sinus007
kdp59
dboss
Sam
k_j_88
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Melo + Love + Rondo = ? Empty Melo + Love + Rondo = ?

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/melo-love-rondo-lets-hope-its-true?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

'Melo + Love + Rondo? Let's hope it's true

June 3, 2014, 3:45 pm

G. Tanguay

I don't know Bert Ramirez of Rappler.com. I don't know his background, nor can I vouch for his credibility. But, boy, I'm sure glad he wrote that the Kevin Love-to-Boston deal is done and Carmelo Anthony is on the Celtics' radar.

Now that's a topic with a lot of meat on the bone.

It's no secret that I've been disappointed with the inconsistent effort of Rajon Rondo. Furthermore, I've never been a fan of Carmelo Anthony. I consider him a one-dimensional player. He’s a gunner. A damn good one, but still a gunner as opposed to a complete player.

Alone, these two players are limited.

But put them with a 25-point, 12-rebound guy like Kevin Love, and you've got something there.

Wyc Grousbeck did say to expect fireworks during the offseason. Maybe, just maybe, this is what he was talking about.

This could work, people. It really could. Rondo would be excited because he'll be playing with legitimate scorers. Carmelo will be playing with a teammate who truly enjoys giving up the ball. Love would just be happy to play on a winning team.

Bert, I hope you’re right.

----

Tanguay is a moron.

But this trio would be an interesting one.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Melo + Love + Rondo = ? Empty Re: Melo + Love + Rondo = ?

Post by Sam Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:31 pm

I know Bert Ramirez, and so do the former members of the Boston.com site. He was an extreely erudite leader among the hearty group of Filipino Celtics fans who were on that site. (I wish I could recall his board name.) Bert wrote very articulate and well-research articles—specializing in the Celtics—for a Filipino sports magazine. I can definitely vouch for his credibility.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:47 am

Sam

I remember Bert.

KJ...Tanguay=Moron

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:45 am

boy...what a hot mess of a team that would be!

fav and Center and I guess Bradley at 2 guard...hope they can guard more than one player at once!

wow!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:42 am

I could actually see this happen.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 am

Tanguay=Moron
Dboss, you're so concise but accurate.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:49 am

Melo + Love + Rondo = Fiction, written as if it were Fact.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:58 pm

I wouldn't necessarily write off this scenario as implausible, simply because this has happened before.

And it does create an intriguing picture:

PG: Rondo
SG: Bradley
SF: Anthony
PF: Love
C: Gortat?

Just saying, that's a good starting 5...

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:12 pm

KJ,
Regardless of getting KL, IMO, to get Asik is easier than Gortat.
But if your "picture" realizes it could bring the team to the Finals.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:39 pm

I don't see where the Traded Player Exception can be used to sign free agents, I only see where they can be used in trades.  That'd be too bad since it would be nice to use the TPE to sign Gortat (and then still trade for Asik, or am I just getting too greedy?).

Gortat's an unrestricted free agent, so all it would take to sign him is money and cap space.  To get Asik you have to give Houston someone they want and probably something they want (e.g. draft picks).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Bob,
I didn't know that Gortat is a FA. My opinion about getting him vs Asik was based on well known Asik's desire to get out of Houston, to be "da man"
BTW, if Celtics get both him and Gortat it'd erase the "d" in the above definition...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:03 pm

I'd be overjoyed if either of them join the Celtics.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:20 pm

You are nice. Tanquay is an idiot. Night in and night out he screams about Rondo being traded. Then he is yelling last night about this mess of a team.
Keep Melo, I just could not see him in a Celtic uniform.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Rosalie, to clarify, I was referring to Asik or Gortat.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:01 pm

Worcester....ll day long the sports reporters have been going on and on about a Rondo, Love, Melo team. That is what I was referring to.
The draft can't come soon enough, it gets so tiring hearing these stories. Of course, I am just as bad because I turn them on and look at sites to see if someone has something worthwhile t listen to!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:09 am

I think they should get Melo and Gortat and Asik and Love and Chris Paul to back up Rondo and Kyle Lowry and keep Sully and Bass and Bradley and Olynyk and....and....

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:54 am

Green
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:17 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/bob-ryan-i-dont-want-carmelo-anthony-0?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:48 pm

My thoughts exactly, did he read my mind?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:39 pm

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/04/dave-cowens-on-gresh-zo-carmelo-on-the-celtics-wouldnt-feel-right/

Dave Cowens On Gresh & Zo: Carmelo On The Celtics Wouldn’t Feel Right
June 4, 2014 2:06 PM

Carmelo Anthony #7 of the New York Knicks complains about a call during a game on March 26, 2014. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

BOSTON (CBS) – Celtics great and Basketball Hall of Famer Dave Cowens called in to 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Gresh & Zolak show and weighed in on Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Love and the future of the Boston Celtics as we approach the NBA draft later this month.

The big news in Celtics land came from over the weekend when Timberwolves power forward Kevin Love was seen frolicking around the city of Boston, even getting a shoutout from David Ortiz on Twitter and stopping to say hi to Rajon Rondo on the street.

The rumor mill is spinning faster than ever, with some even speculating that a deal with the T-Wolves is already in the works.

