beat
Matty
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who Fits In? Empty Who Fits In?

Post by Matty Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Who Fits In?

I think at this point we can be reasonably sure that there is a good chance that theres a possibility that, most likley we're going to be looking at what could very well end up being most probabaly a lotto draft pick for the Celtics That doesnt mean we're tanking, and there's no need to go into how we might feel about how some people might feel about whether or not we are indeed tanking. Thats not why this exercise is being written by me and read by you.

Instead I wanted to look at the ramifications of getting a lotto pick, in paticuler, what will seemingly be a top 10 pick in this upcoming draft. So I strolled over to ESPN's website (and I apologize to all intelligent sports fans out there if they are offended by that choice, but I add my disclaimer, I merely needed a list of top ten potential lotto picks and ESPN bless their Miami Heat obsessed hearts, had one) anyhow, according to the Heat Inde.. I mean ESPN.. heres the top 10 guys coming in this summers draft- in positional order

5's- Joel Embiid- 19 yrs old, 7'0, 250 lbs

4's- Julius Randal- 19 yrs old, 6'9, 225 lbs
Aaron Gordon- 19 yrs old 6'8, 210 lbs
Noah Vonleh- 18 yrs old, 6'10, 240 lbs
Dario Saric- 19 yrs old, 6'10, 223 lbs

3's- Jabari Parker- 18 yrs old, 6'8 240 lbs

2-s Andrew Wiggens- 18 yrs old 6'8 200 lbs

1's – Dante Exum 18 yrs old, 6'6, 188 lbs
Marcus Smart- 19 yrs old, 6'4, 225 lbs
Tyler Ennis 19 yrs old, 6'2, 180

First off a slight rant, I really, REALLY wish the league would raise the age linit to at least 20 to be able to enter the league, bringing in a bunch of damn kids (and I mean that in the best way possible) to change the fortunes of the leagues worst teams is a crapshoot at best.. (see Greg Oden, Royce White and that kid the Cavs just drafted at number 1)

Ok Back to the point of all this, which of these younglings is going to make the best choice for the Celtics, lets just suppose we ended up with the number 1 pick, who do we take?

We've already got this Rondo kid who seems to be the real deal at the point, now unless Danny see's something in one of these kids that says that he can be as good as Rondo within the next two seasons- so Danny can send Rondo off somewheres else and get ba'agillionzilliondillion draft picks back we aint taking a point guard. So goodbye, Exum, Smart and Ennis..

Bradley is likewise turning into a premier shooting guard, Im not sure i'd take him over Wiggens though, acualy the reverse is true, yes you take Wiggens over Bradley, keep them as Wiggens devolopes and see how he does playing soe time at the three as well. So if we have the chance to take Wiggens do we? Absolutely. For ****ts and giggles im tossing Aaron Gordon into this discusion even though he's a 4 in collage, thats not happeninging in the NBA at 6'8 and 210, Gordon is a 2 or a 3.. Im not taking him to replace bradley though, and probably not over Green either.

At the 3 we've got the couldbe-shouldbe-but aint got the heart (no pun intended) superstar that isnt jeff Green, does this draft offer any improvements over what Jeff already provides us? Maybe...? That Maybe is Parker, who has NBA genitics on his side already and could eclipse in a couple seasons of bulk adding and expereince what Jeff Green is now. Is Parker a future superstar? I'm not going to put it past him to get some All Star Gams under his belt before his career is all said and done, but he is not likely a future MVP, though he does pattern his game after Paul Peirce, and i'd take a future finals MVP over a reguler season MVP any day. Gordan who has already been mentioned could see time in the NBA as a 3 as well and so could Randall, but I guessing that neither has a ceiling much higher than Jeff Green's roof that we're learning to accept.

The 4's: We got Sully the Swag Bear, Randall and Gordon will not be a better fit as power forwards than Sully on any team in the league. I really like the size of Noah Vonleh however, still, we got Sully. Mebbe if Vonlleh grew another coupe inches between now and June and added 15 lbs or so we could use him at the five? Still at the moment with Sully we're sitting good.

