Future In Focus

5 posters

Go down

Future In Focus Empty Future In Focus

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:31 pm

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/2/12/5404822/future-in-focus-ainge-looking-at-summer-of-2015

Future in focus: Ainge looking at summer of 2015
By wjsy on Feb 12 2014, 12:09p 32

Future In Focus 187700972.0_standard_709.0

Sean Deveney of The Sporting News and Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated talked Celtics this morning on the radio and both mentioned the same thing about Danny Ainge and the future of the franchise: the GM will look to make a big splash in the summer of 2015.

Mannix and Deveney differed on the current trade value of guys that are supposedly on the block like Brandon Bass and Jeff Green, but they agreed that Ainge will not commit to long term salaries the jeopardize the cap in 2015.  If he hasn't signed an extension by then, it's the summer that Rajon Rondo becomes a free agent and plans to explore his options.  Team options on Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk are due that year and Brandon Bass and presumably Joel Anthony (if he picks up next year's player option) come off the books.  In Sean Deveney's words:

"That summer is when they expect to complete this turnaround and sign a big free agent, keep Rondo and with whoever they get in the draft this year, they should be in pretty good position to put those pieces together in the summer of 2015."
Who's the obvious target a year from now?  Kevin Love.  Our friends at RedsArmy also highlight LaMarcus Aldridge, Roy Hibbert, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, and others, but the big prize is Love.  As a California kid, many suspect that he'll bolt to the Lakers, but as Mannix points out, if he sees that a Rondo-led/2014 first round pick-fueled Celtics team looks more primed to make a run at a championship, Boston would make for a very attractive destination.  They'll still have a bevy of first round picks to work with and more expiring contracts (Green and Wallace) to deal for.  However, getting Love would probably mean trading Love 2.0 in Sullinger in another budding-Al-Jefferson-for-in-his-prime-Kevin Garnett scenario.

For now, that's the light at the end of this tunnel, but Danny could easily switch tracks.  If Sullinger develops into an All-Star forward, Olynyk has a successful sophomore campaign, Bradley re-signs and recaptures that chemistry he had with Rondo two years ago, Jeff Green consistently delivers as a #2 or #3 option, and one--if not both--of the 2014 first round picks pan out, the Celtics could easily go a similar route as the Thunder and Blazers have and build from within.  That's a lot of ifs, but the team has options and every deal Danny has made this season has made the roster more flexible for the future.  Like Bruce Lee says, be like water, right?

bob
MY NOTE:  I don't think I can be as formless as water, maybe an Anchor Steam or a really good Bloody Mary, but the basic point, "let events and what will work best with what you have shape what happens next", is a good one.  More zen, less stress.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Future In Focus Empty Re: Future In Focus

Post by k_j_88 Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Kevin Love and Sullinger in the post? Hmm...interesting...

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:42 pm

I know I am in the minority, but I am not a big K. Love fan.

every time I see him I see a 6-8 PF, that seems to have some injury problems now (more in the future) and will do nothing but get slower as time goes by.

like I said I am in the minority among NBA fans I think.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:10 pm

Isn't having K. Love and Sullinger on the same team redundant? Both should be starters at PF and neither are the real answer to the center position (or our lack thereof).

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:16 pm

kdp59

I'm with you.  Kevin Love is definitley not a player I would go after.

You already mentioned the injury problems (has played 81 game his first year) and has been banged up periodically.

Aside from that If Sullinger continues his projectory we would have no need for Love.

Love is a top of the line offense player  (somewhat) and a very good rebounder,  But he does not pass the ball well and his defense sucks.  He cannot block shot or defend the paint.

Aside from that why would the Celtics target him in the summer of 2015 when he will still be under contract until 2016?

Beside who knows what we are going to need by 2015

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:18 pm

gyso wrote:Isn't having K. Love and Sullinger on the same team redundant?  Both should be starters  at PF and neither are the real answer to the center position (or our lack thereof).

gyso

gyso,

I concur.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down