NYCelt
k_j_88
9 posters

Go down

ADIEU UBUNTU: DOC RIVERS RUNS DRY Empty ADIEU UBUNTU: DOC RIVERS RUNS DRY

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:56 pm

WEEI

BEN ROHRBACH

What is the last image of the Doc Rivers era in Boston? (AP)

The man who brought Ubuntu to Boston just drove a stake through its heart.

In a way, Doc Rivers still epitomizes the philosophy -- "I am what I am because of who we all are" -- since the Celtics shaped him into a coach worthy of an unprotected Clippers first-round draft pick just as much as he molded them on the way to their most recent NBA title.

When Rivers arrived in 2004, he brought a Coach of the Year honor and a .500 record, including a 1-10 start the previous year that led to his ousting from Orlando. He leaves as one of the game’s elite coaches, hauling a Larry O’Brien trophy and a winning ledger in tow.

In between, Celtics president Danny Ainge stood beside his friend through a new franchise low of 18 consecutive losses, and they rewarded the organization with its 17th banner.

Rivers raised Paul Pierce from petulant prima donna to Celtics legend, feuded with Rajon Rondo, earned Kevin Garnett’s trust and chastised Ray Allen, all the while serving as a father figure to everyone from Al Jefferson to Jason Collins. Hell, he even threw a cupcake party.

So, when Rivers signed a five-year, $35 million contract, he seemed destined to join Red Auerbach and Tommy Heinsohn in finishing his coaching career on Boston’s bench. Doc’s declaration, “I am a Celtic,” sparked an ad campaign that included the lines, “I am not Hollywood,” and, “I am not a passenger on a bandwagon,” as his words echoed behind.

Two years later, Doc has gone Hollywood, steering his bandwagon West. This from a man who in 1992 hung up on the Hawks GM when he was traded to the Clippers as a player, walked out of training camp over a contract dispute and “begged” for a trade to the Knicks.

Why is Rivers leaving a team full of “people that you enjoy working with” to accept the same job for an owner in Donald Sterling that has repeatedly faced charges of racism? Plain and simple: The Clippers offer a better opportunity for him to win another championship.

We’ve already heard spin that Rivers never planned to coach the rebuilding C’s, that Ainge initiated the coach’s stumbling exit to L.A., that the two worked together landing a pick that begins the overhaul and that Doc was really willing to coach the team again this season.

Truth is, if Doc Rivers wanted to be coaching the Boston Celtics next season, he would be. Whether he or Ainge pushed the contract to five years, Rivers put his name to paper knowing full well Pierce, Garnett and Allen wouldn’t be on the 2015-16 roster.

For all we know, Rondo played a role in half that group leaving town, but even that wouldn’t explain Doc’s remarks when Allen joined the Heat: “I was really disappointed, pissed, because I thought it was for all the wrong reasons. It was more about himself.”

Whatever their reasoning, Doc’s departure is worse. Allen left as a free agent, and he sure as hell didn’t try to take Garnett with him. Now, you wonder if KG has lost Doc’s number, too.

Most everything you hear about Rivers outside of basketball is true. He’ll still take former players out to dinner, offer a friendly smile -- even after a difficult loss -- when a stranger crosses his path and balance the demands of an NBA coaching job with those of a father to four children, although it remains to be seen if Sterling will allow any Orlando trips to catch some of his son Spencer’s senior basketball season at Winter Park (Fla.) High.

No matter how good of a man he is off the court, Rivers didn’t want to be on the floor for the C’s next season, so pull a Fab Melo and walk into the doorframe on your way out of town.

The Celtics landed an unprotected No. 1 draft pick for a coach who no longer wanted to be here, saving $21 million in the process. Not a bad haul, and Ainge still holds Garnett and Pierce as potential trade chips for his next deal in this rebuilding phase.

Even Glen Davis earned a video tribute, so Glenn Rivers warrants the same and then some for bringing an end to a 22-year title drought, including a standing ovation as the image of red Gatorade splashing on one of his finely tailored suits flashes on the Jumbotron.