5- What Boston really needs is some bad@$$ who would kill his own mother for a buck fifty and toss his favorite grandmother in the deal just because, who also loves to rebound, block shots and beat the living hell out of anyone not wearing the same color of jersey. Sadly we already traded Kendrick Perkins to Seatle-Oklahomah for Jeff Green. So now we got our abover average small forward who'll never be The GUY- but im getting off track, thats the guy we need, and we want. I really dont know if Joel Embiid has that sort of chip on his shoulder, or the desire to eat human flesh just because the poor b@$tard stepped into the post with him being there himself within the last hour or so. Would Embiid become so enraged at a bad call in the Eastern Confernce finals that he'd slay ½ the Miami Heats team with the jawbone of a piss poor referee- or better yet David Sterns jawbone?

If yes, then this is the guy we want, but I dont know if he is THAT guy, What im sure of is that he's somewhere between a Fab Melo and a Hakeem Olajuwon, most likely ending up more on the side of The Dream than otherwise, just how much closer is anyone's guess, The Kid is still learning the game, but seems to have an arseload of potential, how muich more so that the rest of these kids will that potential be realized or not realized is the ninty nine billion dollar question.

So what are we left with? If Embiid is availible when we pick, we've really no choice, we take the risk. Though the risk might be less with other players he posses the ability to perhaps fill our greatest need. Wiggins could replace Bradley and Parker could replace Green, making both those players tradable assets come this summer. The other guys? Right now, I cant see us in the market for any of them over guys we've got now, meaning, just like when we traded the 5th pick (after loosing out on Oden- (thank God) and Kevin Durant) for Ray Allen I think we could be in store for another major draft for star type of trade.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Who Fits In? Empty Re: Who Fits In?

Post by beat Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:15 pm

Matty said

I think at this point we can be reasonably sure that there is a good chance that theres a possibility that, most likley we're going to be looking at what could very well end up being most probabaly a lotto draft pick for the Celtics,

Matty to some it up...are you sure !!

loved the line by the way

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:29 pm

beat wrote:Matty said

I think at this point we can be reasonably sure that there is a good chance that theres a possibility that, most likley we're going to be looking at what could very well end up being most probabaly a lotto draft pick for the Celtics,

loved the line by the way

beat

beat,

I suppose it should be considered that he most likely, and is not beyond the possibility of pale of reality, in a good position to conceivably be confident of it.

I play the stock market and, when I read that, thought to myself "I could learn something about hedging from Hooter".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:48 pm

Here's draftexpress's lineup.

http://www.draftexpress.com/

We'd be picking 3rd, if it was today.

1.  Joel Embiid, Kansas, Freshman - 7'0", 240# center, 7'5" wingspan.  Said to play like Hakeem
2.  Andrew Wiggins, Kansas, Freshman - 6'8", 197#, SF, 7'0" wingspan. Gunner
3.  Jabari Parker, Duke, Freshman - 6'8", 240#, PF, 7'0" wingspan
4.  Julius Randle, Kentucky, Freshman - 6'9", 248#, PF, 6'11" wingspan
5.  Dante Exum, Australian Institute of Sport, Intl. - 6'6", 188#, PG, 6'9" wingspan, 18 years old.
6.  Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Sophomore - 6'4", 200#, PG, 6'8" wingspan
7.  Aaron Gordon, Arizona, Freshman - 6'9", 212#, PF, 6'11"+ wingspan
8.  Noah Vonleh, Indiana, Freshman - 6'10", 242#, C, 7'4" wingspan
9.  Willie Cauley-Stein, Kentucky, Sophomore - 7'0", 244#, C, 7'2" wingspan
10. Gary Harris, Michigan State, Sophomore - 6'5", 210#, SG, 6'7" wingspan
11. Dario Saric, Cibona Zagreb, Intl - 6'10", 223#, SF/PF, 6'10" wingspan, 19 years old, 2 years pro
12. Doug McDermott, Creighton, Senior - 6'8", 223#, PF, 6'8" wingspan, 22 years old
13. Tyler Ennis, Syracuse, Freshman - 6'2", 180#, PG, 6'5" wingspan, 18 years old
14. Rodney Hood, Duke, Sophomore - 6'8", 201#, SF, 6'8" wingspan, 21 years old (a 21 year old sophomore?)

