+2
gyso
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

AK 47 Signs with Nets Empty AK 47 Signs with Nets

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:48 am

2 years, $3.1M mini-exemption/year.

What a roster they're going to have. They are pulling out all the stops.

Watch out Miami.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

AK 47 Signs with Nets Empty Re: AK 47 Signs with Nets

Post by gyso Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:33 am

He opted out of a $10.2M contract to take this contract (or so I read this morning). Yikes!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-nets-sign-andrei-000136878--nba.html

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Hmmm.

A little suspicious to be honest, russian player, russian owner. Supposedly he opted out of the 10.2M because he wanted more years/security.

I would guess he is getting something on the side in Russia or that his family is..
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:35 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:Hmmm.

A little suspicious to be honest, russian player, russian owner. Supposedly he opted out of the 10.2M because he wanted more years/security.

I would guess he is getting something on the side in Russia or that his family is..

swede,

With cynicism like that, I'm surprised you don't have a little russian in you yourself. :-) Russians are one of the only people I will not drink with. Not because I don't like them but because I've never seen people hold their liquor like russians. They'd put me under the table before the hors d'oevres are finished. I found out the hard way once and once is all the lesson I need. I've watched them do that to other people many times too, so it wasn't just my russians.

Maybe his family gets to stay out of the gulag?  Or gets free protection from the Russian Mafia (if the stories are true, then all Prokhorov will have to do to protect them from the Mafia is to leave them alone)?

Gotta say, if these are true, it certainly is an imaginative way for Prokhorov to get around the NBA salary cap.  Sign an international player for the minimum and set their family up to live like kings and queens in their old country.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:40 pm

If there are no rules in place to stop it I do not see why not. And if there are rules and they cant be enforced then I do not see why not.

I do not find it cynical as much as realistic to be honest. He gets to go to a winning team and possibly have his future set in Russia. Could be anything really, promises of a civil job, maybe a coaching gig in his russian team.

and I am not russian, I am finnish. We have dealt with Russians enough to know their business. It is like they said in some towns in eastern finland, they drove food across the border to the russians. "When the Russian is hungry he eats.". Meaning either we give them food or he comes and takes the food.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:55 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:If there are no rules in place to stop it I do not see why not. And if there are rules and they cant be enforced then I do not see why not.

I do not find it cynical as much as realistic to be honest. He gets to go to a winning team and possibly have his future set in Russia. Could be anything really, promises of a civil job, maybe a coaching gig in his russian team.

and I am not russian, I am finnish. We have dealt with Russians enough to know their business. It is like they said in some towns in eastern finland, they drove food across the border to the russians. "When the Russian is hungry he eats.". Meaning either we give them food or he comes and takes the food.

swede,

Yes, Finns have a long history with the Russians, as do the Poles.

Aren't neighbors great?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:13 pm

For me it is all good no matter what is behind it. It is not like the Celtics are likely to compete this year or next year anyway and to be honest I like the trade more if Pierce and KG ends up with another one or two rings because of it.

swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:07 pm

The Nets will be LOADED....looking strong
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:03 am

Nets have 4 7 footers ready to go, if you think KG did alot for Perk, wait till you see what he does for Lopez and the rest of that frontline. His plus/minus last year on the floor was still all NBA level and that was with midget Bass for crying out loud!!! and no Rondo. They've got Blanche, Plumlee and Reggie Mule Evans to further ground and pound. Now with AK 47 backing Pierce, they will be set vs Lebron and Melo....Deron Williams must think hes in hoop bliss finally!!! I would love to see KG and Pierce get another ring and deny Wade and Lebron.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:06 am

Cow, It's very rare for me to root for a team in the Celts own Division, but this year, besides the Celts, I'll be rooting heartily for the Nets. If they win an NBA championship with three of our guys, we might consider it banner # 17.5.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:25 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets--deal-with-andrei-kirilenko-raises-suspicions-from-nba-rivals-180604173.html

Brooklyn Nets' deal with Andrei Kirilenko raises suspicions from NBA rivals
21 hours ago

The rest of the NBA had resigned itself to billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov's relentless pursuit of players and playoff success, absorbing it all until the Brooklyn Nets are pushing an unprecedented $185 million in payroll and punitive taxes. From Deron Williams to Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce to Joe Johnson, these Nets embody the spirit of the Russian's imperialistic vision.

Andrei Kirilenko opted out of a contract that would have paid him $10 million with the Timberwolves this season. …
Prokhorov had come to conquer the NBA, constructing a basketball arena in the borough of Brooklyn and empowering general manager Billy King to transform a barren roster into a championship contender. The Nets were destined to gather talent in this kind of boldly belligerent way, big names and bigger contracts stacked to the stars. From $101 million in salary to $82 million in luxury tax, Brooklyn has introduced itself as one of the biggest targets in the history of the NBA.

Only this time, the rest of the NBA believes the Nets have gone too far, delivering the league into an unfiltered rage. The signing of Russian free agent Andrei Kirilenko – a $10 million-a-year player last season – for Brooklyn's $3.1 mini-midlevel exception has transformed rival owners and front office executives into an angry mob of disbelievers.