But when Doc’s name is called before the only Clippers game in Boston next season, he’ll deserve every boo that comes from a Garden crowd he has often called the NBA’s best.

And Celtics Nation should hope he reverts to the sub-.500 coach he was before the summer of 2007, when Ainge laid the foundation for the latest Big Three era and Ubuntu was born.

Back to top Go down

ADIEU UBUNTU: DOC RIVERS RUNS DRY Empty Re: ADIEU UBUNTU: DOC RIVERS RUNS DRY

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:41 pm

I'd have to disagree with the Clippers presenting a better chance at the title. Getting through the West to the finals is the same as going through a meat grinder.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:31 pm

KJ

It is no walk in the park and the Clippers are not closer then they were last year.

It will be interesting to see the Clippers players fit into Doc's style.......It will be interesting to see how the owner takes a losing streak as well............Doc had a good owner in Wyc...........sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side...........maybe black and blue!

Last edited by 112288 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Has it always been that whenever someone leaves The Celtics they're automatically a traitor?

Is it true of The Red Sox, Bruins and Patriots as well?

I've been a Celtic fan longer than many here have been able to walk, but until this type of electronic forum gave fans everywhere access to each other I didn't have that much contact with those in and around the Boston area.

I've not seen this from fans of other teams in pro sports; not even close to the degree you see it with Celtic fans.

Ray goes to The Heat; we all lose his phone number, so to speak.  When he's here he's praised as the highest class player in the league, but that changes the moment he picks another spot where he might win a title, even though his contract here was done and he was going to be sitting here without a shot at a title and playing behind Avery Bradley. Why not play behind Dwyane Wade and win one?.  Now Doc goes.  He doesn't fulfill his contract, and that's a growing problem in sports that he isn't helping, but he wasn't the guy for the next phase of this franchise so it's not going to hurt us.  When he was here he was going to be close to Red's stature by the time he was done.  On the first day he's gone, apparently he wasn't much of a coach anyway.

I'd even say many of the newspaper and online columnists come across as juvenile.  It's kind of like having your high school crush move on; undying love professed one day, but you really weren't into them that much the next, and their new sweetheart is going to be miserable, or so you tell anyone who will listen.

I also don't get the need for a scapegoat, as if everyone that leaves needed to be pushed.  Rondo's currently spinning into various categories including best point guard, genius hoops wunderkind, greatest guy on the team, worst guy on the team, best defender at his position and worst defender at his position.  We're building around him and we're trading him tomorrow.  He's responsible for the terrible smog in Beijing, which is why Doc is leaving and Ray left because Rondo wouldn't lend him a stick of gum.

I'm not directing this at any one individual here or elsewhere, but rather questioning it as an attitude with The Celtics fan base in general.

So someone who understands, please explain it to this life-long Celtics fan who doesn't get it.

What's the deal?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:31 pm

NY CELT

I hear you but I do not think people are looking at scape goats so much as they are bringing to light the obvious from the past.

1) Numerous sources had Rondo on the trading block for the past 2 years............so if there is smoke there is fire.  Why would these rumors start in the first place.............a great point guard.......favorable contract in today's money...........Ainge even said he field all calls to see if he can make the team better and Rondo's call was fielded........fielded and leaked......are you kidding me.............would Red ever chance doing that with Larry Bird? I think it was Danny's way of sending a message to Rondo.

2) We know now that Rondo had some altercation with Doc ...this year...last year....2 years ago........who knows when....but he had one.

3) We all know......that KG slapped Rondo in the head and grabbed his throat on TV and was pissed off at him during a game......4 years ago when Rondo was not a great point guard...........ya gotta ask why did KG do that?

4) Doc lost his temper at Rondo last year in a game in MIL against the Bucks during a time out ..............which they lost............it was the first time I saw Doc lose his COOL!

