took his first shot of the night, a 27-foot 3-pointer. As has been the case with most of his other shots in this series — and, really, since he elbowed Jason Terry in the chin — he missed.

Moments later, this appeared on Twitter:

Did JR Smith Miss?
@DidJRSmithMiss

Yes.

Please use the link to see the rest.

How'd J.R. finish up?

Did JR Smith Miss?
@DidJRSmithMiss

Recap: yes, yes, yes, yes, no, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, yes, yes, no, yes, yes, no, no, yes, no, yes, no.

That works out to 19 points on 7 for 22 from the floor, though 12 came on 5 for 10 shooting in an all-over-but-the-shoutin' fourth quarter. Better than he's been, but not nearly good enough for the Knicks.

One last stat: The account's first tweet came at 7:18 p.m. EDT Tuesday. As of 9:48 p.m. EDT, it had 1,981 followers. Who says all the good social media ideas are taken?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed May 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Cowens,

I AGREE ...IT STARTS WITH BEING TALL IN THE #4 & 5 POSITION! I have had enough of the undersized player in key critical positions, namely PF & C or Doc and Danny's idea of going small..........4 guards and a center.......we had our ASS' handed to us each and every time we've gone small. Why....the other team would get 2 & 3rd chances to score.

When we had that 3 year run we were big...KG at 7' and Perk, a wide body at 6'10"....we controlled the paint not only for rebounds but also took guys out who attempted to score down low by cutting to the paint.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed May 15, 2013 7:56 pm

I'd have to say Memphis and Indiana are the best teams suited to beat MIA... The Heat don't like physical, grinding out games; they'd prefer to run and score a lot, something that MEM and IND are decent at putting a halt to.

k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed May 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Well, maybe I am now shoveling dirt too soon on CHI...at least through 3.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed May 15, 2013 9:20 pm

OK, resume shoveling...
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed May 15, 2013 9:41 pm

"Bring out your dead!!......(Tink)......Bring out your dead!!......(Tink)"

"Anyone? Anyone? Something "D" "O" "O" Economics?"

Two classic movies.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 pm

OK, no Holy Grail or Back to School fans out there tonight.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Dbrown,

As I recall, there was some feeling between Larry Bird and the then-owner(s) of the team when he left. Others may have clearer recall.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed May 15, 2013 11:22 pm

But I guess no one in the new leadership is reaching out to him either. I know it's a longshot because there just aren't that many jobs in upper management available in the NBA, and he's clearly happy with the Pacers.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed May 15, 2013 11:43 pm

dbrown4 wrote:OK, no Holy Grail or Back to School fans out there tonight.
Arthur; "Your arm's off!"

Black Knight; "No it isn't."

Arthur; "What's that then?"

Black Knight; "I've had worse."

Last edited by NYCelt on Wed May 15, 2013 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed May 15, 2013 11:55 pm

112288 wrote:Cowens,

I AGREE ...IT STARTS WITH BEING TALL IN THE #4 & 5 POSITION! I have had enough of the undersized player in key critical positions, namely PF & C or Doc and Danny's idea of going small..........4 guards and a center.......we had our ASS' handed to us each and every time we've gone small. Why....the other team would get 2 & 3rd chances to score.

When we had that 3 year run we were big...KG at 7' and Perk, a wide body at 6'10"....we controlled the paint not only for rebounds but also took guys out who attempted to score down low by cutting to the paint.

true 112288 that defense for as long as Perk and KG were together was always in the top 2 every year, that team actually won with defense more than offense as we were historically good and just had brutal stretches of shutting teams down and it all started in the paint, those 2 guys could cover for each other in that paint in a way that was far superior to say Perk and Ibaka. KG deserves credit as hes still been a defensive demon even without Perk, with him on the floor we still had a top defense, but hes a 30 minute a game player now and those days are long gone.....but it was really intense and great while it lasted.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 16, 2013 12:08 am

dbrown4 wrote:OK, no Holy Grail or Back to School fans out there tonight.

And of course, for The Bulls...

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 16, 2013 1:16 am

Watching the refs in the NBA playoffs is PAINFUL. Without having a horse in the race, I am just struck by how awful they are both ways.

First off, what the hell is a clear path foul and what idiot at the league office instituted this rule? Clearly it was simply so people could watch the "stars" dunk more often....but in practice, it is simply an excuse for the 3 blind mice to take prolonged breaks to review every possible angle on a foul call 5 or 10 times a game.

If you steal the ball from me and I can grab you before you "get away" - then it should be a regular foul. Period. That is basketball 101.

