Lex Nihil Novi - Keith Van Horn Best Rookie Since Jordan?

3 posters

Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - Keith Van Horn Best Rookie Since Jordan? Empty Lex Nihil Novi - Keith Van Horn Best Rookie Since Jordan?

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Lex Nihil Novi - Keith Van Horn Best Rookie Since Jordan? 18s3kfsd8x2usjpg

October 16, 1997

Pitino said he has a 7-footer he wants to add to the Celtics roster. He did not reveal the player's name and said he is not sure if the recently waived big man will join the team later this week. He did say he will be looking to make several minor decisions in the next couple of days . . .Nets forward Jayson Williams said Keith Van Horn, whom the Celtics coveted, is the best rookie to come into the NBA since Michael Jordan. "I'm serious," Williams said. "This kid is the reason I'd want to stay around here." Pitino said that with two more years of basketball experience, Mercer and Chauncey Billups will easily be at the level of Van Horn and Tim Duncan . . . Nets veteran Michael Cage, who played with Cedric Maxwell with the Clippers, said Maxwell and other verterans used to tease him about his strict diet. "They were like, 'Are you from the 'hood or are you some experiment?' " Cage said. The forward, who was briefly a Celtic last summer, is known for his affinity for wheat grass and vegetable juices. He hasn't missed a game in eight years . . . During one break, the public address announcer mistakenly referred to Mercer as a "Cat" rather than a Celtic.

bob
MY NOTE:  Van Horn was the #2 pick, behind Tim Duncan and before Chauncey Billups, in the 1997 draft.  Other players in that draft? Antonio Daniels at #4, Tony Battie at 5, Mercer at 6 and Adonal Foyle at 8.  Of those players only Duncan and Billups were worth their picks.  I don't like the draft.  I'd rather pay a premium for a proven NBA player.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - Keith Van Horn Best Rookie Since Jordan? Empty Re: Lex Nihil Novi - Keith Van Horn Best Rookie Since Jordan?

Post by Sloopjohnb Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:45 am

Absolutely agree. And Billups took about five years and four teams before he established himself as a star.

The draft is dicier than ever with the the top propspects one year out of high school.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - Keith Van Horn Best Rookie Since Jordan? Empty Re: Lex Nihil Novi - Keith Van Horn Best Rookie Since Jordan?

Post by tjmakz Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:15 pm

bobheckler wrote:Lex Nihil Novi - Keith Van Horn Best Rookie Since Jordan? 18s3kfsd8x2usjpg

October 16, 1997

Pitino said he has a 7-footer he wants to add to the Celtics roster. He did not reveal the player's name and said he is not sure if the recently waived big man will join the team later this week. He did say he will be looking to make several minor decisions in the next couple of days . . .Nets forward Jayson Williams said Keith Van Horn, whom the Celtics coveted, is the best rookie to come into the NBA since Michael Jordan. "I'm serious," Williams said. "This kid is the reason I'd want to stay around here." Pitino said that with two more years of basketball experience, Mercer and Chauncey Billups will easily be at the level of Van Horn and Tim Duncan . . . Nets veteran Michael Cage, who played with Cedric Maxwell with the Clippers, said Maxwell and other verterans used to tease him about his strict diet. "They were like, 'Are you from the 'hood or are you some experiment?' " Cage said. The forward, who was briefly a Celtic last summer, is known for his affinity for wheat grass and vegetable juices. He hasn't missed a game in eight years . . . During one break, the public address announcer mistakenly referred to Mercer as a "Cat" rather than a Celtic.

bob
MY NOTE:  Van Horn was the #2 pick, behind Tim Duncan and before Chauncey Billups, in the 1997 draft.  Other players in that draft? Antonio Daniels at #4, Tony Battie at 5, Mercer at 6 and Adonal Foyle at 8.  Of those players only Duncan and Billups were worth their picks.  I don't like the draft.  I'd rather pay a premium for a proven NBA player.

Thank you for agreeing with the Lakers mentality toward the draft.
The Lakers have always been willing to give up draft picks for solid contributors.
Minnesota, Sacramento, Charlotte, Washington, etc have had so many top 7 lottery picks over the last 10 years and they are all just somewhat competitive.

Forget about building around late 1st round picks. That just doesn't happen.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:42 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Lex Nihil Novi - Keith Van Horn Best Rookie Since Jordan? 18s3kfsd8x2usjpg

October 16, 1997

bob

Thank you for agreeing with the Lakers mentality toward the draft.
The Lakers have always been willing to give up draft picks for solid contributors.
Minnesota, Sacramento, Charlotte, Washington, etc have had so many top 7 lottery picks over the last 10 years and they are all just somewhat competitive.

Forget about building around late 1st round picks. That just doesn't happen.

TJ,

Everybody builds around first round picks and second round picks. They just don't necessarily have to be YOUR picks. In the case of these two teams, they both have two starters that were drafted by them (if you consider Al Horford a starter, even though he's out injured now).

That's the reasoning behind draft BPA (Best Player Available). He might not be what you need and may not fit into your system, but he'll fit into somebody's and that will get you someone you do like in return. If you draft dogs, then you're stuck with a dog.

I'm sure, if I were to do this for the Spurs we'd find even more first round picks BY THEM on their team.

Indiana Pacers

Starters:
Paul George - 10th (Pacers)
Roy Hibbert - 17th (Raptors)
Lance Stephenson - 40th (Pacers)
George Hill - 27th (Spurs)
David West - 18th (Hornets)

Bench:
Luis Scola - 56th (Spurs)
Evan Turner - 2nd (Sixers)
CJ Watson - Undrafted
Ian Mahinmi - 28th (Spurs)

Atlanta Hawks

Starters:
Kyle Korver - 51st (Nets)
Paul Millsap - 47st (Jazz)
Jeff Teague - 17th (Hawks)
Elton Brand - 1st (Bulls)
DeMarre Carroll - 27th (Grizzlies)

Bench:
Pero Antic - Undrafted
Lou Williams - 45th (Sixers)
Shelvin Mack - 34th (Wizards)

Al Horford - 3rd (not playing, but a key member of their team), (Hawks)

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down