5) Rondo was the so called Ring Leader for the younger Celtics, in calling a team meeting 4 (?) years ago with the veteran players in which Doc told Rondo that it would not turn out good..............it did not.

6) It was also rumored that RA moved on and one of the reasons for doing so was he could no longer play with Rondo.

So .........ya .......Rondo is bringing some attention to himself as a possible problem. Is he the only problem..............no...........but he is in the mix as possibly motivating Doc to look elsewhere for coaching......possibly.

Is Danny using Rondo as a way of bringing Josh Smith to the Celtics........as they are friends and played on the same school team..........maybe.

One thing Danny is ....he is smart ...crafty.........and dumb as a fox.......if you think you are out smarting him.......he'll pick your pocket quicker then you can say Doc!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:37 pm

NY Celt -

If you dont see this with fans of other teams - you must not be looking too hard.  

Brett Favre comes back to Lambeau in a Vikings shirt ring any bells?

It all comes down to HOW a player left.

When Ray Bourque requested a trade to play in Colorado, the Bruins were going nowhere and the team and fans were happy to see him get a chance to play for the cup.  Ray Bourque is a hero to this day in this town.  

Same with Pedro Martinez. He won a title here, signed with the Mets and now gets standing ovations everytime he jogs onto the field at Fenway.  Jonathan Papelbon got lots of cheers, as he was beating the Sox on back to back nights this season.

Celtics fans always cheer for Glen Davis, Tony Allen, James Posey, hell even Eddie House who went back to play for Miami - got STANDING OVATIONS in the Garden.

It is less about who left - and more about HOW they left.

Ray Allen, for example - got more money and a longer contract offer from the Celtics - yet left to go to Miami.  Then, had the nerve to say the fans in Boston should be mad at the team leadership, not him for leaving.  I guess he got what he wanted....another ring.  In the meantime, he forever tarnished his legacy in Boston.  Selfish, self centered and self diluted never sits well in Boston.  

As for the Doc situation - I still dont know what actually happened here, and DA was pretty coy about it in the press conference today.  

If Doc came to his friend Danny and his friend Wyc and said - I am too old to be part of a rebuild and I would like to explore other opportunities for next year.  I would have no problem with what he did.

He found an offer he wanted to pursue, and the Celtics didnt fight him on the move.  Doc was a great coach, a tireless worker and they dont win in 2008 without him.  He does not undo all that by talking to his employer and asking about the possibility of leaving.

Your suggestion that Boston fans treat departing players as "traitors" couldn't be further from reality.  We treat most departing players with respect and cheer them.  

Boos are saved for a select few egotistical jerks who flaunt their departure by throwing it in the fans faces and not just choosing to leave, but choosing to pick a Boston teams closest rival to stick it to the city and team they just left - see Johnny Damon, Roger Clemens, and unfortunately Ray Allen.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:57 pm

Doc did a great job during the 12 playoff run, but this year his coaching really disappointed me, he was terrible in the playoffs, I questioned his every move....I don't mind him leaving. Clippers didn't really gain anything, is he gonna make Blake Griffin or Jordan any better? we'll see.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:59 pm

MrKleen,

But I'm talking specifically about The Celtics; I only posed the question is it true of other local teams because it's clearly not.

As a local, you're probably the perfect person to answer this for me.

Ray Allen may be a great example.  What did he do or say that caused such torment for Celtics fans?  Saying the team should be mad at team leadership for leaving just sounds like a guy who was mad he had become a second option at his position.  Not exactly something new.  Not a ton of athletes who play at the level Ray has take that one well, even when it's clearly time.  His contract was done and he owed us nothing.  He actually delivered more than we bargained for by playing defense like he never did before in helping deliver a title.

Davis got traded, so he had to leave, Tony Allen got a lot more than we were going to give him and at the time he left and was already facing sharp criticism for his offensive shortcomings, Posey was about done (actually was done, though we fans didn't realize it), wanted too much money and we didn't want to bring him back and House was done and widely downgraded by fans because he wasn't the true point-guard we needed. All different circumstances than Doc or Ray.

