Olynyk Excited to take part in Rising Stars Challenge

4 posters

Go down

Olynyk Excited to take part in Rising Stars Challenge Empty Olynyk Excited to take part in Rising Stars Challenge

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:04 pm

Olynyk excited to take part in Rising Stars Challenge
February 13, 2014, 4:45 pm

Olynyk Excited to take part in Rising Stars Challenge Byline-blakely-cdc

BOSTON — Kelly Olynyk didn't know what all the fuss was about.

The Celtics were in New York preparing to play the New York Knicks on Jan. 28, with the NFL's Super Bowl in E. Rutherford, N.J. between Seattle and Denver, less than a week away.

"They were telling us on the way in, there's so much Super Bowl traffic," Olynyk recalled which prompted him to respond, "'Wait, the game's not for another (five) days!'"

The Canadian big man saw first-hand how big a deal that was, which has made him even more prepared and excited about this weekend in New Orleans where he will be a member of the NBA's Rising Stars Challenge game on Friday.

Olynyk will be joined by Celtics teammate Jared Sullinger on the "Team (Chris) Webber" squad.

"It'll be fun," said Olynyk who added, "especially having Sully there."

Sullinger has been a starter for the Celtics most of this season, so his selection did not come as a surprise. But Olynyk's inclusion was not expected -- certainly not by Olynyk.

While he has put up decent numbers as a rookie (6.9 points, 4.7 rebounds per game), he also missed three weeks with an ankle injury that as it turned out, was not as big a hindrance to him being selected as one might imagine.

"I thought that would definitely hurt my chances," Olynyk said of his sprained ankle injury. "Somehow or someone, thought I was doing a good job."

Olynyk has been doing just that of late, tallying back-to-back double-doubles scoring and rebounding for the first time in his career.

Sullinger believes that Olynyk will not only play well, but he'll be the game's MVP.

"The past two games, the way he's been playing ... confidence means everything in the world in basketball," Sullinger said. "And so the way he has been playing, I don't see nobody stopping him down there."

Olynyk is still a work in progress, but the game is starting to slow down for him.

"Stuff is starting to open up," said Olynyk. "It's not so fast paced or hectic. It's starting to slow down, easier to see what's open and to see what the defense is giving you. After being here a while, you realize that people are just stunting or doing little things to give the impression they're there. You start to recognize that stuff."

But by no means has he gotten to a point where he or the Celtics are satisfied.

"He's going to have more ups and downs this year," Danny Ainge, Boston's president of basketball operations, told CSNNE.com. "So is Jared, so is Avery (Bradley). That's sort of the nature of the game. Even great players, stars have their ups and downs. We're happy where they are and how they are progressing."

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm glad Kelly is excited about being in New Orleans (I sure as hell would be too, for any reason or excuse) but I highlighted the part that was truly exciting to me.  Having the game slow down is key, absolutely key, to development.  As I said on the Post Spurs Thread, IF Kelly has turned a corner, that is a big glimmer and having the game slow down for his brain is Step One.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Olynyk Excited to take part in Rising Stars Challenge Empty Re: Olynyk Excited to take part in Rising Stars Challenge

Post by Sam Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Hope he has fun. It's a great city.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Olynyk Excited to take part in Rising Stars Challenge Empty Re: Olynyk Excited to take part in Rising Stars Challenge

Post by k_j_88 Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Just a note, but Kelly and Sully are playing pretty well in the challenge.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:17 pm

right they sure are

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 pm

WOW one handed old school hook shot by Sully!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 pm

nobody can keep Drummond off the boards

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Drummond has 25 rebounds...

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down