Paul George?

5 posters

Go down

Paul George? Empty Paul George?

Post by k_j_88 Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Why the Boston Celtics Should Sign Paul George in 2014
Yahoo! Contributor Network
By Mark Evans | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 1 hour 2 minutes ago

COMMENTARY | With the most of the 2013 NBA offseason over, people are already looking ahead to next offseason.
The list of star players who can become free agents runs deep, and includes LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Paul George, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, and Rudy Gay. Although several of these players have options that could keep them with their current teams, next summer should be a fun one.
After their blockbuster deal with the Brooklyn Nets, the Boston Celtics have hit the reset button and are preparing to enter what appears to be a rebuilding season. For better or worse, Rajon Rondo is the face of the franchise, and Danny Ainge seems content with that at the moment. Next summer, that could change.

For the first time in a while, the Celtics could be players in free agency. Since acquiring Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen in trades, the team has primarily only looked for role players every summer. Boston is a team with plenty of needs looking forward, and free agency is one way to address those needs. As some franchises have found out the hard way, it can be very tough to rebuild exclusively through good drafting. Not everyone can be the Oklahoma City Thunder.

There is zero chance that the Celtics will have a real shot at most of the free agents previously listed, such as LeBron James and Kobe Bryant. Although he very well might stay long-term with the Indiana Pacers, Danny Ainge and the Celtics should pursue Paul George.

George would be a huge upgrade over Avery Bradley in every aspect, and he could be a deadly wing threat with Rondo running the show. He has proven to be a much better offensive player than Bradley, and his added height and length gives him the ability to guard more players. George has quite the defensive reputation of his own, and the Celtics would not miss a beat on either end of the floor by replacing Bradley with him.

With George, Boston would be able to start Rondo, George, and Jeff Green at point guard, shooting guard, and small forward, respectively, a lineup that could cause serious problems for plenty of teams. A combination of Green and George would give opposing wing scorers nightmares, as both are very versatile and capable defenders. Additionally, both would be terrific transition weapons for Rondo. New coach Brad Stevens would be thrilled with the options that George and Green could present, as both can play multiple positions. It would be tough to find many teams that Rondo, Green, and George could not match up with.

Unfortunately, this may not be a very real possibility for Boston. The Pacers seem ready to make another serious run at a championship as George prepares to enter his prime. Indiana gave the Miami Heat all they could handle for the second year in a row, and look to be stronger next year with Danny Granger returning from injury and Luis Scola and Chris Copeland joining the team. Paul George is a huge part of Indiana's future, and it will most likely do whatever it takes to keep him.

Regardless, the Celtics should make a run at the young swingman. He could be a great fit on the wing for Boston, and would surely speed up the rebuilding process. It's just tough seeing him leaving a title contender for a team that might be good in a year or two. But it's worth a shot, right?

--

My Take: I won't lie, I am a Paul George fan. He's definitely one of the premier young players in this league. But I think Indiana would end up re-signing him anyway. But I do love Bradley's tenacity and defensive skills. Also, he is not a burden on the salary cap.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Paul George? Empty Re: Paul George?

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Not a chance, not a chance.

I'd love to have him, subject to what we'd have to give up to get him, but not a chance, not a chance.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Paul George will most likely stay a Pacer.

Paul grew up in LA and was a big Lakers fan as a kid.
They could offer him a max contract next season.
I don't think Boston has any chance at signing him.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Paul George needs to dominate the ball to be effective. Not sure he is a good fit with Rondo anyway.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:49 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Paul George needs to dominate the ball to be effective.  Not sure he is a good fit with Rondo anyway.

Eh... I don't know about that. George Hill and DJ Augustine aren't great PGs. I think he'd benefit from having a great PG.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:35 pm

The author is kinda dumb.

First, George is a 6' 8" Small forward and there is no indication that he can play shooting guard.

Secondly, the pacers will have enough space to ink him to a long term contract particularly if they do not re-sign Danny Granger.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down