Ray Bourque is another good example.  He wanted out because The Bruins were going to be out of it for the foreseeable future and fans were happy for him to have the chance to pursue a title.  The same can be said for Ray and Doc.  They were on a team that looks like it is going to be out of contention for a while and wanted to go somewhere they can win.

Other than the fact we're talking Celtics rather than Bruins fans, why aren't Ray and Doc treated similar to Bourque given a desire to leave to pursue a similar goal?

I would even ask is it possible it's something recent that's happened to Boston Celtics fans out of disappointment over the relatively short-lived return to top tier status?

Boston fans in general, like the people who populate that city, seem to be genuine and down-to-earth, pulling for those athletes who make the effort for them.

I'm thinking it's not Boston fans, it's Boston Celtics fans, and that's the point of my question.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 am

NY Celt

I gave you a number of examples of players who left the Celtics and came back to be cheered - you keep sticking with a disproved premise that this is a phenomenon that is unique to Boston Celtics fans. That is simply not true.

You have no idea how Doc will be treated, nor do you have any idea the full details of the story. Before we go and lump Ray Allen and Doc Rivers into the same category, lets wait till the results are in on Doc.

As for Ray, my distinction is that he left a team that was 12 minutes away from going to the NBA Finals - to take LESS MONEY and LESS MINUTES - to spite the Celtics for not kissing his ass.

He didnt leave a sinking ship like Ray Bourque. He didnt leave for a much better contract like Tony Allen. He didnt even leave after a disaster of a season like Jonathan Papelbon. He left a team that was right in the thick of contention, and a player or two away from winning - for petty reasons.

He acted like a spoiled little girl in crying about Danny not courting him first, and in subsequent interviews - went as far as to kiss Lebron's ass, "thanking him for welcoming him to the winning side"

Boston is town build on a blue collar commitment to hard work...and Ray was the poster child for both when he was here. However, the second half of that was Ray portraying himself as part of the Celtics mystique. He had endless interviews staring up at the banners - talking about the history and legacy with the Celtics. He was finally home, in a place where his talents were appreciated and rewarded. Where his son had the best medical care in the world. Blah, blah, blah.

At the first sign of adversity - he bolted, not just for a better deal and increased playing time (like Tony Allen). But to team who payed him less and played him less, simply to win another ring. He is nothing but an egotistical front runner.

Boston dislikes front runners to our core. We are the guy who you can count on. The guy who sticks by his friends and goes home with the girl he brought to the dance. We are not distracted by shinny new things - we stick to long proven routes and respect those who pack a lunch every day and show up early and leave late.

Ray Allen is a millionaire who made his bed, and now has to lay in it. Tough Shit.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:48 am

Doc gave us 110% for 9 years but didn't want to go through another rebuild.  KG gave Minny 110% for 10 years and then asked for a trade because he didn't want to go through another rebuild.  Do they boo KG in Minny?  No.

9 years.  9 years.

Doc didn't come to the Celtics back in 2003 because we were a front-runner.  Hell, for the previous decade and more we were Rosie Ruiz, and he still came and this is AFTER he won COY.

I think it's unfair to look at Doc's unwillingness to do another rebuild and just completely ignore the fact that he already did one.

Doc is saying that he's losing his influence with players.  To me, that says Rondo.  Pierce knows that Doc elevated his game and KG would run through walls for Doc.  So, who would he be talking about?  JET?  Possibly, since JET didn't adapt to his role of playing point off the bench well, playing better only when he realized he had to shoot more.  Other than JET, who, besides our petulant oft-immature point guard? We're going to blame Doc because Rondo is hard to coach, by his own admission?

9 years.  9 years.

