BaronV
k_j_88
kdp59
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

The Morning After Empty The Morning After

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:01 am

Ok, so let's stop for a second and try to wrap our minds around it all.  What happened AND what didn't happen.

Well, for one thing, Kevin Love didn't get traded.   Anywhere.  Does that mean he still might come here?  Personally I think the Afflalo-to-Denver trade presaged that deal's final arithmetic, but it does substantiate Wyc's point about how "trade season has barely started".  The fat lady stood up (Dallas-NY), straightened her dress (Asik to NOP) and cleared her throat (Afflalo to Denver) but she hasn't started singing yet.  Did Wyc shoot from the lip when he promised "fireworks"?  Yeah, he probably should have waited before he started over-hyping, and he can be a bit of a used car salesman at time but, in the words of Yogi Berra, "it ain't over 'til it's over".

For those of us who wanted Danny to trade the picks for veterans (Sam and me) it didn't work out.  For those of us who wanted Danny to go big with Vonleh, it didn't work out.  For those of us who wanted Gordon as a replacement for Green it didn't work out (no fault of Danny's for that.  I was shocked when he went 4th).  It seems like only NYCelt was a happy camper when Danny took Smart.  But what does that pick mean?  I'll tell you what I think it means, I think it means nothing.  The shoes are still dropping and we don't know which or whose.  Is Rondo gone because Smart will run the point or is Bradley gone because him and Smart are the same size, Smart has a bigger wingspan and is just as tenacious a defender and won't chew up cap space like Bradley will?  Maybe it's Phil or Bayless who is gone.  We don't know.  We.  Just.  Don't.

What we do know is that we have someone who could replace both Bradley AND Pressey.  What we know is that there's a new gunner in town.  Today.  Probably tomorrow too.  That's what we know.

Let's keep our powder dry for 15 more days.  Over that 2 week period we will see free agent signings happen (which will include free agent sign-and-trades), the Orlando Summer League start and finish and the $10.3M Traded Player Exception will expire and the tectonic plates start to settle a bit into what is a more likely sem-final position.  Let's not forget, though, that in 2007 Kevin Garnett wasn't traded until 7/31, LONG after what we're talking about here.  We're impatient fans.  Danny's not impatient, not when we're talking about a year or two.  5+ years?  Yeah, then we'd see a serious edge on him, but 1-2 years for a rebuild?  He considers that almost too easy.

In the meanwhile, let's study up on our newest MIGs (Men In Green), at least until the day after tomorrow.  And let's keep in mind how we responded initially to Danny drafting slow, earthbound, medically red-flagged Jared Sullinger in 2012 and moving up to pick slow, earthbound 7'0" "stretch 4" Kelly Olynyk in 2013.  Maybe we're not as smaht as we think we are...

Mahcus Smaht

6'3 1/4" w/shoes, 227#, 6/9 1/4" wingspan (Bradley is 6'3", 6'7" wingspan)

-Marcus Smart and Dante Exum who did not compete outside of the high school level this season, are widely considered the top-2 point guards available in the 2014 NBA Draft. In studying Smart's situational stats, he has a number of attributes that should help ease his transition to the next level offensively, but that his offensive game remains a work in progress.

Looking at the bigger picture, Smart's 18.7 possessions per-game and 14.5% turnover rate both rank average-to-above average among what is a very productive group of uniquely skilled lead guards. His field goal percentage ranked below average overall at just 42%, but his overall .941 points per-possession was almost exactly average thanks to how frequently he got to the line. Drawing free throws on an absurd 31.3% of his transition possessions and 21.2% of his half court possessions, Smart ranks second in this group in overall free throw rate, behind only New Mexico's Kendall Williams, who had a far lower usage rate.

Smart's role for Oklahoma State had him running the pick and roll much less frequently than his peers. Only 21.2% of his offensive possessions were used on the pick and roll and only 14.5% of the possessions derived from his own usage and his passes came from dishes out of the pick and roll, both of which rank well below average. The second least effective shooter in this group making 36% of his shots after dribbling off a ball screen, Smart's overall efficiency on the pick and roll actually ranks above average since he drew free throws on more than a quarter of his possessions in the two-man game, illustrating how big a part of his game his athleticism and physicality play in his success offensively at this stage in his career.