Dave Cowens, a former power forward himself, talked about Love Wednesday morning.

“Kevin Love is an outstanding player. He’s a solid contributor night in and night out. He has unique skills for a big guy, and I’m most impressed with his ability to rebound in traffic for a guy that’s not really that big. He’s just got a great sense for the ball — kind of like [Jared] Sullinger does, but I think he’s a step above that because he’s got more experience.

“He also has a really solid three-point shot. He’s a good free throw shooter. He’s smart. He knows how to play the game and he really loves what he does. To get Kevin Love would be an excellent pickup. If they decide to keep Rondo then they really have two guys they can build around.”

Having two guys to build around is essential in the NBA, and the internet is rampant with speculation that Carmelo Anthony, who is a free agent next summer but has the right to opt out of his contract this summer, could be the last piece of the puzzle Boston would need to compete in the Eastern Conference.

Cowens was not nearly as complimentary about Carmelo Anthony as he was about Love, but he still sung his praises and basketball acumen.

“I don’t think [Carmelo] is as bad of a defender as people think. I think because he’s such a dominant offensive player and is asked to carry the team, no matter how much guys are paid they’re still human and only have so much energy to expend. I think Carmelo Anthony with a dominant big guy around him and an excellent point guard is probably one of the best players in this league.”

However, whether contract-wise or something else, Cowens just doesn’t see Melo as a fit in Boston.

“I just don’t see him with the Celtics. It just doesn’t feel right to me. … The Celtics have a corporate culture and you have to stay with that and build within that. I don’t think you necessarily need the ‘superstar.’ You have to have three guys on your team that are All Star caliber players to win a championship.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:41 pm

And now for the other side of the argument:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/05/welsh-on-toucher-rich-melo-would-be-outstanding-fit-in-boston/

Welsh On Toucher & Rich: Melo Would Be ‘Outstanding Fit In Boston’
June 5, 2014 10:46 AM

BOSTON (CBS) — While the Kevin Love watch is heating up, the Boston Celtics are also involved in another juicy rumor this offseason.
Carmelo Anthony can become a free agent this summer, and rumors have the Celtics as a team that will make a hard push for the 2013 NBA scoring champion. This has fans envisioning another Big Three in Boston, with both Love and Melo joining Rajon Rondo to make the C’s a title contender once again.

Anthony has plenty of critics and baggage. Many will point to his selfish style of play on offense, his overall lack of defense, and his “coach killer” tag as jumbo-sized warning flags, and don’t think this is a road the Celtics should travel. But CSNNE’s Tim Welsh, who recruited Anthony when he was head coach at Providence, is not one of those critics. He points to Hall of Fame coaches like Jim Boeheim (who coached Anthony to an NCAA Title at Syracuse) and Mike Krzyzewski (Anthony’s coach on Team USA), who have nothing but praise for Melo.

“I think he’s done well in New York,” Welsh said on Thursday’s Toucher & Rich. “[In 2013] he had quality pieces around him, he had an outstanding season and the Knicks had a great year. This year was a different story; the Knicks had a lot of injuries and he was kind of a one-man band, and he got blamed.”

While Anthony’s scoring went down slightly last season, he actually improved his all-around game, averaging a career-high 8.1 rebounds per game and increasing his assists per game from 2.6 to 3.1 (the fourth highest over his 11-year career). But he received most of the blame for New York’s 37-win season.

“When he went to New York, Beoheim told him that New York is great and maybe one of the best places to play, but if you don’t win they blame the best player. That’s what’s happened in New York with him,” said Welsh. “I like [Melo]. Anytime you can get a consistent and natural scorer (it’s a move you make). And I think he has the ability to play defense; you have to communicate it to him somehow, with good team defenders around him and a coach that can communicate the scheme to him.

“I think he would be an outstanding fit in Boston,” said Welsh.

“From what I know of him, and from what I’ve been told by people who are very close to him, he wants to win,” Welsh said. “No one is closer to him than Jim Boeheim, who I talked to a lot, and he said Melo just wants to be on a winning team. That’s why he’s going to opt out, because I don’t know if there’s any winning in the forecast in New York.”

Welsh also adds that Melo has always wanted to play with Rajon Rondo, and Brad Stevens has earned a very good reputation around the league after just one season on the Celtics bench. Both of these factors could attract Melo to Boston this summer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:50 pm

Maybe I read too much into it, but it's almost as though Cow is saying that the Celtics don't necessarily need the type of superstar that is full of himself.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Sam, that is exactly what I get from it, and I do not have as much faith in Tim Welch's opinion as some seem to have. Just because he was a coach doesn't make him a source I should have faith in. He goes with the flow.

Cowens only offers opinions when asked and has been part of this organization. He gets it, I do not think Welch does. On top of that, isn't
Welch the guy who has been calling for them to trade Rondo?Maybe he really works for NY!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:25 pm

What would we have to give up to get Melo? Nothing? He sure fits the bill better than Jeff Green. How's this sound cap wise, Gyso, along with Green's and Wallace's contracts and the others? Could Jeff Green be part of a deal for Asik then?
Rondo
Bradley
Melo,
Olynyk/Sullinger
Asik
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Anthony is a chance to "upgrade" the SF position that so many have griped about... Who else do people have in mind?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next