Something changed.  I wish I knew what it was, it was something, but that shouldn't wipe away 9 years of devotion and a championship.  He changed the culture in Boston back to what it needed to be to be a winner and I, for one, am not ungrateful.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:31 am

Kleen,

I think you and I are looking at two different things here, or perhaps I'm not capable of getting your point. I don't think we're looking at this at all the same, which is OK. Differing opinions. Having met you and knowing the quality type of person you are I think we can say we're on different ends of this debate and go onto another.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:37 am

I think it's a little premature to say the Clippers aren't any closer to a title than they were last season. Really, what team is? With no trades or free agent signings yet, we don't know the end result of the Clippers roster.

There are rumors of Bledsoe being traded to Orlando for Afflalo. Of course, other players would be involved. Afflalo and Doc would make the Clippers better than last years team. They have a very good bench with Crawford, Barnes, etc. I think they will have a pretty easy time enticing players to sign there this summer once Chris Paul re-signs.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:37 am

NYCelt wrote:Kleen,

I think you and I are looking at two different things here, or perhaps I'm not capable of getting your point.  I don't think we're looking at this at all the same, which is OK.  Differing opinions.  Having met you and knowing the quality type of person you are I think we can say we're on different ends of this debate and go onto another.

Regards

Appreciate that....same for you, and your son is a real gem of a kid....so I know that comes from having a great Dad to guide him.

You dont have to agree with my point of view, nor clearly - do I speak of all Celtics fans. Just wanted to explain how I see Ray as a fairly unique case (similar to Johnny Damon) - and why I believe that Boston sports fans also see him in a different light.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 am

Bob,

You may recall KG didn't really want to leave Minny; Glen Taylor had to convince him it would be better for him and the team if he went.  There was also KG's widely publicized quote before a C's game in Minny the although he loved going back to the fans there, he had nothing positive to say about the franchise.  Not dis-similar to Ray Allen's comments.  And you're right that they don't boo him there at all.

I do get your thinking but I don't trace this back to Rondo.  Nothing I've read, but just reasoning by looking at the situation.  If the problem is Rondo, and Rondo is our most valuable asset as a player, then why not trade him?  Why, if you have  agood working relationship between a proven coach and an assertive GM would you not choose to keep the coach, and give him a start on a roster he can deal with?  Why would you keep an uncoachable player, just so you can risk losing the next coach too?  Makes no sense to me that the reason for Doc to depart at this time is Rondo.

If we're rebuilding anyway, which is what we're doing by any other name, why wouldn't we remove the problem if that problem could bring us back another significant asset in trade and allow us to keep a coach we want?

Could be I'm missing something, however.

Regards

Last edited by NYCelt on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Kleen,

Fair enough, and upon re-reading your posts I think I get your thoughts better.  I'll especially buy the Johnny Damon example because he went to the Evil Empire, whom neither of us can stand, and that would be a turn-off to a Sox fan.  Thanks for the compliment on Michael (my wife's the good influence; I'm mainly his baseball coach), although to make you really sick, I'm taking him down to NY next week for a game at the stadium so he can see his favorite team; The Evil Empire.  At least it's against my Orioles (go ahead Sox fans, laugh.  A little more pitching and we'll be coming up right behind you.)

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:30 pm

NYCelt wrote:Bob,

You may recall KG didn't really want to leave Minny; Glen Taylor had to convince him it would be better for him and the team if he went.  There was also KG's widely publicized quote before a C's game in Minny the although he loved going back to the fans there, he had nothing positive to say about the franchise.  Not dis-similar to Ray Allen's comments.  And you're right that they don't boo him there at all.

I do get your thinking but I don't trace this back to Rondo.  Nothing I've read, but just reasoning by looking at the situation.  If the problem is Rondo, and Rondo is our most valuable asset as a player, then why not trade him?  Why, if you have  agood working relationship between a proven coach and an assertive GM would you not choose to keep the coach, and give him a start on a roster he can deal with?  Why would you keep an uncoachable player, just so you can risk losing the next coach too?  Makes no sense to me that the reason for Doc to depart at this time is Rondo.