Since he isn't running the pick and roll as frequently as his peers, Smart's profile has some other quirks. He saw more than 5% of his possessions in the post, which is as much as some small forwards. On top of that, he used 1.7 possessions per-game receiving the ball after using off-ball screens, which ranks among the highest marks in this group and the highest among prospects from teams that don't play at very slow paces. Smart is not your traditional off-screen scorer, as he prefers to try to burn the defense by getting to the rim when his defender is trailing, but he did knock down a number of jump shots working off the ball as well.

Smart's somewhat unique offensive role is not surprising when you look at his shooting numbers. He made a below average 28.4% of his jump shots in the half court while finishing at a superb 57.3%-clip at the rim. Shooting 30.3% from the perimeter off the catch and 28.8% off the dribble, Smart has plenty of room to grow as a jump-shooter. Making 45.7% of his open spot-up jump shots, but attempting more and making just 20.4% of his contested spot-up jump shots, there's reason to believe he could improve his numbers with less ambitious shot selection and room for optimism that he'll continue to make strides in this area thanks to his tremendous work ethic.

Smaht's prsss conference.  Listen to what he says about being drafted by a team that already has a good starting point guard, as opposed to being drafted by a team where he could start right away.

Here's a read about Smaht.  If you're wondering about his toughness, this should put those questions to rest.  Between him, Rondo and Bradley, this is one feisty, take-no-prisoners backcourt we have.  He burns with anger when something happens he doesn't like.  Sometimes that anger burns out of control, like when he went into the stands, but for the most part he channels it very well and that's why he's the #6 pick.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/big12/2013/01/22/mens-college-basketball-oklahoma-state-marcus-smart-profile/1850729/

Marcus Smart might have the biggest shoulders I've ever seen on a basketball player not named Karl Malone...

Danny's asked if he intends to continue to move forward with Rondo or do a complete rebuild.  Danny gives a pretty simple response.  He also addresses the "two point guards" issue.  "Two point guards"?  Bye, bye Phil.  Danny is also asked about whether he sees this as another year of "development".

Here's his DX scouting report.  If you didn't watch it when I posted it during the workout process because you wanted to wait to see what actually happened, now's the time to catch up.  This kid is a bull.  NOT afraid of contact.  How often do you see PGs posting up in the paint?

James Young

Danny's presser says he see Young as a SF in the NBA.  Interesting.  Players usually go down in position from college to pros.  College centers, like Vonleh, become PFs, etc.

6'6 3/4" w/shoes, 215#, 7'0" wingspan, 5.1% body fat.

I suspect Kelly, and perhaps Sully, will play in Orlando summer league.  It will be interesting to see how these guys mesh.

Go Celtics!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Morning After Empty Re: The Morning After

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:29 am

thanks for those linlks Bob.

I think for most of us it was a ho -hum night. At least those of us that would like to see a quicker move out of the cellar.

Smart could end being a D. Wade type guard , but most Celtics fans didn't see either guard spot as a priority at #6.

BPA perhaps but I still think their would be more excitement from the fan base if Vonleh had been that pick.

Young at 17 did make sense as a BPA and as a need (well IF Smart hadn't been the pick eariler).

Unless Ainge and Stevens see Kelly O , Fav and Iverson as the centers for next year they obviously have other moves on ther minds.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Body wise, Smart looks like a beefier wade. And will he be a better perimeter shooter than Bradley?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:19 pm

Personally, I didn't mind the drafts and (lack of) moves. After Embiid and Gordon went early, and no trade deals materialized, DA picked a guy who many mocks had going in the top 5. The guys who came after are no better as guards, and we already have two young PFs and if the team's assessment was that we didn't really need Randle or Vonleh, I assume they have better information than we do on how they compare to the guys we already have. And there was no option available at center (assuming DA didn't want to trade for Asik's $15M salary). We may all want them to get one, but we can't make one appear in the draft. Looking down the list, after Embiid at 3, the next C drafted was Nurkik at 16 followed by Jokik at 41. We weren't going to use the #6 pick on Nurkik, and he was gone before our next pick.