Then you have another JOKE of a rule change....the flopping rule, which is never called. Seriously you have Lebron James pretending to get hit in the face by Nate Robinson and that JOKER Steve Kerr says, well he never hit James - but good play by Lebron to put the pressure on the refs. LOL

Honestly, I can see why my friends who watch baseball and hockey dont like the NBA. There is literally no flow to the last 2 minutes of a game with all the replay reviews, touch fouls and other stupid rules.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu May 16, 2013 1:38 am

Perk had a ROUGH time in the five games against the Griz. Shot a beyond awful 4 for 23. TOTALLED 6 points and 8 rebounds in the last three games. And he's got $18.6 million guaranteed the next two seasons. I loved him as a Celtic but he's not earning his money now.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu May 16, 2013 7:51 am

Thanks for the laughs and memories NYCelt, so here's one for you. Quite possible one of the funniest scenes in movie history!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Fj5k6toS7i8

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 16, 2013 8:04 am

steve3344 wrote:Perk had a ROUGH time in the five games against the Griz. Shot a beyond awful 4 for 23. TOTALLED 6 points and 8 rebounds in the last three games. And he's got $18.6 million guaranteed the next two seasons. I loved him as a Celtic but he's not earning his money now.

as bad as he was, his teams defense really struggled with Collison in or Ibaka and Durant as the 4 covering Gasol, another example of smallball not working.....on another note I've never seen Tony Allen play better both ends. Even when he was with us, I thought he should be starting, with Ray coming off the bench.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu May 16, 2013 8:11 am

Sorry, I didn't know how to drop the stupid ad before the scene!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu May 16, 2013 8:23 am

Just did a youtube loop of Kinison. OMG, he's still gut-wrenchingly hilarious 30 years later. What a great comedic talent. Unfortuantely, Like a Jimi Hendricks or Janis Joplin, they left the world way too early. Glad he's recorded!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu May 16, 2013 8:28 am

Sorry, KD, Perk and the rest of the OKC characters. You learned the lesson all the rest of us did without one of our star players learn in the playoffs...No title for you. It just doesn't work. Never has, never will.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu May 16, 2013 9:44 am

Mr K.

Ditto. The Ref's and the NBA have hit a new low. The Robinson/James call...I was screaming at those 2 idiots on TV that it was just a foul....nothing more.

Yet they are trying to build it up as a F Foul......idiots! The whole thing with the ref's ...the TV personnel.......and the crowd is like a 3 ring circus!

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu May 16, 2013 10:22 am

The refs didn't institute the Clear Path rule. They only enforce the rule.
The refs didn't change the Flagrant Foul rule. They review fouls that are possibly flagrant fouls. They made the right call that Nate's was not a flagrant foul. If you think it's easy to determine how much contact was made to a head in real time speed, it is not easy.

Video replay has been great for the league.
It helps the referees to make the correct calls whether that is a foul/flagrant call or an out of bounds posession call.
Making the correct call is what is important.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 16, 2013 11:39 am

dbrown4 wrote:Just did a youtube loop of Kinison. OMG, he's still gut-wrenchingly hilarious 30 years later. What a great comedic talent. Unfortuantely, Like a Jimi Hendricks or Janis Joplin, they left the world way too early. Glad he's recorded!

Kinison was unique. Take the obvious but unspoken and scream how ludicrous it is at the top of your lungs.

One of my favorites from him was his take on the old USA for Africa and multi-pop star "We are the world" recording. I loved his point about how dumb it was to send money and food to the Sahara region. "Send U-Hauls..." "We'll take you to where the food is." "You live in a desert, there's no food here." "See this, it's sand." "Know what it's going to be in 100 years? Sand!" "Nothing grows here!" "You live in a desert!"

This is one of his originals; (Edit...language not suitable for work/small kids/talking bird varieties, etc.)

Last edited by NYCelt on Thu May 16, 2013 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 16, 2013 11:45 am

dbrown4 wrote:Sorry, KD, Perk and the rest of the OKC characters. You learned the lesson all the rest of us did without one of our star players learn in the playoffs...No title for you. It just doesn't work. Never has, never will.

db

And back to basketball...

True. Subtract one Westbrook, just like we subtracted one KG or one Rondo, and it's back to being a few bricks shy of a load. An offense or defense incorporating the unique skills of a player like Westbrook can't just slide a replacement in, nor can you make a wholescale change due to that new player.

It may have been easier to compensate for injuries in an earlier era with fewer teams and deeper roster talent. With expansion to the current league size in the NBA and other pro enterprises, one injury to a key starter or sub and the trophy most often goes elsewhere.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu May 16, 2013 7:30 pm

NYCelt,

That was a great snippet above for Kinison.

You mention an interesting point re: expansion and its effects. The NBA now will never admit they could drop a few teams and make the game infinitely better. It just doesn't send a very good message. Now they are reduced to moving existing franchises around the country because no one wants to take a loss or do a liquidation or de-franchise. As long as there is demand and someone willing to take a risk, that will continue. I know I can get Sam to put down his mint-flavored floss just for a minute and jump in on this in that I think he is a proponent of contraction to a degree along with myself. (Sorry, Sam, the visual of the whole flossing thing is really hilarious!!)

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu May 16, 2013 8:56 pm

KD just made numerous interesting comments in the ESPN article below:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9283573/kevin-durant-oklahoma-city-thunder-says-ever-wasted-year

It throws a random Kobe comment on the extreme opposite side to set the tone for the article which is probably similar to many of ours on here, but I like KD's answer. It comes from someone who is still in pursuit of his 1st championship. Our perspective comes from the other side of abundance. Now many Celtic fans profess this attitude, but do we really believe it? KD's passion and love of the game and thirst for a championship is refreshing, infectious and contagious. We should consider ourselves so ridiculously fortunate to have the 17 titles we possess and adopt a little (maybe a lot) of the desperation of KD's tone that jumps off the page of the article.

The quicker all players and fans realize how extremely rare and difficult it is to win even 1 championship in their career, the better off the league, the players and fans will be. Great article.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next