If we're rebuilding anyway, which is what we're doing by any other name, why wouldn't we remove the problem if that problem could bring us back another significant asset in trade and allow us to keep a coach we want?

Could be I'm missing something, however.

Regards

NYCelt,

Actually, I don't remember KG's leaving Minny that way.  The way I remember it is that the team decided they were going into "rebuild" mode and KG decided he didn't want that.  At that point in his career he wanted a ring and, if you remember, turned down an offer from Danny to come to Boston when all Danny had to offer, as far as support goes, was Pierce.  Once Ray was added, then he "saw the light".  That's different from "we'd really appreciate it if you left".  The reason why KG is still loved in Minny is because he didn't bad mouth anybody (yes, I know that's not the same thing as saying good things) and because he gave them the best 10 years of his career, gave 110% without reservation for those 10 years and gave them the best 10 years that franchise has ever had.  They didn't win a championship but it was still good and they appreciated KG's central role in it.  In short, it was great while it lasted, but all good things come to an end and they understood that.  Even KG, who loathes change, understood it.  It was time to go.  Furthermore, Adrian W is reporting that KG may play one more season and then retire, joining his old coach Flip Saunders in the T-Wolves front office.  Doesn't sound like he's harboring much of a grudge, and KG made damn sure that every player who laughed at him when he was at 60% coming back from knee surgery got punished, so he DOES hold grudges.

There has been a lot written about how Rondo is in the middle of all this.  How much you believe is something else.  Danny Ainge, for example, admitted that Doc went at Rondo in the locker room like Chris Sheridan reported, but that it was 2 years ago.  Maybe that wound never healed.  Maybe they learned to live/work with each other but Rondo is so head strong he blew Doc off one time too many.

Why not trade Rondo?  What kind of a trade do you get for a player of his talent who is that far below a max contract and still feel like you're getting value in return?  If one thing is clear from all this, Danny WILL pull the trigger on trades but he doesn't see the Celtics as a charity.  You want something, you gotta give him something he likes otherwise pound sand.  Still, I understand what you're saying.  Who is the bigger draw, Doc or Rondo?  I'd have said Doc, but will Doc play 53 minutes in a playoff OT game against Miami and score 44 points, have 10 assists, only 3 TOs and 8 rebounds?  Will Doc play with one arm dangling at his side?  That was cyborg Rondo.  No wonder Kobe Bryant, who scoffs at anybody who thinks they are at his level, loves Rondo.  He's his type of player.  Even though I've been bitching about Rondo's personality and impact in the locker room, there's no doubting his impact, quantitatively and emotionally, on the floor.

I think it boiled down to who threw his cards in first.  It was Doc.  He had had enough.  Have you ever had a job that burned you out?  If you have, and I have, you know just how hard it is to recharge your engines without a major change.  That doesn't mean you're going into another line of work, it means you just can't do this anymore, at least not here.  "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more" works only so many times (unless you're Henry V) before it gets old.  Eventually, the body is there but the spirit is unwilling.  You get the 1000 yard stare.  You saddle up and do your job but you're counting the days.  Doc, after 9 very emotional years, was done.  Danny tried to revive him, "putting the paddles on him" so to speak, but at long last you could stick a fork into him.  

Other than freaks like Pop and Sloan in Utah, name me a coach that lasts 9 years with one organization?  Doc had his rebuild, first thing coming in.  The man restored us, he gave us #17.  We got to see Bill Russell embrace KG like his son, promise him one of his rings if he didn't earn one of his own and we got to see KG almost start crying with the offer and we got to hear KG say that "he lives green and will die green" and that was because of Doc.  We got to see Paul Pierce grow from being a great player to being a great leader and that was because he followed Doc (after a stormy beginning).  We saw Ubuntu, which filled us with Celtic Pride.  We owe Doc, not the other way around.

I'm being obtuse.  I'm not buying into the "jilted lover" pitch.  It was good for as long as it was good and, when it was time, it ended.  We got a non-protected 1st round pick for him, salary relief (technically it doesn't go against the cap, but it might make Wyc more willing to pay the luxury tax for the right players because he now has a few more coins in his pocket) and we got Doc tormenting Lakers fans in their own house for years to come.  I'm good with this.