Bringing in Smart also gives us more flexibility when it comes to Rondo. We can start off using Smart as a 2 guard, possibly replacing Bradley) or as a backup for Rondo to keep his minutes reasonable as he continues to recover from his ACL injury. It also allows us to listen to any offers for Rondo without needing to worry as much about getting a PG back in return. If Rondo does decide to leave in free agency next year, we can let him go and free up the cap space or use him in a sign and trade to bring back something besides a PG. And if Rondo does want to stay, having a legitimate alternative on the team gives the Celtics a negotiating point in salary discussions... "You want a max contract, go talk to the Knicks. We have a replacement making $2M waiting to take your spot.".

I don't know much about Young, but the consensus among the analysis I've read is that he was one of the best remaining players at that spot. Hood would have been another good choice there, but again, willing to assume the front office had done their homework.

What did happen is that we drafted two pretty good players, filled a need (backup PG, potential replacement for Rondo or Bradley), and didn't waste any of our assets trading for role players or minor moves in the draft. With the trade exception and a bunch of future picks, plus Bogans' contract, some sign and trade possibilities, etc., hopefully we can land a decent center, or pull off a megatrade for Love or another star. No, the two picks taken didn't put us directly back into contention, but I don't think anyone in this draft would have right away except maybe Embiid, and he's out next year. Hopefully the team can pull off some moves that set us up to be improved next year, and back in contention soon.

-V

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:55 pm

So somebody put my mind to rest (or at least out of its misery).  Maybe NYCelt can do it.

If Smart's such a good PG that he's already being anointed as the heir apparent to Rondo, why isn't there a single syllable in this report about his ball distribution or floor general qualities.  I'm not saying statistics are the be all and end all of being a PG, but shouldn't they get at least a passing mention for the Celtics' alleged PG of the future?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Sam,

I didn't get to see him play except highlights, but am basing my opinion on the various pre-draft analysis I read, and the general consensus that he's been the best available PG 2 years running (given that he stayed in school last year)

Not a lot of time to look for the articles I read, but a quick search turned this one up. The writer says "He’s great in transition but really understands how to run a team and where the ball needs to be to execute in the half-court." He listed his weaknesses as poor outside shooting and poor shot selection. Good replacement for Rondo. Smile

Sounds like the sort of analysis you were looking for.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/scouting-report-marcus-smart

-V

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:27 pm

Sam,

I didn't get to see him play except highlights, but am basing my opinion on the various pre-draft analysis I read, and the general consensus that he's been the best available PG 2 years running (given that he stayed in school last year)

Not a lot of time to look for the articles I read, but a quick search turned this one up. The writer says "He’s great in transition but really understands how to run a team and where the ball needs to be to execute in the half-court." He listed his weaknesses as poor outside shooting and poor shot selection. Good replacement for Rondo. Smile

Sounds like the sort of analysis you were looking for.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/scouting-report-marcus-smart

-V

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:27 pm

sam wrote:So somebody put my mind to rest (or at least out of its misery).  Maybe NYCelt can do it.

If Smart's such a good PG that he's already being anointed as the heir apparent to Rondo, why isn't there a single syllable in this report about his ball distribution or floor general qualities.  I'm not saying statistics are the be all and end all of being a PG, but shouldn't they get at least a passing mention for the Celtics' alleged PG of the future?

Sam

sam,

I'm not a college sports fan, as you know, but here's some stuff from basketball-reference.com (college).  I don't think it is fair to compare a kid fresh out of college to a pro with 8 years experience, so these are college vs college stats, which will hopefully shed some light on where they are/were at comparable points in their development.  Hopefully NYCelt and/or kdp or whomever else who are college hoop junkies can put more meat on the bones based upon their eyeball observations.  I think I'm done watching college film for a while.