The insinuations are unmistakable: Around the NBA, there are calls for the commissioner's office to investigate the possibilities of side deals and Russian rubles ruling the day – for now, unfounded charges based on circumstance and appearances.

Within the NBA, there had long been those promising that deals would start popping up involving Prokhorov that made no fiscal sense, theorizing that high-end players could take less within the constraints of the salary cap and still make up the difference in clandestine pacts.

Once the Russian billionaire convinced a superb Russian player to take $7 million less to be a backup to Pierce, the rest of the NBA's reaction was instant and uproarious. For the first time now, the Nets have truly arrived as a contending franchise. They're good, with a chance to be great, and the rest of the NBA wants an investigation.

"Brazen," one Western Conference GM told Yahoo! Sports.

Mikhail Prokhorov has shown little concern for the NBA's hefty luxury-tax penalties. (USA Today Sports)

"Let's see if the league has any credibility," one NBA owner told Yahoo! Sports. "It's not about stopping it. It's about punishing them if they're doing it."

Another Eastern Conference GM: "There should be a probe. How obvious is it?"

The telephone calls and text messages kept coming on Thursday night and Friday morning, and the reason was simple: Few trust Prokhorov to honor the NBA's salary-cap rules and regulations. He made his $15 billion fortune in the wild 1990s in Russia in what he called, "cowboy territory with no sheriff." Bribes were part of the business culture, and Prokhorov confessed to his part in it.

It is easy to make the accusations, but harder to prove that Prokhorov and his management did anything but a solid sales job after the free-agent market had dried up on Kirilenko. When it comes to uninhibited spending and free-agent coups, the modern NBA has a long list of targets. Understand something else, too: Plenty of American-born owners, running respected franchises, have come under these suspicions, too. Charges of side deals didn't start with Prokhorov and won't end with him.

Nevertheless, this is the second time there's been questions about the Nets' signing of a foreign free agent below market value.

A year ago, Brooklyn agreed on a full midlevel-exception deal with Euro forward Mirza Teletovic on a three-year, $15.7 million contract. Shortly after the agreement, Brooklyn realized it needed to alter the exception slot to still keep open the chance for cutting a trade for Dwight Howard. Without re-entering the market, Teletovic accepted a three-year, $9 million deal at the mini midlevel.

Part of all this is the mystery surrounding Prokhorov, the distrust that comes with how he amassed his fortune, and his bold predictions of an NBA title within five years of purchasing the franchise.

When the Boston Celtics made the Kevin Garnett deal to make themselves championship contenders, everyone accused Minnesota Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale of preferential treatment of the Celtics and their general manager, Danny Ainge, in the deal. When Pat Riley brought LeBron James and Chris Bosh together for discounts on max contracts, there were cries of collusion.

Nets officials will privately tell you they understand these suspicions were inevitable – even if they believe the suspicions are misguided and misinformed. Nevertheless, Kirilenko has long been a target of Prokhorov, the highest-profile Russian star in the NBA and forever an object of the owner's desire. The Nets were discussing deals to back up Pierce with the pedestrian Alan Anderson until discussions with Kirilenko became more serious in the past several days.

Kirilenko wanted a three-year deal with a minimum of $8 million per season, front-office executives said. Several teams, including the San Antonio Spurs, pursued Kirilenko with sign-and-trade discussions with Minnesota only nothing could get done. Kirilenko has history with Deron Williams, the Nets star. They played together for five years in Utah. Most of all, Kirilenko has history with Prokhorov. The billionaire owned CSKA Moscow, and Kirilenko played for him there, too.

The Nets pursued Kyle Korver with its $3.1 million exception to start free agency, but he re-signed with Atlanta. Eventually, Kirilenko and the Nets were left shopping, and a deal was consummated on Thursday.

Brooklyn gets a strong, athletic defender to pursue James and Dwyane Wade in the playoffs, one more willing passer and scorer. For the Nets, too, they get the scorn of the sport now. Everyone can suggest it was easy to construct this roster with no financial limitations, but, rest assured, everyone couldn't have done what Prokhorov and King have done with these Nets – whatever everyone thinks. Brooklyn has arrived with suspicions and charges and jealousies, arrived in unmistakable and unprecedented noise.

Here are the Nets now: From Russia, with loathe.

bob
MY NOTE:  I love the uplifted nose and sniff of outrage from the owner who said "let's see if the league has any credibility".  Where has he been?  Time to wake up and smell the vodka.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:33 am

Dont see how this is any different than Pat Riley colluding with Bosh and James to play in Miami - while they were still under contract.

Shady stuff happens all the time in the NBA.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:37 pm

worcester wrote:Cow, It's very rare for me to root for a team in the Celts own Division, but this year, besides the Celts, I'll be rooting heartily for the Nets. If they win an NBA championship with three of our guys, we might consider it banner # 17.5.

worse if this team can stay healthy, sky is the limit, KG and Pierce won't be needed to play 30 plus minutes every night, they could be very fresh by playoffs despite their age. With all the veterans and Kidd directing the offense, the ball will move, KG will get everyone to buy into the defense....this is gonna be exciting.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Yep. Sure will be a fun team to watch...except when the play Boston.

I relish the thought of Paul and Kg beating the Heat in the playoffs.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down