In fact, next year's draft is supposedly excellent.  Tanking for a year, in part because you don't have a coach of Doc's caliber at the helm, might work out really nicely for us next June.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:34 pm

First of all, KG did not leave Minn to play for a rival team. Also, he gave his all there for 10+ years. Minn wasn't close to winning the title, and their organization respected KG greatly for everything he'd done there. They wanted to find a good place for him so he could win a ring.

Second, do I think Doc is traitorous? Well, to be honest, I can't say for sure I actually think that way or not. I just feel like the way he went through this process didn't make logical sense. Why sign for 5 years if you know you don't want to be there for the rebuild? Why not just sign a two-year deal instead? Also, why imply you need a break from coaching but will willingly go to coach another team the very next season? If Doc wanted out, he should have just stated so like this a while ago: "I've enjoyed my time here in Boston. I love the team, the fans, the culture. I just feel like it's the right time to move on. I wish nothing but the best for the organization" etc. It's not the fact that he left, its how he let things drag on for so long. This situation doesn't make Rivers look good.

Last, Ray leaving to make less money playing for a rival team was the big deal. Sure, he had his reasons for leaving, but it doesn't change the fact that he went to the Heat. He is now the opponent and ought to be treated as such. I don't hate Ray for leaving, but I feel no reason to root for him.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:20 pm

k_j_88 wrote:First of all, KG did not leave Minn to play for a rival team. Also, he gave his all there for 10+ years. Minn wasn't close to winning the title, and their organization respected KG greatly for everything he'd done there. They wanted to find a good place for him so he could win a ring.

Second, do I think Doc is traitorous? Well, to be honest, I can't say for sure I actually think that way or not. I just feel like the way he went through this process didn't make logical sense. Why sign for 5 years if you know you don't want to be there for the rebuild? Why not just sign a two-year deal instead? Also, why imply you need a break from coaching but will willingly go to coach another team the very next season? If Doc wanted out, he should have just stated so like this a while ago: "I've enjoyed my time here in Boston. I love the team, the fans, the culture. I just feel like it's the right time to move on. I wish nothing but the best for the organization" etc. It's not the fact that he left, its how he let things drag on for so long. This situation doesn't make Rivers look good.

Last, Ray leaving to make less money playing for a rival team was the big deal. Sure, he had his reasons for leaving, but it doesn't change the fact that he went to the Heat. He is now the opponent and ought to be treated as such. I don't hate Ray for leaving, but I feel no reason to root for him.

kj,

Doc's not going to a rival team, so I'm assuming that your first sentence is referring to Ray. Or maybe you were referring to NYCelt's claim that KG left on bad terms with Minny is not the way you remember it, I'm not sure.

Why sign for 5 years? Perhaps because that's a long damn contract for a coach and provides significant financial benefits to Doc's family. Perhaps because it would encourage older yet valuable players like KG to sign a 3 year deal and not a 2 year deal and younger players like Jeff Green to sign a 4 year deal (which, with 3 years left on it coincidentally expires the same year Doc's would have. Or is it coincidence?).

As far as Doc dragging it on, it's true he didn't jump right out of the playoffs and into "trade me" mode. He took his time, got the bad taste out of his mouth and thought about it for a while. Maybe too long, but it wasn't a knee jerk decision neither. Once he revealed his ambiguity to Danny, it started to turn. In the past, Danny has been as silent as the grave if a deal was going down, but this time it's all over the front page. Why the change? I can't say for sure, but I try to look at the differences between this deal and every other deal and the only thing I can come up with is that we're dealing with Donald Sterling's amateurish organization and they had a naked desire to make Chris Paul happy by any and all means necessary. That means more people know about it and why not take a little pressure off themselves by looking like they're doing whatever it takes to keep Paul? In the end, that's what happened, isn't it?