Here's some stats from basketball-reference (college), /40mpg (NOT /36mpg like they do with NBA):  Career

Rajon Rondo

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rajon-rondo-1.html

Gms---Mins----FG----FGA----FG%----2P----2PA----2P%---3P---3PA---3P%---FT---FTA---FT%---TRB---AST---STL---BLK---TOV---PF----PTS
68----1908----5.2---10.6---.493----4.6-----8.5----.544---0.6---2.1---.283---2.7---4.7---.577---6.4----6.0----3.3----0.3---N/A---N/A---13.7

Marcus Smart

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/marcus-smart-1.html

Gms---Mins----FG----FGA----FG%----2P----2PA----2P%---3P---3PA---3P%---FT---FTA---FT%---TRB---AST---STL---BLK---TOV---PF----PTS
64-----2120---5.9----14.3---.413----4.3----8.8----.488---1.6---5.6---.295---6.6---8.8---.751----7.1---5.4----3.5---0.8----3.6---3.5----20.1

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Okay, I'm a a bit relieved concerning Smart's floor general ability, and I also like his 75% free throw average (although it dipped by something like 5 perentage points from his year one to his year two.

While it may not be fair to compare a newbie's abilities with those of a multi-year veteran, isn't that exactly the point, Bob?  It is what it is, what what it would be is a kid straight out of college replacing a veteran all-star.  So, since this isn't an intellectual foray but rather an exercise in reality, I think it's eminently fair to compare the reality of a having a raw kid, rather than a seasoned pro, running a team that struggled offensively last season.

I may be more concerned than many in what happens to this team during the next season or two.  That's not to be confused with championship expectations.  I just want them to be able to enjoy consistent improvement in the development promise, and I believe the floor general is the single most important element in offensive improvement because he so greatly affects the success of everyone on the floor.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:13 pm

sam wrote:Okay, I'm a a bit relieved concerning Smart's floor general ability, and I also like his 75% free throw average (although it dipped by something like 5 perentage points from his year one to his year two.

While it may not be fair to compare a newbie's abilities with those of a multi-year veteran, isn't that exactly the point, Bob?  It is what it is, what what it would be is a kid straight out of college replacing a veteran all-star.  So, since this isn't an intellectual foray but rather an exercise in reality, I think it's eminently fair to compare the reality of a having a raw kid, rather than a seasoned pro, running a team that struggled offensively last season.

I may be more concerned than many in what happens to this team during the next season or two.  That's not to be confused with championship expectations.  I just want them to be able to enjoy consistent improvement in the development promise, and I believe the floor general is the single most important element in offensive improvement because he so greatly affects the success of everyone on the floor.

Sam

sam,

I see your point (no pun intended).  You're asking "if we trade Rondo before we get to really see Smart in action, is that good for this team now, who cares about college?".  Well, I'm certainly not one to hang my hat on college play as being a good indicator of future performance, but suppose we try to see if we can cobble together some scenarios that aren't totally out-to-lunch.

Let's start with Cleveland's previous starting veteran point guard vs their new one.  Not a great comparison, admittedly there's a slight difference in talent levels, just a tinch, but it's a start.

Mo Williams, his last full year as starting point guard for Cleveland, /36mpg, at age 27 and 7 years experience:

Gms--FG---FGA---FG%---3PM---3PA--3P%---2PM---2PA---2P%---FTM---FTA---FT%---ORB---DRB---TRB---AST--STL---BLK---TOV---PF---PTS
69---5.8---13.0--.442----2.4----5.7--.429---3.3----7.4---.452----2.7----3.0---.894----0.4---2.7----3.1---5.6---1.1----0.3---2.6----2.6--16.7

Kyrie Irving, in his first year, /36mpg, 19 years old.

Gms--FG---FGA---FG%---3PM---3PA--3P%---2PM---2PA---2P%---FTM---FTA---FT%---ORB---DRB---TRB---AST--STL---BLK---TOV---PF---PTS
51---8.1---17.3--.469----1.7----4.2--.399---6.4----13.0--.491----4.0----4.5---.872----1.0---3.4----4.4---6.4---1.2----0.5----3.7---2.5--21.8

Notice that Irving only played in 51 games that year.  That's because Mo Williams started early on, they saw how things were going with Irving and traded Williams.

------------------------------------------------------------

Jrue Holiday, career in Philly, /36mpg.  He was a #17 pick and a 2013 All-Star.