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:29 pm

BobH,

We could also be first, or second, or fourth, or fifth. Beauty of a lottery system.

Boston could very well end up with a top 1 or 2 pick.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:13 pm

Matty, I've only had a chance to watch Jabari Parker. That said I'm convinced he's the real deal, a big improvement over Jeff Green, and someone who WILL be a star in the NBA.

My concern about 7'0" 19 year olds is that they've grown too fast for their leg bone growth plates to consolidate, and those playing an 82+ game schedule are at great risk of career ending injuries - like Oden and Bynum.

A big worry.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:36 pm

worcester wrote:My concern about 7'0" 19 year olds is that they've grown too fast for their leg bone growth plates to consolidate, and those playing an 82+ game schedule are at great risk of career ending injuries - like Oden and Bynum.

A big worry.

This is an excellent observation.

Of course, this occurrence seems to happen more frequently with present-day athletes than in the past.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:40 pm

They're younger and leave college much sooner. 6' guards don't face nearly the same growth plate risks.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 pm

Wiggins is mostly considered to be a SF in this draft. Gordon should be listed at 6'9" and is long. He'll be a PF in the NBA but he'll need to get bigger.

Noah Vonleh is one I find extremely intriguing. He's 6'10" but is extremely long. With his athleticism, he could be a shot blocker in this league and anchor the D. Also he's a local kid from Haverhill.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:54 am

If the Celtics are lucky enough to get the opportunity to select one of the top 4 players it will move the team one step closer to respectability.

There however is always a chance that a guy is drafted 7th and he ends up being the best player drafted that year.

But I think the top 4 guys are very talented.

I'm going to play GM.  We have a top 4 pick and I need to make a decision.  Here is what I have seen.

Wiggins entered college as the # 1 prospect coming out of high school.  To some he has been less than spectacular during his freshman year.  Wiggins is a tremendous athlete but at 6'8" and 200 lbs his body is not NBA ready yet.  Other than that the other skill related weakness is his handle.  He does not have that drop dead handle.  He is however a very good defender and has 7' wingspan.  He can score from the outside and is a very good slasher with tremendous body control.

His teammate Embiid has been rising up draft boards.  He has not been playing basketball that long but has very good skills.  He reminds me of Serge Ibaka.  Embiid is a 7 footer with a 7' 5" wingspan.  He appears to improve with each game.  If the Celtics are willing to wait 1-3 years for him to fill out he could provide a defensive presence in the middle for years to come.

Jabari Parker is Paul Pierce 2014.  Parker is a 6' 8" undersized PF with length 7' 0 wingspan, bulk 240lbs and multiple skills.  He can score from inside or take it to the hoop.  He is a strong rebounder and defender and sometimes he takes questionable shots (Paul Pierce)  He is quick enough to play SF so if the Celtics are looking for an upgrade at the SF, Parker could be the guy.

Julius Randall is pure PF.  He has unreal handle for a guy his size.  Has a nice mid range game, rebounds in traffic and can get to the rim off the dribble.  He also is a pretty good defender.  At 248 lbs he has an NBA ready body just like Parker.

As GM I thought about what the team needs most and I came to the conclusion that we really need a center.  However the team still has a pressing needs for a high end scorer.

When the Celtics pick we will take Jabari Parker if he is still on the board.  If he is gone than we will take Julius Randall and if both of those players are gone we will select Embiid.  And our last option will be Wiggins.  

We will be well served if any of these 4 prospects are available to the team on draft night.

Sleeper in this draft is Rodney Hood SF Duke.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:19 pm

k_j_88 wrote:BobH,

We could also be first, or second, or fourth, or fifth. Beauty of a lottery system.

Boston could very well end up with a top 1 or 2 pick.

KJ

KJ,

You're right. And if we go on a run and drop to 6th or 7th we could be misfortunate enough to drop to 9th or 10th. That's why I listed the first 14 prospects as of yesterday. Assume some movement in the prospects, as well. Wiggins was the #1 pick for a long time, now he's #2.

