HOW A COURTNEY LEE FOR JERRYD BAYLESS TRADE AFFECTS DANNY AINGE’S CELTICS FUTURE

5 posters

Go down

HOW A COURTNEY LEE FOR JERRYD BAYLESS TRADE AFFECTS DANNY AINGE’S CELTICS FUTURE Empty HOW A COURTNEY LEE FOR JERRYD BAYLESS TRADE AFFECTS DANNY AINGE’S CELTICS FUTURE

Post by 112288 Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:48 pm

WEEI

By Ben Rohrbach

The Celtics and Grizzlies have reached an agreement to swap guards Courtney Lee and Jerryd Bayless pending approval from the league on Monday, according to ESPN.com’s Marc Stein.

As a result of the deal, the Celtics save $2.1 million this season and shed the $11.1 million owed Lee over the next two seasons, since Bayless is slated to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Of course, the C’s also acquire a 25-year-old point guard who has averaged highs of 11.4 points, 4.0 assists and 2.5 rebounds with a 52.2 true shooting percentage and 13.5 Player Efficiency Rating for five teams in his six NBA seasons. Bayless averaged 8.0 points (46.8 TS%), 2.0 assists and 1.9 boards while producing an 11.2 PER in 20.8 minutes over 30 games for the Grizzlies this season. He has totaled 57 points in his last three games against the Celtics.

The trade effectively ends a disappointing Boston tenure for Lee. While the 28-year-old has scored 7.4 points on 57.3 true shooting (49.2 FG%, 44.2 3P%) in 30 games for the Celtics this season, he never quite lived up to the four-year, $21.5 million deal he signed in 2012.

Most importantly, the Celtics cut their guaranteed payroll to just $42.5 million next season — well below the projected salary cap of $62.1 million — offering Celtics president Danny Ainge even more flexibility to re-sign Avery Bradley, acquire anyone on the free-agent market and/or make any trade under the sun. The Celtics now also have some wiggle room to add another player this season to fill the roster at 15.

Back to top Go down

HOW A COURTNEY LEE FOR JERRYD BAYLESS TRADE AFFECTS DANNY AINGE’S CELTICS FUTURE Empty Re: HOW A COURTNEY LEE FOR JERRYD BAYLESS TRADE AFFECTS DANNY AINGE’S CELTICS FUTURE

Post by kdp59 Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:57 am

so who are the FA's we currently have on the roster?

Bradley-re-sign
Crawford- Who knows?
Brooks-Gone
Bayless-who knows?

Humphries- Gone
Bogans- his $5M deal is not guaranteed, does it count in that $42M in the story?

did I miss anyone?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

HOW A COURTNEY LEE FOR JERRYD BAYLESS TRADE AFFECTS DANNY AINGE’S CELTICS FUTURE Empty Re: HOW A COURTNEY LEE FOR JERRYD BAYLESS TRADE AFFECTS DANNY AINGE’S CELTICS FUTURE

Post by beat Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:35 am

Wondering it this move has any meaning for Rondo? Will he even come back this season at all? Personally I think he should (if healthy and ready) just to get a feel for working with our other pieces and perhaps see who flourishes because of it.

Still lots more to happen but we have a lot of flexibility now.

beat

PS welcome to our 2 new members too, Mike and Kdp.

PSS.............. we are suppose to get HAMMERED with perhaps 5 + feet of snow over the next 36-48 hours too...............so ready for baseball season!
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:05 am

kdp59 wrote:so who are the FA's we currently have on the roster?

Bradley-re-sign
Crawford- Who knows?
Brooks-Gone
Bayless-who knows?

Humphries- Gone
Bogans- his $5M deal is not guaranteed, does it count in that $42M in the story?

did I miss anyone?

kdp,

Hump may not be gone, he's just not getting $12M/year, not from us or anybody else.

Here's a page that lists salaries. GYSO, our resident salary and cap expert, doesn't like to use this link but it'll do in a pinch.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

Crawford gets a qualifying offer next year. I'll guarantee that. He has value and Danny will not lose him without getting something in return (assuming that Danny doesn't just keep him and sign him longer term).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 am

Bob,

You beat me to it but Hump may have found a home.  I think he is embracing Boston better then Wallace.  He is a great value guy off the bench that brings:
1) Scoring, 2) Rebounding, and 3) Toughness.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 am

bobh,

The hoopshype site shows the salaries to be paid.  The other ones I use are hoopsworld and shamsports, which show the cap hits.  I only learned the difference this past month, so not so much an cap expert.

A better description could be a never-ending always-evolving old-dogs-can-learn-new-tricks kind of capologist.

There are a couple more sites to be found here, just follow the link:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q111

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:33 am

gyso wrote:bobh,

The hoopshype site shows the salaries to be paid.  The other ones I use are hoopsworld and shamsports, which show the cap hits.  I only learned the difference this past month, so not so much an cap expert.

A better description could be a never-ending always-evolving old-dogs-can-learn-new-tricks kind of capologist.

There are a couple more sites to be found here, just follow the link:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q111

gyso

gyso,

You might be an old dog, but you're OUR old dog.  You make sense of things for us.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down