FG---FGA---FG%---3PM---3PA--3P%---2PM---2PA---2P%---FTM---FTA---FT%---ORB---DRB---TRB---AST--STL---BLK---TOV---PF---PTS
5.9--13.4---.437---1.1----2.9--.374----4.8----10.5--.455---1.9 ----2.4---.781----1.0----2.9---3.9----6.3---1.6---0.4----2.9---2.4--14.7

Michael Carter Williams, ROY, #11 pick last year, /36mpg.

FG---FGA---FG%---3PM---3PA--3P%---2PM---2PA---2P%---FTM---FTA---FT%---ORB---DRB---TRB---AST--STL---BLK---TOV---PF---PTS
6.4---15.7--.405---0.8----3.1--.264----5.5----12.6--.440---3.8----5.5---.703----1.5----5.0---6.5----6.6---1.9---0.6----3.7---3.2---17.4

So, Philly traded an All-Star point guard for Nerlen Noels (an intimidator, to use your term) and rolled the dice with their new rookie PG.

Dan Dickau, /36mpg, age 26.

5.3--13.0--.408----1.5----4.2--.347----3.8----8.8---.437---3.3----3.9---.836----0.6----2.5---3.1----6.0---1.3---0.1----2.5---3.5---15.3

Chris Paul, #4 pick, /36mpg, age 20.
5.2--12.1---.430---0.6----2.3--.282----4.6----9.9--.464----5.1----6.0---.847----0.8----4.3---5.1----7.8---2.2----0.1---2.3---2.8---16.1

I can't think of any other veteran starting point guards who were gone after another point guard was picked where one could make even a half-assed comparison.  Earl Watson being replaced by Russell Westbrook?  Duh.  Who wouldn't do that?  Note that every point guard being traded were all in their prime, no over-the-hillers.

My takeaway from all this is that you can bring in a new point guard who is highly regarded and drafted and not necessarily lose much by trading your existing point guard.  Now, I realize that Rondo isn't just any point guard, but Jrue Holliday was an All-Star and he got traded when Philly got Michael Carter-Williams and Williams did great last year.  In fact, Philly wasn't doing too badly until Hinkie realized they might actually win some games and gutted the team so they couldn't.  It all boils down to what/who Danny gets for Rondo.  I'm not preferring that route, but there is some history that show that high lottery pick point guards can step in quickly, especially if they're surrounded by talent like Rondo was in his sophomore year.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Bob, you may want to edit your second sentence.  I can't understand it.  But, if you're somehow saying that my view is "Who cares about college?" that's not at all what I mean.

I simply mean that, whether Rondo or Smart is running the team this year, the experience they'll be relying upon will very little for Smart and quite a lot for Rondo.  Therefore, as relative indicators of the respective value as potential floor generals this year, Smart's collegiate body of work (where he actually has the advantage of playing against inferior competition) should be compared with Rondo's pro body of work.

Somehow, I don't see the floor general of the Celtics this year being surrounded by the caliber of teammates that was the case when Rondo broke in.  Perhaps, if Smart had made his reputation by the way he ran teams rather than other (admittedly admirable) factors, I'd be more positive about his ability to step right in and make things click.  If he is designated to do so, I'll be rooting for him and looking for glimmers all the way.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Bob

A thoughtful post.

When Vonleh was on the board and the Celtics passed on him I was in shock but just for a few minutes.

Vonleh is a very solid prospect but he replicated much of what we already had.

Adding depth to the back court was actually more important.

Smart is probably the best PG drafted although a few years down the road the entire class of PG's drafted will be evaluated based on what they have done in the NBA.

The first reaction to the Smart pick was the assumption that Rondo will be traded.

I did not see it that way.  By drafting Smart the Celtics have finally secured a potential top end guard who will strengthen the guard rotation.  However he is certainly no replacement for Bradley.   He simply does not shoot the ball from the perimeter well enough to make AB expendable.  I do think that he will play some two but it is more likely that Young also gets minutes at the two.  Basically the Celtics drafted a completely new backcourt last night.

Drafting Smart was needed to secure the PG position in the event that Rondo gets injured or if down the road he is traded to another team.  However I think DA is very happy to have added this level of quality to his backcourt.  I can see this backcourt really getting after people.

