Jared Sullinger on injured Boston Celtics teammate Rajon Rondo: 'Hopefully he'll be back by December'

5 posters

Go down

Jared Sullinger on injured Boston Celtics teammate Rajon Rondo: 'Hopefully he'll be back by December' Empty Jared Sullinger on injured Boston Celtics teammate Rajon Rondo: 'Hopefully he'll be back by December'

Post by Sam Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:52 am

Sully, who has probably encountered Rondo at the Celtics training site in the late summer, seems to feel Rondo is likely to be out through November, agreeing with a number of other opinions that have varying degrees of credibility. If Rondo is out for a month or so at the beginning of the season, I hope they will not have guys who are playing out of position trying to distribute the ball. Part of rebuilding is amping up the chemistry a.s.a.p., and the Celtics need a ball distributor to do that. I hope Pressey will be able to spend some quality time on the court, but they need an experienced PG (not a combo guard) to give the team some cohesive guidance in training camp and at the beginning of the season. Moreover, with increasing numbers of NBA teams having three PGs on their rosters, it would seem wise for the Celtics to follow suit.

I once again ground my teeth at the sight of yet another alleged journalist practically licking his chops at the prospect of the Celtics piling up a lot of losses early in the season.

Sam

Jared Sullinger on injured Boston Celtics teammate Rajon Rondo: 'Hopefully he'll be back by December'

By Jay King, MassLive.com

On August 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM, updated August 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has stated publicly -- several times -- that point guard Rajon Rondo wants to return from ACL surgery by training camp and play on opening night. Yet while speaking with WSYX Columbus on Friday, teammate Jared Sullinger shared a different timetable for Boston's four-time All-Star.

"He's back working out again and hopefully he'll be back by December," said Sullinger.

Obviously we don't know how much Sullinger knows, but he has hopefully (if you're a Celtics fan looking for locker room camaraderie) stayed in contact with his longest-tenured teammate.
Rondo has bounced around during rehab, working out at the University of Louisville's athletic facilities and in Florida with Dr. James Andrews, the famous surgeon who performed his surgery. The 27-year old was also spotted in Las Vegas and I've been told he's spent some time at the Celtics training facilities in Waltham, where Sullinger has undergone a lot of his back rehabilitation.

Ainge has said Rondo would like to return "before Adrian Peterson was back" -- referencing, of course, the Minnesota Vikings running back who returned from a torn ACL almost overnight (or: in less than nine months) to win the NFL MVP award.

But the Celtics shouldn't rush Rondo back to the court. With no realistic hopes of contending, they're better off allowing him to slowly work his way back to full health (and maybe even compiling a heap of losses during Rondo's recovery that will turn into ping pong balls at the 2014 NBA Draft lottery).
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Jared Sullinger on injured Boston Celtics teammate Rajon Rondo: 'Hopefully he'll be back by December' Empty Re: Jared Sullinger on injured Boston Celtics teammate Rajon Rondo: 'Hopefully he'll be back by December'

Post by sinus007 Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 am

sam wrote:
.....  If Rondo is out for a month or so at the beginning of the season, I hope they will not have guys who are playing out of position trying to distribute the ball.  Part of rebuilding is amping up the chemistry a.s.a.p., and the Celtics need a ball distributor to do that.  I hope Pressey will be able to spend some quality time on the court, but they need an experienced PG (not a combo guard) to give the team some cohesive guidance in training camp and at the beginning of the season.  Moreover, with increasing numbers of NBA teams having three PGs on their rosters, it would seem wise for the Celtics to follow suit. ....

Sam,
A few comments on the above.
They don't currently have anyone who'd be experienced PG/ball distributor. There's still time, especially after 9/12/13 (AFAIK) when DA can involve some of the newcomers from BKN.
This brings me to "chemistry". I think it's a sort of mirage at this point: so many personnel changes that most probably happen before the trade deadline, no RR before December (per Sully), brand new to the team and NBA coach. I hope things will stabilize by March and Celtics start getting actually closer to that well of chemistry.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Jared Sullinger on injured Boston Celtics teammate Rajon Rondo: 'Hopefully he'll be back by December' Empty Re: Jared Sullinger on injured Boston Celtics teammate Rajon Rondo: 'Hopefully he'll be back by December'

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:16 am

Good that Rondos out, I hope he stays out another extra month so there is no further setback....go Nets!!! I want a lottery pick and a shotblocking 5.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:36 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Good that Rondos out, I hope he stays out another extra month so there is no further setback....go Nets!!! I want a lottery pick and a shotblocking 5.

cowens,

Tanking is not 'old school'.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:15 pm

There were a couple of points not included:
"He's back working out again and hopefully he'll be back by December," but my name is Sully, not Doc, He's in LA. And neither one of us is qualified to express opinion on medical matters"

and

" Moreover, with increasing numbers of NBA teams having three PGs on their rosters, it would seem wise for the Celtics to follow suit..." Especially since this team hasn't had TWO pg's in years, wouldn't three be nice?"

mulcogi
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:23 pm

In the interest of offsetting others' hopes for the opposite result, I hope the Celtics win the Championship.

Sinus, I'm in total agreement about the fact that it's senseless to conjecture about chemistry until we have a good idea about the roster at the start of the season. I believe we've seen Phase One of the rebuilding, which was about acquiring maneuvering room and assets by whatever means Danny could arrange, without much (if any) thought as to chemistry. I hope Phase Two (probably starting after September 12), will begin the roster-balancing and chemistry-facilitating process. Danny has no wiggle room to sign free agents, so he'll almost certainly have to trade contracts which should be sufficient to stimulate some lively discussion here.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:07 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Good that Rondos out, I hope he stays out another extra month so there is no further setback....go Nets!!! I want a lottery pick and a shotblocking 5.
cowens,

Tanking is not 'old school'.

bob

if there is no deep playoff run, I want a top 5 pick.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down