Celtics' Grousbeck endorses Rondo, excited about team future

3 posters

Go down

Celtics' Grousbeck endorses Rondo, excited about team future Empty Celtics' Grousbeck endorses Rondo, excited about team future

Post by 112288 Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:25 am

BOSTON.COM

By Gary Washburn, Globe Staff

It’s been a transition year not only for first-year Celtics coach Brad Stevens, president of basketball operations Danny Ainge and a slew of new players and even the veterans, as well as it has been a methodical conversion from era for co-owner Wyc Grousbeck.

In mid-March, Grousbeck is generally watching his team prepare for a deep playoff run. This year, they are preparing for what is expected to be an active offseason and draft lottery. June and July will indeed be the real Celtics season, the period when they officially build back toward respectability.

It’s been difficult for the competitive Grousbeck to watch consistent losses, focus on development more than victories, cross his fingers for a favorable lottery pick rather than watch his skilled squad crush playoff opponents as they did the past six years.

“I think since 2007, we knew this year was coming,” said Grousbeck, whose team is 22-42 entering Friday’s game against the Phoenix Suns. “We didn’t know when it would be, probably thought it would be before 2014. The fact that Brad is here and Danny is at the top of his game makes it easier for me as CEO to get through this year because I think we have the pieces in place for our next run as a contender. If we have our coach, our GM, a bunch of young kids and a bunch of draft picks, so I feel like we’re better off.

“First of all, we had a longer run than I thought with the Big Three (Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen) and I think we’re a little bit better off this year in looking forward than we could have. But, I have to be honest, it’s been a tough year.”

Sensing his Big Three could no longer compete with the likes of the Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers, Ainge traded Pierce and Garnett on draft pick to the Brooklyn Nets for four players and three first-round picks. The Celtics have nine first-round picks over the next five years and are consistently playing four first- or second-year players, including forward Jared Sullinger and rookie Kelly Olynyk.

“Our first shot at ownership starting in 2003, we had never experienced success, we had to build it up from the bottom,” Grousbeck told the Globe. “But now we’re spoiled. We’ve had three or four true championship-contending teams. We’re totally spoiled. I’m spoiled. Our fans are spoiled. And now we’re not in that position. I will say the fan support has been extraordinary. The attendance, the enthusiasm and the support for this project has been better than I thought it would be. They’ve been great.”

The Celtics are 12th in the NBA in attendance, averaging just over 18,000 per game, filling 96.7 percent of TD Garden on a nightly basis. The fan base has been subjected to some painful moments this season but Grousbeck is thrilled with the loyalty.

“We have all been spoiled by the great run of success for that all Boston teams have had and I’m really appreciative of the fans for hanging in there with us and for finding things to cheer about,” he said. “Playing hard for a new coach, watching rookies develop, welcome back Paul and KG. We’re finding things to cheer about this year that aren’t necessarily wins. And that shows the devotion of the Boston fan.”

With two of likely the top 20 picks in this year’s potentially fruitful draft, Celtics faithful has been early anticipating the June 26 draft as well as free agency. Grousbeck is no different.

“I’ve got confidence that with all these picks and these young guys and our willingness to spend money, that we can get there,” he said. “We’re a patient group. We will take a multiyear plan if that’s what it takes.

“But I think this June there could be some fireworks. I think this June we’ve got so many pieces to this puzzle that we might be able to shake loose a real piece or two for this team going forward. So I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later.”

Of course, the only holdover from the 2008 championship team is point guard Rajon Rondo, whose contract expires after the 2014-15 season and has been the subject of trade rumors the past two years. Grousbeck did not hide his admiration for the four-time All-Star.

“He’s loved right here, from my seat on the court,” Grousbeck said. “I love the guy. I love his championship ring when he was the young kid. I love his growth. It reminds me of Paul Pierce. Growing from the moments in his younger days and making progress towards being an all-time Celtic and a leader. I am always hopeful that a guy like that is going to stay around.”

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Grousbeck endorses Rondo, excited about team future Empty Re: Celtics' Grousbeck endorses Rondo, excited about team future

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:33 am

“But I think this June there could be some fireworks. I think this June we’ve got so many pieces to this puzzle that we might be able to shake loose a real piece or two for this team going forward. So I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later.”

Fireworks in June, huh?  That's before free agent signings, which means trades. An upgrade at a key position (center?) might make signing free agents easier.