In regards to Young he provides another perimeter scores and a long wing defender.  He is a 2 position player at the 2/3 spots and I suspect that his abilities have been somewhat masked because he player on a very deep Kentucky team.  While the Rondo situation is being debated, Young may prove to be the replacement for Green although Green is a bigger and stronger defender.  Young is long and quick and can play at both ends.  His weakness is in his handle.  He is a dominant left handed player and must work on his right hand to be a better offensive player capable of crossing over and slashing to the hoop.

So in the end the Celtics used 2 of their many 1st round picks and drafted 2 very solid players that can help the team right away.

The game is still afoot.  We must get a center.  The Asik trade was a surprise because of what Houston got in return.  But maybe that compensation reflected his true value.  But we really need a center and the free agent pickings are rather thin.  Gortat is over in Poland and the Washington brain trust is supposedly heading over there to convince him to resign with them.  But Gortat is no dummy.  He has labored as a journeyman for a number of years and is finally getting some attention.  I expect him to entertain multiple offers.  A sign and trade with Washington may be the solution if it gets to that.  

The Kevin Love courtship may not be over yet despite being flipped off.  We still have enough assets to go after him.

My wish list:  Sign a center and /or bring Iverson back,  make the trade for Love because he would take the team to another level on offense and he is a beast on the glass.  Love is not probably going to want to come here if we trade Rondo.  As a matter of fact Rondo remains the only really attractive piece on the roster that other players want to play with.  He is our magnet.

At the very least we must get a center else this roster can never realize their true potential.

I can see a fully recovered Rondo, better production from both Sully and KO, more balance scoring in the rotation and an absolute killer backcourt that could be the best defensive backcourt and one of the most athletic backcourts in the league.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Dboss and Baron V - both analyses right on the money. Thanks for walking us back from the edge.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:12 am

Vonleh was not picked do to some past personal issues.

ESPN radio and the NBA channel panel both said tonight that the Celtics stole the draft with their 2 picks.  Consider their age.................. Smart is 20....I said 20 years old.....and Young is 19 years old...I said 19 years old.  Age 23 - 24 is the where they stop maturing as adult males...........they got 3-5 years before they reach a finished mature body and skill set.  The upside is huge!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:57 pm

sam wrote:So somebody put my mind to rest (or at least out of its misery).  Maybe NYCelt can do it.

Sam

My bet is you don't see much about anything related to passing, etc., because it's just not all that sexy in print for the average fan.

Smart has all the prerequisite point guard skills Rondo had when he came out of Kentucky. The thing with Smart is he may be very well suited to the 2-guard spot.

Danny made the best pick here, much smarter than taking anyone other than Wiggins or Parker, both of whom were, of course, impossible for us to pick. Better pick than even Embiid IMHO, because Embiid stands a strong chance of being too physically challenged.

Build with what you can, a step at a time. We're good at guard, front line next. Turns out Gorman was right as usual!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Front line.  I'm all ears.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:21 am

Jay Bilas was interviewed by Michael Kay on the Yes Network on Friday and Kay asked him who was the best player drafted after the top three.

Bilas said "Marcus Smart." And added, "He's not a great shooter but he does everything else."

So there you go. Bilas is a very respected hoops analyst as most people know.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:32 am

steve3344 wrote:Jay Bilas was interviewed by Michael Kay on the Yes Network on Friday and Kay asked him who was the best player drafted after the top three.

Bilas said "Marcus Smart."  And added, "He's not a great shooter but he does everything else."

So there you go.  Bilas is a very respected hoops analyst as most people know.

steve,

This is from ESPN.

Before the draft, ESPN Insider's Kevin Pelton wrote how Marcus Smart ranked tops in this year's draft class in projected WARP (wins above replacement player). His blurb on Smart:
Several factors propelled Smart to the top of the WARP projections. He is young for a sophomore, just 10 days older than Joel Embiid. Smart's projected steal rate is tops for any projected first-round pick, which is important because steal rate has been a strong indicator of NBA success. He is also an excellent rebounder and has been surprisingly good playing against star point guards. Players similar to Smart tend to perform better in the NBA as the professional floor typically is more open, allowing them to create off the dribble.

bob

Here's a link defining the WARP projections he cites.  http://www.sonicscentral.com/warp.html

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=224

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Overall, I like the picks. They addressed the need at the wings.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down