Stevens Learning that 'Hindsight is 20/20'

2 posters

Go down

Stevens Learning that 'Hindsight is 20/20' Empty Stevens Learning that 'Hindsight is 20/20'

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:40 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/stevens-learning-hindsights-20-20

Stevens learning that 'hindsight's 20-20'
November 2, 2013, 3:30 pm

WALTHAM, Mass. — You lose a game the way the Boston Celtics did Friday night to Milwaukee, playing the would-have, could-have game is a given.

Two of the more questionable decisions or non-decisions depending on how you look at it, from Friday night's loss involve the Celtics keeping Kris Humphries and Phil Pressey on the bench for the entire game.

Humphries, who had eight points and nine rebounds playing less than 21 minutes in the season-opener at Toronto, did not play (coaches decision) against the Bucks on Friday.

Rookie point guard Phil Pressey sat the entire game as well, even as starting point guard Avery Bradley racked up early foul trouble before eventually fouling out for the second straight game.

On Saturday, Celtics head coach Brad Stevens explained his rationale in keeping both guys on the bench.

"By the time we took Avery out of there with five minutes left in the game, Phil had sat there for 43 minutes," said Stevens who added, "in a game that's tense and tight already, hard to come in ... hindsight's always 20-20."

But with the benefit of hindsight, Stevens acknowledges that he might have handled Pressey's situation differently.

"Maybe I would put him in if I had that opportunity (again)," Stevens said.

As far as Humphries not playing, Stevens had a talk with the 6-foot-9 veteran this morning.

"I told Kris, him not playing was not a result of his play on Wednesday," Stevens said. "I kind of made up my mind that I was going to go with Kelly (Olynyk) and Jared (Sullinger) early. And I thought that rotation of four bigs was good overall."

Vitor Faverani and Brandon Bass are the two bigs in the starting lineup for the Celtics, while Sullinger and Olynyk were the primary backups at both power forward and center.

In Friday's loss, Faverani had 12 points and a game-high 18 rebounds to go with six blocked shots. Bass led all Celtics with 17 points along with grabbing nine rebounds. Sullinger and Olynyk came off the bench and combined to score 14 points.

"Hindsight's 20-20," Stevens said, "but I don't think I would have necessarily taken one of those guys out (for Humphries)."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Stevens Learning that 'Hindsight is 20/20' Empty Re: Stevens Learning that 'Hindsight is 20/20'

Post by k_j_88 Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Kelly Olynyk isn't ready for the physical rigors this league has to offer. Humphries, however, is a necessary seasoned veteran presence.

Come on, Brad.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down