Tanks For The Memories: M.L. Carr Reflects On '97 Debacle And The Celtics Future

3 posters

Go down

Tanks For The Memories:  M.L. Carr Reflects On '97 Debacle And The Celtics Future Empty Tanks For The Memories: M.L. Carr Reflects On '97 Debacle And The Celtics Future

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:39 am

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/04/tanks_for_the_memories_ml_carr_reflects_on_97_debacle

Tanks for the memories: ML Carr reflects on ‘97 debacle, Celtics future

Tanks For The Memories:  M.L. Carr Reflects On '97 Debacle And The Celtics Future 040114carr1
LOW EXPECTATIONS: M.L. Carr, who guided the Celtics to a 15-67 record in the 1996-97 season, can relate to the task of current coach Brad Stevens.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014
By:  Steve Bulpett

M.L. Carr knows the feeling of purposely running a ship aground. He was at the helm in 1996-97 as both coach and director of basketball operations, guiding the Celtics to a 15-67 record and by far the most chances in the Tim Duncan Sweepstakes, as the NBA draft lottery was then known.

He remembers the season as pure hell, a feeling that only grew when the ping-pong balls conspired to send Duncan to San Antonio.

But where you may think Carr is having cold-sweat flashbacks as he watches the current Celts lose their way into a higher draft pick, he is actually quite bullish on these Bostonians. There may be no Duncan-like prize at the bottom of this Cracker Jack box, but M.L. likes the way the C’s are positioned after trading away Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett for first-round draft picks.

Sitting on a couch in a hotel concierge lounge recently, he explained the sources of his optimism.

“I like three very distinct things that I see with the Celtics,” said Carr, now a businessman who may yet find his way back into the sporting realm. “One is having Brad Stevens as coach. Brad has got a long NBA life ahead of him. He’s young, he’s smart and he’s been successful at the college level.

“I think he started out with the trust of Danny (Ainge) and now he’s got the trust of Celtic Nation. He’s in a position to see this from where it is today moving forward. He’s got the perfect demeanor, and I wouldn’t have guessed that. Very few college coaches can come up here and do what he’s already done. And he isn’t inheriting a great team. He’s getting a team that’s at its very lowest level since I was there.”

Carr then moved on to Stevens’ boss.

“The second thing I like is that you can never question Danny, because Danny always figures out how to get to the top,” he said. “You’ve just got to give him patience. If you do that, he’ll get you there. Just look at all the things he’s done in his career. He’s always successful. It may not be by the book. It may not be what they teach you in school. But in the end, he’ll get results, because Danny’s a results-driven person.

“The decision he made with Brad, I would never have taken that chance. But then you look at Brad and you say, oh, my gosh, this kid’s got tremendous upside as a coach. He communicates well. I can see his passion. He’s as eager as his players are to learn.

“And you just don’t bet against Danny. Danny will figure it out. There should be a great draft no matter where they finish and how they do in the lottery, but you also have to think there’s going to be some maneuvering. I’m sure Danny’s working it.”

Juggling a salad and business calls and questions as he prepared for another meeting, Carr then touched on those most likely to be reading this story.

“The third thing the Celtics have is something that some teams might not have in a situation like this — the fans,” he said. “The Boston fans realize where the team is. They’ve been through it. I think they’ll be patient with the process. They’ve seen Danny take it to a championship. They saw him make some tough decisions this year. Remember when we had the original Big Three? It was hard letting go. But Danny did what was best for the team, and it ended up working out well for the players.

“The reality of it is that this is not a five-year rebuilding program. This is going to be done pretty quick. I really believe that. He’s got the coach in place and you’ve got Danny in place. Now you need things to break right. A lot depends on the pick and the maneuvering. The ping-pong balls play a part, but I think they have the other things in place.”

It’s now a matter of making sure none of the valuable pieces gets broken or scratched in the move from contender to lottery team and back.

