Sullinger Anxious For Season Debut

Go down

Sullinger Anxious For Season Debut Empty Sullinger Anxious For Season Debut

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:44 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4707837/sullinger-anxious-for-season-debut

Sullinger anxious for season debut
November, 1, 2013
NOV 1 12:05 AM ET

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Boston Celtics forward Jared Sullinger spent Wednesday in the principal's office.

Serving a team-issued one-game suspension for his role in a domestic violence altercation in August, Sullinger watched Boston's season-opener against the Raptors from the office of president of basketball operations Danny Ainge. Sullinger joked that Ainge ranted at times like Celtics legend/color commentator Tommy Heinsohn, but couldn't complain much about Ainge's souped-up multiple-TV viewing experience (which included a couple screens dedicated to Game 6 of the World Series).

The harder part for Sullinger turned out to be watching his teammates struggle on the glass against Toronto. The Raptors utilized a staggering 19 offensive rebounds to generate 28 second-chance points en route to a 93-87 triumph. Sullinger cringed knowing he could have made a difference with his rebounding abilities.

"Rebounding is my forte," said Sullinger. "That’s what I pride myself on. So that really stood out, the rebounding."

Forgive Sullinger if he's itchy for game action. He's probably sick of watching these games on TV, especially after lumbar disk surgery curtailed his rookie campaign after 45 games last season. Sullinger even admitted that he'll likely have a bit of butterflies before making his season debut in Boston's home-opener against the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday night.

"I'll definitely have a little bit of nerves," he said. "Especially coming off the back surgery. Now it’s the real deal. It’s everybody’s full squad, going head to head, so I’m a little nervous. But I think I’ll have confidence."

The Celtics triggered Sullinger's third-year option on Thursday, a bit of a no-brainer considering he's set to earn $1.4 million next season. Even still, Sullinger appreciated the gesture.

"Honestly, it makes me feel comfortable knowing that even though [he endured] a lot of ups and downs this summer, that they’re still willing to work with me," said Sullinger. "It shows a lot of confidence upstairs, which also fuels confidence in me."

Sullinger faced charges of assault and battery, destruction of property, and witness intimidation in connection with an Aug. 31 confrontation with his girlfriend. Charges were dismissed on Tuesday in Waltham District Court.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down