bobheckler
Sam
7 posters

Go down

Hall of Famer Bill Sharman dies Empty Hall of Famer Bill Sharman dies

Post by 112288 Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:37 pm

ESPNBOSTON.COM

Hall Of Famer Bill Sharman Dies

J.A. Adande remembers Hall of Famer Bill Sharman.
Tags: NBA, Bill Sharman
Hall of Famer Bill Sharman, a member of three Celtics championships as a player who then coached the Lakers to their first championship in Los Angeles, died Friday at age 87, his wife told the Los Angeles Times.

Sharman had suffered a stroke last week and died at his home in Redondo Beach, Calif., Joyce Sharman said.

Bill Sharman built a Hall of Fame playing career with the Celtics before becoming a successful coach and then general manager.

An eight-time All-Star with the Celtics, Sharman averaged 17.8 points in an 11-year playing career.

He was on the 1958-59 Celtics team that won the first title of an eventual eight in a row. He stopped playing after the 1960-61 season at the age of 34.

Sharman began coaching the Lakers in 1971. The Lakers had lost six times to the Celtics in the Finals between 1962 and 1970.

But everything clicked with that team. Led by Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West and Gail Goodrich, the Lakers won a record 33 games in a row during the regular season. They beat Walt Frazier and the Knicks in the Finals, 4-1.

West, now an executive board member with the Golden State Warriors, said in a statement that news of Sharman's death was "a very sad day for me."

People wanted to be around Bill Sharman not so much for his achievements but for his kindness, which was always accompanied by a warm handshake, J.A. Adande writes. Story

Bill Sharman's astute basketball mind helped him capture 12 championships as a player, a coach and an executive, Ken Shouler writes.

"Bill Sharman was, without a doubt, one of the greatest human beings I have ever met and one of my all-time favorite individuals, both as a competitor and as a friend," West said.

"He was the epitome of class and dignity and, I can assure you, we find few men of his character in this world. I extend my deepest sympathy to his wife, Joyce, and his children. We will miss him."

After coaching the Lakers for four more seasons, Sharman became general manager and later team president. He was GM until 1982 and was responsible for drafting Magic Johnson and winning titles in 1980 and '82.

Sharman was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a player in 1976 and as a coach in 2004.

In a statement from the Lakers, team president Jeanie Buss said: "Despite his greatness as a player, coach and executive, Bill was one of the sweetest, nicest and most humble people I've ever known. He was truly one of a kind."

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak also praised Sharman.

"Bill Sharman was a great man, and I loved him dearly," Kupchak said in the statement. "From the time I signed with the team as a free agent in 1981 when Bill was General Manager, he's been a mentor, a work collaborator, and most importantly, a friend.

Back to top Go down

Hall of Famer Bill Sharman dies Empty Re: Hall of Famer Bill Sharman dies

Post by Sam Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Unfortunately, Sharman played for the Celtics so long ago that there are no executives who feel qualified to memorialize him. But you can bet there are some tears mixed with the cigar smoke from above. And I bet Cooz is particularly moved.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Given his recent loss I don't think Cousy's ever going to smile in October again.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Besides his illustrious career as a Celtic player, Sharman won the ABA title as coach of the Utah Stars before winning the NBA title as coach of the Lakers. He is one of only three people to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and a coach (the others being John Wooden and Lenny Wilkens).

I heard nothing but praise about him, as a player, as a coach, and as a person.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:59 pm

WOW a what a great man, his achievements are beyond words, this former great Celtic was responsible for the Laker dynasty, without him there is no Laker reign as we know it today. Never knew he was the guy that drafted Magic Johnson....Red taught him too well.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:59 pm

This is a sad day..

Not just the celtics and lakers but the world lost a good man today.

Just a few days ago there was on I think yahoo a peice about Bill and how after a recent stroke he decided to auction off his 2010 championship ring- with the intent that this was possibly the last chance to give back something positive...

Bill Sharman was a credit to both Celtics and the Lakers, and the nba.

Rest in peace Bill Sharman..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Trivia on Bill.

He was the only major league baseball player ever to have been thrown out of a major league game and never to have played a major league game.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Rest in piece Bill. The world is a smaller place without you here. A great man.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down