Jordan Crawford's 'Steez' Grows On Celtics

2 posters

Go down

Jordan Crawford's 'Steez' Grows On Celtics Empty Jordan Crawford's 'Steez' Grows On Celtics

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:37 pm

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/10/jordan_crawford_steez_grows_on_celtics

Jordan Crawford ‘steez’ grows on Celtics
A style all his own

Jordan Crawford's 'Steez' Grows On Celtics 100113celticsce017
Photo by: Christopher Evans
GOOD STUDENT: Jordan Crawford listens to Celtics coach Brad Stevens during a break in practice.

Friday, October 4, 2013
By:  Steve Bulpett

NEWPORT, R.I. — Jordan Crawford has a way about him, a style. From quirky things like tucking his warmup pants into his socks to simply the at once carefree and purposeful way he walks, he is Jordan Crawford and no one else.

He once described it all as his “steez,” a combination of style and ease with linguistic origins in music lyrics.

It’s fair to say that some basketball people have been chilled by Crawford’s steez, which may account for his being traded three times in three years, counting his draft night transaction.

“Some people just kind of misunderstand me, you know, just because I’ve got a strong personality,” said the Celtics guard. “People kind of get intimidated by it when it really doesn’t mean anything. It’s just me coming to work wanting to play.

“That’s all I want to do is hoop.”

Two years ago he told Michael Lee of the Washington Post that he believed he could be better than Michael Jordan and that, yeah, he knew people would think he was crazy for saying that. It was his way of saying he would place no limits on himself. Reality checks be damned, just stop and think for a moment about all the wonderful things in this world that have been born of unrealistic expectations.

At this point, Crawford is simply appreciative of people who believe in him or, to a lesser degree, are willing to let him make his case free from preconceived notions. Doc Rivers gave him his shots last season after a late February acquisition, but surely the coach had been given a salty scouting report from Washington leader and close friend Randy Wittman.

Brad Stevens, the Celtics’ new coach out of Butler, is probably more familiar with Crawford from his days down Interstate 74 at Xavier. The slate is as clean as it’s been in a while.

“This gives each guy an opportunity to carve their own way,” said Crawford. “It makes for an exciting season.

“It’s just exciting. You’ve got a new coach who just wants to come in and win. He’s all about winning. He doesn’t really know the NBA swagger yet for coaches and players, so he’s just coming in to work. That’s good for players that want the chance to make something out of themselves.”

The shape and tenure of Crawford’s future with the Celtics largely will be determined by how the club is able to remake itself over the next year or two and what trades become available. But he is comforted by the fact his front-office boss, Danny Ainge, is among his strongest supporters. Ainge has always liked guys who can enter a game and score in bunches, and he’s tuned in to other aspects of the 6-foot-4 guard’s game, as well.

“It’s a great thing to have,” Crawford said of Ainge’s approval. “He’s looking at me as a person. It’s refreshing. You can go out and be yourself. When you can go out and be yourself, it makes it possible for you to be the best player you can be.

“I mean, you ain’t got to worry about nobody disliking you because of the way you walk into the room. When you ain’t got to worry about stuff like that, it makes everything easier. So I appreciate everything he’s done for me — the confidence he’s shown in me and even going out into the paper and saying that I’m a good passer and I could be the replacement point guard.

“A lot of people know that, but they ain’t going to say it because they dislike me.”

Crawford is known as a scorer because he is aggressive and often flashy with the ball. But he has more to his game.

“When I go out on the court, I’m not just looking to score,” he said. “I want to win the game, so I’m going to do everything. It’s just about being in a situation where you’re comfortable and you get the opportunity.”

Stevens said this week that he’s not sure how Crawford will fit, but that he will play because he does so many things well.

“He’s telling me what I need to work on, what I’m doing good at, what my weaknesses are,” Crawford said. “That’s what I want. I’m just listening and doing what he wants. There’s nothing else.”

Having proven he can produce points in bunches, the next threshold would seem to be growing more consistent.

“Consistent when you’re given the opportunity, you know?” Crawford replied, steering the concept. “You can’t be consistent if you’re getting inconsistent time. You feel me?”

How things will shake out with this year’s club is still very much in question. But his point is well taken. Jordan Crawford is just hoping the C’s need his steez.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jordan Crawford's 'Steez' Grows On Celtics Empty Re: Jordan Crawford's 'Steez' Grows On Celtics

Post by Sam Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm hoping Crawford will be able to focus on what roles are available rather than looking over his shoulder at what trades are available. If his concentration is riveted on what he should be doing, rather than on what he should not be doing, he could carve out and fill a very useful role.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down