Phil Pressey Seems Like A Good Fit For The Celtics

2 posters

Go down

Phil Pressey Seems Like A Good Fit For The Celtics Empty Phil Pressey Seems Like A Good Fit For The Celtics

Post by bobheckler Thu May 08, 2014 10:50 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/5/8/5693344/phil-pressey-seems-like-a-great-fit-in-boston

Phil Pressey seems like a great fit in Boston
By Jeff Clark  @celticsblog on May 8 2014, 6:00a 11

Phil Pressey Seems Like A Good Fit For The Celtics 485147525.0_standard_709.0
Jared Wickerham
Have we finally found the backup point guard we've been looking for?

Phil Pressey was undrafted.  That has to be the starting point of his evaluation.  He was overlooked and passed by.  At 5'11" and 175 lbs. you can understand why he might have been missed.  He's not a particularly good shooter and as the season got started he was buried on the bench behind several 2 guards masquerading as points.

Yet there he was at the end of the season, the last guard standing, filling in for Rajon Rondo and doing a mighty find job of it.

Report card: Phil Pressey - Boston Celtics Blog - ESPN Boston

Over the final six games of the season, Pressey averaged 7 points, 8.7 assists, 3 rebounds and 1.3 steals over 29.8 minutes per game. He shot 40 percent from the field during that span. Most impressively, Boston's often-lethargic offense averaged a whopping 110.4 points per 100 possessions with Pressey on the floor during those six games (only offset by Boston's defensive indifference late in the year). In four starts during that six-game span, Pressey averaged 10 points, 11.8 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 2 steals per game.

If you aren't a superstar player and you want to stick around in this league, you have to have a superpower.  A specialty skill that you do better than most people in the world.  Phil Pressey's superpower is passing and he's really fun to watch when he's feeling it.

Of course he has his limitations, but he's also got the ultimate role model and teacher on his team in Rondo.  Who better to explain to someone how to create angles and space even when a defense isn't respecting your shot?  Who better to teach him pace and patience and preparation?

Pressey and Rondo both speak the language of passing but Rondo is a professor while Pressey is still just a grad student.  Phil talked often about how much he would pester Rondo with questions, soaking in whatever knowledge he could get.  Rondo seemed to love playing the role of teacher and defacto assistant coach.

Going forward it seems like it could be an ideal fit as well.  You always want the best possible players, but sometimes you can have too many players demanding time at certain positions.  A fully healthy Rondo is going to be playing heavy minutes, so Pressey really only has to be ready and capable in short spurts unless Coach Stevens wants to mix things up with a 2 point guard lineup from time to time.  Assuming Avery Bradley is back and healthy (not the most reliable assumptions at the moment but still...) Pressey can fill in as a 3rd or 4th guard.

When the opponents are tired of chasing Rondo around, Pressey can come in as a pace changer.  He seems to work best when he turns on the jets and takes it right at the defense, forcing them to adjust in transition and opening lanes for Phil's teammates on the break.

I'm such a sucker for a pass-first point guard that I can't help but root for the little guy.  He is a great value in that he cost us no picks and has a salary that is about as low as it gets in this league (with team options).  I've always found it frustrating when Ainge filled in the backup point guard spot with yet another converted shooting guard or combo guard that really was just a short off guard.

Pressey isn't likely to be a star in the league, but he can be a nice rotation player.  He knows how to find his teammates and he is learning how to run the offense from one of the best in the business.  Here's hoping that we'll see Pressey continue to learn and grow in Boston for years to come.

bob
MY NOTE:  If we draft 6'6" Exum then Pressey may be done.  I like Phil, he plays gritty defense for a tiny guy and he is already an NBA floor general (QUITE impressive given that is the position with probably the longest learning curve) but his shooting is execrable.  Yeah, he did well the last few games, shooting-wise, but he needs to be able to do more than just hit open 3s.  I think we know what Stevens' exit interview with Phil was like.  On the other hand, if we do draft Exum that might just push Phil down to a very affordable 3rd on the depth chart (assuming Exum is all he is cracked up to be) and will move Bayless permanently over to 2, which is where he probably should be anyway.  The offense flowed and scored when Phil was running the show.  I wonder what the defensive numbers with him in look like earlier in the season before that "defensive indifference"?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Phil Pressey Seems Like A Good Fit For The Celtics Empty Re: Phil Pressey Seems Like A Good Fit For The Celtics

Post by Sam Thu May 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Good. Rondo can teach Phil how to create angles in the halfcourt, and Phil can teach Rondo how to push the ball.

Without ever seeing him play, I've felt good about what I've read concerning Exum. But one reason Phil's a good fit is that Rondo doesn't feel threatened as the starting PG. I'm not so sure that would be the case with Exum aboard. Also, would Exum be as content to play second fiddle to Rondo as Phil seems to be?

On the other hand, I'm led to believe that Exum can play a very fine SG. With the signing of Avery no sure thing, as well as the possibility that he could be signed and traded, Exum could represent insurance at two positions.

The one huge advantage Exum would have over Phil (I can't believe Exum would be as good a ball-handler) would be height for the PG position. I'm not sure Phil (much like Avery) will ever realize that, when he drives to the hoop, the chances are great that his shot will be blocked. And, of course, there's the height disadvantage on defense too. Both Avery and Phil try to mitigate that disadvantage by playing up and even under their defensive assignments; but that's far from a panacea.

It's like living inside a grandfather's clock. The pendulum swings back and forth. Here's an advantage. But, on the other hand, here's a disadvantage. But sometime in the next few months, the clock will strike 12. Will Phil and/or Avery turn into pumpkins? Who knows?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Phil Pressey Seems Like A Good Fit For The Celtics Empty Re: Phil Pressey Seems Like A Good Fit For The Celtics

Post by bobheckler Thu May 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Here's the link to Exum's page at draftexpress. I'm watching the first video, the scouting report, again. It's 16 minutes long.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dante-Exum-36198/

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down