“A lot of times when you’re going through what you are now, it has a negative effect on the players that are going to go with you to the next level,” Carr said. “You wonder the impact it’s going to have on a guy like (Rajon) Rondo. It’s critical for him to know he’s a part of what they see happening. But because of what Danny’s done, it would be smart of Rondo and his agent to look at that and know the Celtics are going to do the right thing.”

Doing the right thing those many years ago has left a mark on M.L. Carr. He looks basically the same, but the scars can be heard in his voice.

“When you’re in Brad’s position, you want to win every friggin’ game you’re in,” he said. “Danny’s position is different. He’s trying to bring the team back. The problem is, I had both roles. I was on the bench as a coach thinking I should probably try to win every game, but I can’t because I don’t have the players and the guy calling the shots is not going to give me the players to do it. It was all wrapped up in me.

“My last year with the Celtics, in terms of running the team and coaching it, I’ve never done anything that tough in sports ever. Ever. Ever. But it was the right thing. It was hard, but it was the right thing. For me, in terms of the decisions I was making, in the quietness of my home or in the wee hours of the night, you wrestle with some of the decisions. But you had to do what you thought was right for the organization. Sometimes when I thought things were right, it was going against the actual DNA you have. It was tough. I didn’t know how tough it was going to be, and it was brutal. When I went out and got a Nate Driggers and a Thomas Hamilton, that wasn’t for the best interest of the coach. That was for the organization.”

Carr thought back to Rick Fox and Antoine Walker and David Wesley and Dee Brown.

“Guys would get upset about not being in the game, which is natural in the NBA,” he said. “But it got a little bit beyond that many times. I was always communicating with them and saying, ‘This is a long-term play. I’m trying to get you some help here.’ They’d understand it, but then when the game started it would be different.

“You’ve got players there who you are hoping to be a part of what you’re doing going forward, and you’re hoping to get Tim Duncan to go with them. If that works out, you’ve got championship written all over it. But the guys are looking at their jobs today. I’d say, ‘The goal is to get Tim Duncan here. You guys are going to have a great ride. I had my Tim Duncan. His name was Larry Bird. I had Robert Parish. I got my ride. I’m trying to help you get your ride. So I’m going to need you to bear with me, work with me, come to practice and work hard, give me a great attitude.’

“But,” Carr conceded, pushing away the end of his salad, “it was brutal.”

He can only hope Ainge has an easier time freeing these Celtics from the shoal.

bob
MY NOTE:  Key takeaway from this, in my opinion?  Never bet against Danny.  I sure don't.  I don't know what levers he's pulling behind the curtain, but I am wholly and totally convinced he is and he knows what he needs and where he needs to go.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Tanks For The Memories:  M.L. Carr Reflects On '97 Debacle And The Celtics Future Empty Re: Tanks For The Memories: M.L. Carr Reflects On '97 Debacle And The Celtics Future

Post by swish Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 am

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9434966/for-boston-celtics-tanking-likely-necessary-never-easy

I forgot that Carr was the general manager,as well as coach, of that 1996-97 club. Above article adds more detail to Carr's role on that team. Here you had a coach that wanted to win today and a general mgr commissioned with the job of looking to the future. WOW!

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Tanks For The Memories:  M.L. Carr Reflects On '97 Debacle And The Celtics Future Empty Re: Tanks For The Memories: M.L. Carr Reflects On '97 Debacle And The Celtics Future

Post by kdp59 Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:42 am

well ....I never felt Carr was a very good coach or GM frankly.

while it might be nice to have some revisionist history...I believe Carr was still GM when Pittino was hired.

player moves

E. Montross drafted #9
D. Wesley-FA
D. Wilkins-FA
P. Ellison-FA
Fired Chris Ford as HC
D. Barros-FA
D. Smith-FA

he did draft A. Walker and R. Mercer to his credit.

But he was lousy as the head of Basketball operations and GM , IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down