Time to Step up, Danny

2 posters

Go down

Time to Step up, Danny Empty Time to Step up, Danny

Post by Sam Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:06 am

Well, those who wanted Danny to keep accumulating assets can be happy that he didn't shed even one asset beyond the two that Father Time dictated he expend yesterday.  If he plays his cards right, by the end of the summer (if not already), he can potentially enjoy a stash of more draft picks than any other team at any other time—ever.  He can sit and admire his treasure trove of picks while fans beat down the doors of TD Garden in their frenzy to see the Celtics in action.  And, over the next 10 to 20 years, Danny can rebuild a juggernaut through the draft, just as he made huge strides in doing yesterday.

I just hope Danny doesn't yield to the temptation of actually using the trade exception that will expire in a couple of days.  It appears that assets are for admiring, not for using, and it appears that particular asset may have outlived its usefulness.

And Wyc's right that it takes two to tango.  That's why no other team was able to add anything of significance simply by parting with a cherished keepsake (sob) like a future number one pick over the past few days.

Personally, the most positive outcome of this draft is that it has taken me back in time to when I was in the Army and was around tanks a lot.  Now I'll be able to read a profusion of tank stories constantly, so I can relive my good old days.  And, right about now, I'm immensely grateful for the good old days.

Or Danny might recognize that veterans can play an important role in rebuilding.  Not so much veterans who were obtained almost by default and don't stand to be a meaningful part of the future (aka ex-Nets).  But veterans whose career situations are formative enough to enable them to identify strongly with being Celtics and to act as mentors and role models as youthful reinforcements continue to arrive on the scene.  (Can anyone say "Spurs?")

This latest Rondo story may very well prove to be accurate.  The main thing I don't like about it is that it focuses on getting rid of Rondo without focusing on the importance of what Danny gets in return.  If the returns involve actual human beings, it will be sign (at least to me) that Danny wants the team to be something more than just an ongoing doormat that collects its annual dole of high draft picks.  It will say to me that Danny's not subscribing to the Philadelphia theory of accumulating assets and then trying to figure out what to do with them.  It will say that Danny has a plan; and, whether the plan involves (oh the horror) over-spending or risk taking or actually expending stashed draft picks, it is important that the plan allows for developmental improvement to be discernible so that the youngsters will enthusiastically buy into what's happening rather than being so disillusioned at losing that they'll desert the ship as soon as they're contractually able.  If it includes bringing in a true center, it will tell me that Danny really cares about putting a more balanced team in a better position to succeed and develop.  If it involves bringing in some veteran leadership, so much the better.

I could never become so down on the Celtics that my love for them would ever waver.  I guarantee that there's no person on earth who loves them more than I do.  But that very love would be a farce if I couldn't look at them with a critical, but realistic, eye—just as I would a child.  I believe this is one of the major crossroads in Celtics history.  Come on, Danny, step up and let the fireworks begin.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Time to Step up, Danny Empty Re: Time to Step up, Danny

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:54 am

Good points on all accounts. The picks were solid but the only aggravating thing to me is the endless speculation. Smart = rondo trade, for example. to me, how so?

The East is there for the taking, and Danny can make moves now. but Trading rondo would mean the Celtics aren't trying to "win now". It would signal a long process instead.
cash in on his reputation as an elite pg and bring stars and other vets in.

kj
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down