Report: If you want Rajon Rondo or Jeff Green then Celtics want a lot in return

4 posters

Go down

Report: If you want Rajon Rondo or Jeff Green then Celtics want a lot in return Empty Report: If you want Rajon Rondo or Jeff Green then Celtics want a lot in return

Post by k_j_88 Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Report: If you want Rajon Rondo or Jeff Green then Celtics want a lot in return

Kurt Helin Feb 12, 2014, 9:53 PM EST

This is exactly what Flip Saunders was talking about when he suggested this will be a slower than expected trade deadline because teams are not willing to part with picks in perceived good drafts.

There is buzz out of Boston that GM Danny Ainge is shopping around just about everyone on the roster —Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green included.

At the right price.

That price is likely to include first round picks and be too steep for other teams, Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix told WEEI Radio (hat tip to Eye on Basketball).

“If Danny gets a monster offer for Rondo, I don’t think he’s attached to him in the sense that he’s untradeable,” Mannix said. “But I think it’s going to take a huge, All-Star level Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen type of offer.” (To be clear, he means a blockbuster deal like the ones the Celtics made to get those two in 2007, not bringing those two back.)

“I think at this point, Jeff Green is absolutely on the table for a deal. I think if Boston can find a way to find a way to get either a first-round draft pick or some kind of young piece back that can be better for their future, they would be willing to deal him,” he said. “The problem is that other teams are seeing what Jeff Green is, and other teams are seeing just how much money Jeff Green is making, and I don’t think they’re willing to deal for him.”

There’s a reason Oklahoma City was willing to move Green in the Kendrick Perkins trade, that they didn’t see Green as part of the future. Ainge gets that now, but he also gave Green a new contract that makes him very hard to move.

Rondo is going to be a Celtic next season. The question Ainge really has to deal with here is if he can re-sign Rondo in the summer of 2015, and if not should he move him.

One thing seems clear — Boston is going to look to make a big splash in the summer of 2015 (and beyond), that is when they will decide if they like what they have and will have the cap space to go after some big name free agents. It will be a tough market (the Lakers and Knicks should have cap space then too, among others) but that is clearly the plan.

---

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Report: If you want Rajon Rondo or Jeff Green then Celtics want a lot in return Empty Re: Report: If you want Rajon Rondo or Jeff Green then Celtics want a lot in return

Post by dboss Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Kurt Helin infers that the Celtics are finding out what the thunder already know about Jeff Green. I suppose Kurt was sitting in the office with the GM when that Perk/Green trade was made.

But his take misses some key factors.

If the Thunder did not already have Durant who plays the same SF position as JG, that trade may never have gone down. The Thunder had a big three in Durant, Hardin and Westbrook. They needed a center and they did not have to worry about finding a replacement for Jeff Green.

Trading Jeff Green because he is not that ultimate go to guy...that guy that can put up 25-30 a night on a consistent basis is simply not a very good reason to trade Jeff Green unless that is what you are trading to get.

I really doubt that danny would move Green unless he had a young and promising SF to take his place.

Danny is focused on acquiring a center. That is what we miss the most. You could see it last night against the Spurs and every night when the Celtics play against a team with a legit center.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Report: If you want Rajon Rondo or Jeff Green then Celtics want a lot in return Empty Re: Report: If you want Rajon Rondo or Jeff Green then Celtics want a lot in return

Post by Sam Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Dboss,

Boy, ain't your final sentence the absolute truth. I wish I thought there were a good chance of getting a truly high-potential defensive center in the draft. Unfortunately, I think it's a long-shot.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:16 pm

sam wrote:Dboss,

Boy, ain't your final sentence the absolute truth.  I wish I thought there were a good chance of getting a truly high-potential defensive center in the draft.  Unfortunately, I think it's a long-shot.

Sam

Sam I think we could get a center in the draft (to develop) and that is the problem right there. I think our experience with the Fab Melo's of the world has soured our disposition for developing the big guy. But if the potential is truly there (the guy can rebound and defend but has no offense) I would settle for that.

Actually i think we need more than a center. We need 2 centers. One who can play now and one that can get 2-3 years to develop like a Perkins.

Last night Sully was getting some grief from Tommy because he could not contain Timmy. Not really fair to Sully.

Also, it seems that as soon as I concluded that KO does not have it, he comes out with several very productive game at both ends of the court.

He is like the little engine that realized he could...i think i can i think i can...i know i can..

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:13 pm

SULLY WAS SICK!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Dboss, great description of Olynyk. I was in exactly the same place as you in terms of my concerns about his true upside and my happy amazement of his metamorphosis in the past two games. I could have attributed his success in the first game at least partly to the quality of the competition. But he really sat me up straight in the most recent game. I couldn't be more delighted, and I can't help but wonder how important it might be that it happened before the trading deadline.

I think it's very important that they get the center for the future a.s.a.p. for the simple reason that I don't want the rest of the team to get used to playing without a balanced deck and wallowing in mediocrity. As far as a backup center, that's also important. But I believe they're easier to come by, and Sully can fill in nicely at that spot in the near future. I don't want it to become a lifetime part of Sully's job description though because I want him playing from a position of strength (literally and figuratively) sooner rather than later.

So here's a question for you. Let's allow ourselves—just for a minute—to get a little overly giddy about Olynyk's future. Is there anyone else currently on the team who you think could turn into the next success story a la Sully and (in the best of all worlds) Kelly? Could it be Johnson? Green? Bayless? Vitor? Pressey? The leprechaun?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:00 am

LET'S GET BACK TO THE ARTICLE.

This looks to me as "Posturing & Propaganda" by other GM's looking to pick Danny's pocket by down playing the value of Celtic players that are in potential play in a trade. 

It's the oldest game in the book.  If you want to marginalize an opponent and lower his/her value in the eyes of others ........you knock your opponent in whatever way is deemed necessary to try to strengthen your position in the eyes of other.  In other words, if you put out enough Bull Shxt......some people will begin to believe it!

This is exactly what is happening here. Try to knock down the value of Celtic assets by putting out this garbage about the value of Celtic players. To say that Bradley or Green are not worth at least a 1st rounder in my eyes & nose....smells of what I described above. 

Mr. GM show me the average 1st rounder who hopes to achieve the following:

Averaging 16.4ppg (Green) or 14.3ppg (Bradley) and be one of the best defensive players in the league.

Ya, I thought so...............stick all this talk into a trash compactor and hit the on switch!   Enough of the psychological crap!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down