Why say he wanted a break from coaching but would also go into broadcasting? Why didn't he say "I love it here, but I want out"? Maybe because he didn't want this to be a buyer's market? "Oooh, Danny needs to move Doc and he needs to do it now before the draft, let's lowball him and maybe he'll bite". By making the bidding war was between coaching here, somewhere else and broadcasting there was no fire sale by Danny? If you want Doc, you have to pay for him or wait 3 years. If not, I'll let him go to the booth and I still won't have to pay him because he's not on my bench anymore but he's not yours either.

At this point, it doesn't matter, it's done. He's gone and we have an unprotected 1st rounder in 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if that pick along with something/someone gets us a better position in next year's draft. If that happens I won't mind this dragging out at all since the end will justify the means and all this dissonance will be forgotten.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Bob,

Yes, the first part was in reference to Ray and the fact that I didn't feel KG left Minn on bad terms.

And as far as the contract thing goes, what good are the potential financial benefits if the contractual obligations aren't fulfilled? Sure, he'll get his money anyway with LAC, but my point was, he left with 3 years still on the table. He should have just done it as a two-year extension and he would have been off the hook and able to avoid the brunt of any fiasco like what has taken place recently.

In either case, you're right that it is done with and I feel this move was for the best and hopefully that pick will be a good player.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Bob,

I'm not laying claim that KG left Minny spewing venom in the press; I'm saying his actual quote upon later retuning with the Celtics was that he had "nothing positive to say about the organization."  That statement is open for interpretation, but I don't take it as warm and fuzzy.  He did make glowing statements about the fans.  You can search anything online, perhaps one of us can look, but I recall that Glen Taylor had to sell KG that it was time and that it was Taylor that originally proposed the idea.  Interesting enough, when he finally felt it was indeed time to move on, KG had a very limited list as to where.  Boston, as you pointed out, was not on that list.

Like you, I am grateful to Doc with no hard feelings.  If he was thinking it was enough, then it was enough.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:55 pm

I think Rondo's more valuable than Doc (who's apparently worth a late first-round pick) and perhaps in his arguing with Doc, if that's what he did, was right about who should be playing and what they should be doing. I have found myself arguing with Doc repeatedly about overplaying the vets and yanking the rookies and sophomores too early, and for all Doc's good points, I am thankful he moved on. Rondo, Green, Sully, Bradley - not a bad start, so if we can parlay Pierce and KG into an aggressive young center, I think we can begin to look forward, not back. Go Celtics! (If could also be that DA's lamenting Doc's departure is a masterstroke of PR, or part of the agreement, in this aspect of what is, after all, a business. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:39 am

This stuff is just common sense!. Why sign for five years and not for two? Because that set a structure that ensured he'd be getting at least $7 million from some team in years 3, 4 and 5—whether or not it was the Celtics.

• Because it was always possible that lightning could strike, guys like 'Green, Rondo, Wilcox and Barbosa might not have gotten injured, and the Celtics might have fared much better than they did in years 1 and 2 of the contract—thereby giving a completely different outlook for the 2012-13 season.

• Because the long-term nature of the contract offered some feeling of stability (not a guarantee, just some reassurance) so Pierce and KG would stay with the club and other veterans (Wilcox, Terry, Lee, Barbosa) would sign with the club.

• Because he was sick of a string of one-year contracts and wanted longer-term security. And people seem to forget that he went through a similar decision process last year and opted to stay.

It's not a matter of huge intrigue. Dr. Phil needn't infiltrate the NBA. Human beings made human decisions for human reasons. The entire affair was handled within a spirit of reasonable cooperation within the organization and (so far at least) so that no asset was lost with no return.

There can be justifiable debate about whether it was time for Doc to leave anyway. For example, although I liked Doc a lot for many reasons, I was never wild about the team's offense; and I notice that Alvin Gentry is being signed by the Clippers to be the Associate Head Coach with Doc and to run the offense.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down