I believe the way it works is that if you are 1-2, you can get no lower than 5th. #3 has a 4% chance of picking sixth. After that it drops to three below what you are

e.g. If you have the 6th worst record you cannot fall below 9th. If you have the 7th worst record you cannot fall below 10th, etc.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:31 pm

I have to say, even though he's not a center, I like Jabari Parker the most out of this draft class.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:35 pm

They're talking about Embiid as having a similar game to Hakeem Olajuwan.  That means he's going to be a bust.  I hate when they do that.

Have you noticed, there isn't one single leviathon in the bunch?  Only 3 centers in the top 14 and they all weigh in the 240s.  Not prime NBA beef on the hoof, just the prerequisite height.

We need a center and we need an assassin (maybe even two of each).

I'm a pro-sports fan and don't follow college sports much (not having a TV makes that easier).  Do any of those 240# centers make you drool? Kentucky center Anthony Davis was a draft pick savant's love object. In the NBA he plays PF. Think a 240-something pounder can play center in the NBA without being bounced around? Kelly Olynyk is listed as 238#.

Do any of those other players make you say "just give him the ball.  Just give it to him and get out of his way (or go to your spot) and we'll get points out of it"?

We're loaded at 4.  What would we do with another?  Would you trade Sully to make room for Randle?  I've never watched Randle play anything more than ESPN highlights, but I've watched quite a bit of Sully and if Parker is Pierce 2014 then Sully is LaMarcus Aldridge 2014.  Trade Hump and Bass?  Sure, everybody is on the table, but then we start to look like a kindergarten.  Veterans find ways to win.  Young'uns (as KG calls them) find ways to confront their NBA limitations during crunch time.

This draft is said to be the deepest and best in a decade, but not for any needs we have right now.  That said, you take the best you can and then figure what to do with them.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:38 pm

But since I am not Danny

I take Embiid.  Too good to pass up. Plus we can probably pick up another scorer later in the draft

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:46 pm

beat wrote:Matty said

beat

anything can happen a wise Celtic once said..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:50 pm

dboss wrote:But since I am not Danny

I take Embiid.  Too good to pass up.  Plus we can probably pick up another scorer later in the draft

dboss

dboss,

Embiid is currently projected to go #1. We might not have #1. Assuming we pick #3-#5, then who would you take?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:01 pm

For the 20th time I see us picking Jabari Parker. He's been on Danny's radar screen since the day his father became a Mormon. Jabari can shoot from the outside, drive to the inside, rebound, defend, muscle and finesse. He's a big upgrade for us at the three, and he gives us options with JG. Jabari's still growing too. Don't forget he's only 19 and may gain an inch and some more beef...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Since it's an imaginary draft with the Celtics having an imaginary pick, I'd still pick Embiid with pick #3-#5, I imagine.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:35 pm

Hey Outside, would you please bottle up some of your imagination and mail it to: Mr. Danny Ainge; Boston Celtics; 226 Causeway St.; Boston, MA 02114?

Thank you ,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Bob if we pick 3-5 and Joel is off the boards I will go with Parker, Wiggins and Randall in that order.

My 5th option would be a trade down or best available regardless of position.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Andrew Wiggins, Kansas, Freshman - 6'8", 197#, SF, 7'0" wingspan.
If Wiggins is 6'8", I guess that makes Embiid about 7'4".

Who Fits In? Andrew-wiggins-kansas-jayhawks

When I've seen him play, Wiggins looks scrawny to me. What if he's really 6'5" and 190 pounds?

A guy like that succeeds in the NBA occasionally, like Steph Curry, but that seems like a once-in-a-generation thing, and that exemption won't be available for another 15 years or so. I think Wiggins would be wise to stay another year or two and mature physically. Otherwise, he should expect to be abused by guys who are much heavier and twice as strong.

bobheckler wrote:Have you noticed, there isn't one single leviathon in the bunch?  Only 3 centers in the top 14 and they all weigh in the 240s.  Not prime NBA beef on the hoof, just the prerequisite height...

Do any of those 240# centers make you drool? Kentucky center Anthony Davis was a draft pick savant's love object. In the NBA he plays PF. Think a 240-something pounder can play center in the NBA without being bounced around? Kelly Olynyk is listed as 238#.
It's remarkable to me that any of these guys are 240 pounds. Back when I played, guys coming out of high school were all skinny as rails and didn't begin to bulk up until they were juniors or seniors in college. Now the basketball guys coming out of high school look bigger than the football guys used to.

