2 posters

Go down

Al Jefferson Wants $15 million/year Empty Al Jefferson Wants $15 million/year

Post by k_j_88 Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:42 am

Al Jefferson seeking 4-year deal in excess of $60 million, according to report
By Jason Patt on Jul 3 2013, 10:35p @Bulls_Jay 1
STAY CONNECTED WITH SB NATION      
USA TODAY Sports
Al Jefferson wants a four-year deal starting at about $15 million per season, and the Bobcats have been in hot pursuit.

Utah Jazz free agent Al Jefferson is looking for a four-year deal in excess of $60 million, according to ESPN's Chris Broussard.

The Charlotte Bobcats are in hot pursuit of Jefferson, and Broussard reports that the 28-year-old big man spent the last day and a half with them. However, Jefferson may wait until Dwight Howard makes his decision, because he's hoping that the Dallas Mavericks will make an offer if Howard doesn't choose the Mavs as his destination.

More: Bobcats blog Rufus on Fire on pursuit of Jefferson
Jefferson was productive for the Jazz last year, averaging 17.8 points and 9.2 rebounds. Jefferson has consistently provided low-post scoring and solid rebounding over the course of his career, but his problem lies on defense. For all the points that Jefferson scores, he often gives them right back on the other end.

Because of Jefferson's defensive woes, paying him $15 million a year over the next four years could be a risky proposition, though that is the same salary he earned last year as a member of the Jazz. It would be also be an odd signing for a Bobcats team that could be better served by having a chance at a top pick in the loaded 2014 NBA Draft rather than being just good enough to be mediocre.

Furthermore, the Bobcats have Bismack Biyombo and the recently drafted Cody Zeller in place up front, so letting them develop may be a better course of action.

My Take: $15 million a year for Big Al is a bit steep for a non 20/10 guy. And his shortcomings on defense hurt his value to a small extent. Not to mention it's $3 million more than Rondo while Rondo is clearly the most integral part of the team. I could see paying him closer to the $10-12 mil/year range. According to this report, apparently Jefferson is willing to join a team clinging to the bottom rung of the league if they pay him what he wants. But players that truly want to win have to realize that if they go to a contender, the money won't be as high for everyone, but the pursuit of titles is the predominant motivation, as opposed to money. I was hoping Boston would pursue him but they may have to go another route to addressing the 5 spot.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Al Jefferson Wants $15 million/year Empty Re: Al Jefferson Wants $15 million/year

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Now it's looking like Big Al is going to get a 3 year $41M contract with Charlotte.  $13.7M/year.  Not bad for a player that only plays one side of the ball.

So, Charlotte now has Bismack Biyombo (I love that name.  I'm going to say it again slowly and with rolling thunder like an arena announcer.  Biiiismaaaack Biyahhhmmmbohhhh!!), Cody Zeller and Big Al Jefferson.  

That's a lot of bigs.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down