After years of wandering through the wilderness with the odious Paul Gaston and peacock John Y Brown I think we're really, really lucky to have Wyc and the rest of this ownership group.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Grousbeck endorses Rondo, excited about team future Empty Re: Celtics' Grousbeck endorses Rondo, excited about team future

Post by 112288 Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:54 am

Bob,

I think you may have touch on something (time frame) that Wyc wanted to keep quiet (June) and throw a head fake to the rest of the league by saying July.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Nice to have an ownership group that stays involved.  This bunch are fans first, and that makes for motivated owners.  I'm sure they're ready to wisely commit the needed resources and back management in its attempt to build the roster as talent becomes available.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 pm

http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/nba/story/_/id/10611547/rajon-rondo-appreciates-boston-celtics-owner-wyc-grousbeck-support

Rondo appreciates Wyc's words
Updated: March 15, 2014, 2:41 AM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- After the trade deadline passed in late February, Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo admitted that the rumors he swirled in bothered him this season.

But even before he could collect himself from the trade whispers, Rondo found himself under siege for his decision to skip a trip to Sacramento and celebrate his birthday in Los Angeles while knowing he was not scheduled to play on the second night of a back-to-back.

As all the noise finally died down recently, Boston Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck, one of Rondo's most staunch supporters, came out to publicly champion Rondo as the current and future leader of this franchise.

Celtics' Grousbeck endorses Rondo, excited about team future Nba_a_raj1_cr_300x300
AP Photo/Winslow Townson
Rajon Rondo has the support of his employers, but only time will tell whether he remains a part of the Celtics' long-term future.

Rondo admitted after Friday's loss to the Phoenix Suns that the support resonated with him.

"It means a lot, especially coming from the head guy," said Rondo. "With all the rumors swirling, the criticism that I was having throughout the past couple weeks, he stuck his neck out. He didn't have to say anything, but he did. I've talked to Wyc since then. Everything is what it's supposed to be."

Earlier this week, Grousbeck raved about Rondo while reflecting on the 2013-14 season in an interview with the Boston Globe.

"[Rondo is] loved right here, from my seat on the court," said Grousbeck. "I love the guy. I love his championship ring when he was the young kid. I love his growth. It reminds me of Paul Pierce. Growing from the moments in his younger days and making progress toward being an all-time Celtic and a leader. I am always hopeful that a guy like that is going to stay around."

Rondo will enter the final year of his contract next season. While he's said he sees the potential for a long-term future in Boston, he's also expressed a desire to test unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2015.

The Celtics have a difficult choice to make. If Rondo does not desire to explore an extension this offseason -- and the prospects of a bigger deal and a potential no-trade clause will entice him to wait -- then Boston brass must decide whether they want to risk losing Rondo without compensation if they can't lock him up down the road.

Owning Rondo's rights, Boston can still offer him the most money when he reaches unrestricted free agency and, even if he desired to move on, would have the sign-and-trade route to bring back compensation.

Rondo was asked if he feels more secure about his future in Boston after reading what Grousbeck said.

"I mean, we had a dinner at the beginning of the year and Wyc expressed how he felt about me," said Rondo. "I don't think he's a liar. I know he's not a liar. He didn't have to tell me anything. Him and I, we spoke, and what he said recently hasn't changed."

For now, both sides seem to be content to let Rondo work his way back from a nearly yearlong absence due to ACL surgery and cross those bridges as they come.

Rondo, named captain of this year's squad upon his mid-January return, has shown glimpses of his old self in recent weeks. But he endured one of his poorer outings on Friday. He finished with eight points on 4-of-15 shooting to go along with eight rebounds and five assists. The Celtics shot a mere 30.9 percent overall (29-of-94), including just 14.3 percent beyond the 3-point arc. Rondo finished minus-18 in plus/minus over 34:23 in an 87-80 loss to the Suns.

Celtics coach Brad Stevens was about as disappointed after the game as we've seen him, expressing dismay at Boston's lack of late-game poise, which allowed the Suns to score the game's final seven points in the final minute.

"We just didn't do a good job executing the plays down the stretch," said Rondo.

As frustrating as nights like this have been during a rebuilding season, the Celtics envision a brighter future. Grousbeck noted in that same interview that he sees potential for "fireworks" this offseason.

The ability for Boston to light those fuses could be important in keeping win-craving Rondo around.

The Celtics have plenty of assets, headlined by two first-round picks in June's draft (part of a surplus of as many as 10 first-round picks over the next five years). The team also has Keith Bogans' nonguaranteed contract, a couple of trade exceptions (including one worth $10.3 million from the Nets trade) and money coming off the books (only six players have guaranteed salaries next season).

With the right moves -- and maybe a touch of lottery luck -- Boston could be back in the mix next year, particularly in the dilapidated East. It seems if Grousbeck has his way, Rondo will be a key part of Boston's next championship-contending squad.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down