Weeding Out The Celtics' Interest In Sanders

2 posters

Go down

Weeding Out The Celtics' Interest In Sanders Empty Weeding Out The Celtics' Interest In Sanders

Post by bobheckler Wed May 28, 2014 2:58 pm

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/weeding-out-celtics-interest-bucks-sanders

Weeding out Celtics' interest in Bucks' Sanders
May 28, 2014, 11:30 am

Weeding Out The Celtics' Interest In Sanders Byline-blakely-cdc

BOSTON — With the No. 6 pick in next month's NBA draft, the Boston Celtics are not going to get a rim-protecting big man.

With so few available by way of free agency, swinging a trade for one seems to be the most likely route for Boston.

But if there are so few and they are so in demand, why would anyone trade 'em?

Usually it's due to a lack of production on the court, too much time in the court of law or someone who has run afoul of the NBA's rules.

Which brings us to Milwaukee center Larry Sanders, a rim-protecting big man who is expected to generate some trade interest this summer from a number of teams.

Just two years ago, Sanders was one of the most improved players in the NBA. He was a near double-double (9.8 points, 9.5 rebounds in 2012-2013) without having a lot of plays called for him.

But just as important, he swatted away 2.8 shots per game, the kind of production that's rewarded sooner rather than later.

Milwaukee jumped at the chance to lock him up long-term as both sides quickly came to an agreement on a four-year, $44 million deal that kicks in this fall.

"That was my main focus, my family and make sure they are taken care of," Sanders told CSNNE.com shortly after signing his new deal. "What they offered me was more money than I thought I would ever see in my life. So I'm just grateful for it and that I was able to get the extension, not knowing what the summer was going to entail."

Good call on Sanders' part to jump at that deal, because there's no telling if he would be able to land a comparable offer this summer after what soon became a tumultuous 2013-2014 season.

On Nov. 3, Sanders got into a bar fight which ended with him suffering a right thumb injury that required surgery. He was sidelined for eight weeks.

And on Feb. 8, an inadvertent elbow by Houston's James Harden to Sanders' right eye, resulting in yet another surgical procedure that ended his season after just 23 games, a career low.

Oh, did we mention the five-game suspension he served at the end of last season for a third positive test for marijuana?

So as much as the Celtics could use a player with his talent, the burning question for Celtics' brass is a simple one.

Is he worth it?

The Celtics have been rumored to be among the teams interested in trading for Houston's Omer Asik.

Acquiring Asik would likely involve Boston having to give up more assets than they would in a deal for Sanders, plus Asik comes with a $15 million salary this year.

But when you look at how each performed defensively during the 2012-2013 season, the last year when both played significant minutes, it's clear that either player would be an upgrade defensively for the Celtics at the center position which was manned by committee this past season.

In 2012-2013, Asik started all 82 games and established himself as one of the best rim-protectors in the game in addition to averaging a double-double of 10.1 points and 11.7 rebounds - all better than Sanders' numbers that season.

But let's be mindful that this call will be made by Danny Ainge who is no stranger to taking a chance on a player who has had issues in other stops along the NBA circuit.

But Sanders' issues are much deeper than player-coach or player-team dynamics.

Having tested positive for marijuana for a third time (that's what triggered the five-game suspension in April) would obviously require a certain level of care and sensitivity by any team to try and ensure that Sanders gets whatever help he needs off the court as well as on it.

But the concern with Sanders is even with all the services one could want, there's a pretty good chance that he'll be suspended again for using marijuana.

And considering he's just at the start of his new, long-term deal, making a play for Sanders would be a huge, huge gamble on Boston's part.

While the 6-foot-11 center apologized to the Bucks for his five-game suspension, Sanders defended his use of the banned substance.

"I believe in marijuana and the medical side of it. I know what it is if I'm going to use it," Sanders said in an interview with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and nba.com. "I study it and I know the benefits it has. In a lot of ways we've been deprived. You can't really label it with so many other drugs that people can be addicted to and have so many negative effects on your body and your family and your relationships and impairment. This is not the same thing. The stigma is that it's illegal. I hate that. Once this becomes legal, this all will go away. But I understand for my work it's a banned substance. I will deal with the consequences and I apologize again to my fans for that."

So Celtics Nation, is he worth it? Should the Celtics try and make a play for the talented big man, warts and all?

bob
MY NOTE:  All in all, I think the numbers will work out about the same.  Asik will get his $15M next year but, assuming we re-sign him, he'll be at market value (whatever that is).  Sanders is already signed up for $11M.  If their numbers are comparable then that's probably close to what Asik will get.  What irks me is his attitude about marijuana.  It's not the pot itself, I live in a medical marijuana state and when I tell you that everybody has a medical marijuana card except for me I'm not exaggerating by much, it's the "I'm sorry because my agent and the team told me to say that" tone of his apology.  This is not his first run-in with this issue.  If he gets busted on more time he's gone for 10 games and that would be on our watch and he's not sounding like he's especially eager to turn over a fresh leaf.

Asik bitched for a while because he thought he signed with Houston to be the starting center, and then Daryl Morey went out and got Howard.  Then, it seems like he shut up and balled, especially during the playoffs where you didn't hear a word out of him.  So, Asik's problem seems to be a one-off type of thing.  As long as he plays like he should be the starter, and you start him, he's not a problem.  Sanders signs a big contract and then repeatedly screws up.

What would Danny do with a player who refuses to accept the fundamental premise that, right or wrong, he has to toe a line and the team will not tolerate it if he doesn't?  What did he do with Bogans?  What did he do with Telfair after the gun incident in 2007?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Weeding Out The Celtics' Interest In Sanders Empty Re: Weeding Out The Celtics' Interest In Sanders

Post by Sam Wed May 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Pass on Sanders. Not just because he smokes pot but more because he seems to develop his own rules as he goes along. In a sense, so did Dave Cowens, but he seemed to find a way to do it without getting into trouble with the law.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down