I haven't seen any of the centers play, but being only 240 pounds wouldn't scare me away by itself. What's most important to me is whether a guy has a center's attitude -- does he play like a center, or would he rather extend his range and work on his perimeter skills.

When evaluating the college guys, two examples I'll use as contrasts are Anthony Davis and Cody Zeller.

(And Bob, I consider Davis a center, not a power forward. Look at his highlights, and you'll see the other team's center guards him. Depending on the matchup, he may guard the other team's center or power forward, but he's always dropping back to the paint to get blocks and otherwise anchor the defense like a center would.)

Pre-draft measurements for Davis from DraftExpress:

Height without shoes - 6' 9.25"
Weight - 222
Wingspan - 7' 5.5"
Standing reach - 9' 0"
Standing vertical leap - n/a
Max vertical leap - n/a

Pre-draft measurements for Zeller from DraftExpress:

Height without shoes - 6' 10.75"
Weight - 230
Wingspan - 6' 10.75"
Standing reach - 8' 10"
Standing vertical leap - 35.5"
Max vertical leap - 37.5"

Davis was a little shorter but had a great wingspan. Zeller was a little heavier, and his reach and wingspan wasn't as good as Davis, but he had impressive leaping ability (we unfortunately don't have those numbers for Davis, but for comparison purposes, DeAndre Jordan had a 26" standing leap and 30.5" max leap).

Can you tell who is a center from this information? I can't. But there was a HUGE disparity in this regard when I watched them play in college.

On offense at Kentucky, Davis had a limited game of mostly putbacks, dunks, and a move or two around the basket. On defense, he was like the second coming of Bill Russell -- owning the paint, blocking everything in sight, daring anyone to come into his territory.

Watching Zeller play last year at Indiana, the word that came to mind was "soft." On offense, he routinely got pushed around and wound up on the floor, he was remarkably ineffective around the basket, and he felt much more comfortable using his athletic skills on the break or 15-20 feet from the basket. On defense, he was focused on his man. He didn't have a center's mindset at all.

The Celtics need a center. If they don't trade for one, I would be extremely disappointed if they don't draft one. I'll hopefully get a chance to watch some of these guys play as we get closer to the tournament, but the main thing I'll be looking for will be who has a center's attitude. The height and weight stuff doesn't tell us the story.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke are playing today - top 4 picks right there.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Outside,

I have to agree with you. Seeing Wiggins on the court gave me the exact same impression. At only 200 lbs he would struggle against the beefier SFs in the league. Hence why I like Parker more. His body is more NBA ready and he can probably do everything Wiggins can do.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:04 pm

This draft might be overated, we really can't tell until 2 years after the draft class is drafted, each player has flaws and consistency issues.

On that note of what I have seen Embiid looks really skinny to me, he might be a bigger version of Ibaka without the jump shot and could be another version of Thabeet, which is not good. Embiid would get pushed around by most centers pretty easy right now.

Wiggins reminds me of Reggie Lewis, hes also going to need alot more strength, definitely has the athleticism, but so does Jeff Green. May be somewhat of a tweener, to upright to chase 2's and not strong enough to battle 3's. I'd try to develop him as a 3, needs alot of work in the weight room.

Jabari Parker looks like an ideal 3, very strong and skilled, probably the safest pick. Randle could be a Walter Berry clone or a more athletic lefty Karl Malone....both of these kids are finding their games and neither can carry his team yet.

All 4 are crapshoots, none are going to be the next Lebron or Durant, but I could be wrong? all I know is it hasn't been easy to replace Perk and maybe one of these picks will be the next big thing, some get better, some level off, most never fulfill their promise. Theres alot of Jeff Greens and Cory Brewers and Gerald Greens out there....is Michael Kidd G ever gonna get an offensive game?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:18 pm

Outside, I agree with you that center needs to be a priority for the Celtics. I'd prefer a trade, largely because (1) it could happen sooner than the draft and (2) they'd be more likely to get an NBA-ready player who is a known quantity rather than having to spend time in developing one.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next