Zeller could be big help for Celtics

5 posters

Go down

Zeller could be big help for Celtics Empty Zeller could be big help for Celtics

Post by 112288 Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:46 pm

ESPNBOSTON

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

The Zeller brothers grew up in Washington, Indiana, just a two-hour drive from Butler University, so former Bulldogs coach Brad Stevens is plenty familiar with the family. He even tried to recruit a couple of the boys -- after all, all three earned Indiana's Mr. Basketball honors -- but Stevens admitted he never attempted to hook the middle brother, Tyler.

"I actually didn't recruit Tyler because I didn't think we'd have a chance to get him," Stevens said.

Despite striking out in his pursuit of older brother Cody and younger brother Luke, Stevens, now the head coach of the Celtics, finally landed a Zeller this past week, when Boston acquired Tyler as part of a three-team trade with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Brooklyn Nets.

With the Celtics needing some height, Tyler Zeller should have an opportunity to boost his game.
For the size-deprived Celtics, landing a skilled 7-footer might have been the coup of a risk-free trade that also brought veteran guard Marcus Thornton and Cleveland's 2016 first-round pick. The 24-year-old Zeller, a former first-round selection (17th overall in 2012), should compete immediately for minutes at the center position.

Stevens didn't need a scouting report when assessing what Zeller can bring to Boston.

"First and foremost, I think he's a great transition rim-runner," he said. "I think he can really get out and fly up and down the court. And I think that showed itself a lot at North Carolina. A guy with his skill can score on the block but also stretch the defense and has enough handle and savvy to play facing the basket. And you can kind of play around him -- not too dissimilar from some of other big guys that we have now. He's 7-foot, 250 pounds, and takes really good care of himself and is an invested pro."

Zeller has averaged 5.9 points and 4.9 rebounds over two NBA seasons for the Cavaliers. He earned big minutes early in his pro career and started 55 of 77 appearances his rookie season while averaging 7.9 points, 5.7 rebounds and 26.4 minutes per game.

His playing time dipped last year, but Zeller did get a chance to showcase himself late in the season, and his stat line spiked (12 points, 6.8 rebounds and 21.7 minutes per game in six appearances in April). The Celtics are hoping he can build off that potential on a team that sorely lacked a true center for most of the past season.

Zeller has the length and athleticism to deter shots -- opponents shot just 47.3 percent near the rim against him this past season, according to the league's player tracking data. That's a respectable number when you consider that opponents shot 47 percent against Indiana's David West and 46.8 percent against Chicago's Joakim Noah. That said, Stevens cautions against overexcitement.

"We've talked about how, in an ideal world, Sullinger plays the 4," Stevens said. "At the same time, I think Tyler would be the first to tell you he's not going to block shots like [Dikembe] Mutumbo or some of the great shot-blockers in the history of the game. He's more of a position defender. He's a strong guy. He's an agile guy. He can move his feet laterally. But he's not necessarily a huge shot-blocker at the rim.

"Now, there are different ways to affect drives," he continued. "You can meet people outside the circle. You can jump straight up and still affect them with your strength and size if they go into your body, as long as you're vertical. That will be more of what he has to do."

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge noted how Zeller fits into the style of play Stevens and the team envision moving forward.

"He can rebound, he can shoot, he can run," Ainge said. "He's 7 feet tall, and I think he fits into how we want to play and how Brad wants to have that center position be a runner. You know, get up the court and run to the front of the rim. He fits all that criteria. He is a good young talent. We're excited to have him."

Unless Boston continues to play the likes of Kelly Olynyk or Sullinger out of position at the center spot, Zeller's primary competition will come from Vitor Faverani, the second-year big man who is recovering from knee surgery. The Celtics also have Joel Anthony on the roster, though he's unlikely to see his role grow from the past season (if he's still around). Boston also must decide if it wishes to carry Colton Iverson, a 2013 second-round pick who spent the 2013-14 season playing in Turkey, though he projects as end-of-the-roster depth if signed.

Zeller likely will get every chance to earn a starting spot next season. He's a low-cost body, and the Celtics will hold a $2.6 million team option on him for the 2015-16 campaign. If he develops into a serviceable rotation player, Boston will have gotten a steal in this trade, given that they gave up only a conditional second-round pick while absorbing salary with a trade exception.

Zeller got married on Saturday. Stevens said he talked to him a couple of days before the nuptials and welcomed him to the team.

"I'm happy for him," Stevens said. "Kind of a crazy time for him to get traded -- three days before he gets married and then goes on his honeymoon. I just said, 'Hope you enjoy it. Tell your family, "Hi," and we'll talk to you when you get back.'"

After all these years, Stevens finally got himself a Zeller.

"I know their family really well," Stevens said. "Great family. Just terrific people. All three boys are great students and very good basketball players. Tyler is a guy that has accomplished quite a bit in his basketball career -- obviously in high school, winning state championships, and then in college, winning a national championship and being an ACC player of the year. Then in his first two years in the league, he has had some good moments, and I think [he] will really continue to blossom here."

Back to top Go down

Zeller could be big help for Celtics Empty Re: Zeller could be big help for Celtics

Post by Sam Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:36 am

Several of Tyler's attributes mentioned in this article suggest he could be a real help to the Celtics.  He seems to do a little of everything and a lot of running the floor.  But the phrase that was most significant to me was Brad's comment that "you can kind of play around him."

What that means to me is that Tyler can be expected to do a sufficiently representative job of playing center so that the remainder of the team can focus on learning to play the right way together rather than on how to cope with playing out of position or adjust to a serious hole in the lineup.

My only question is whether he can play starter's minutes (30+ in my book) or whether his lack of same to date is a sign of lack of staying power.  I've heard or read nothing to cast doubt on his durability; and, at 7 feet and 250 pounds, I believe he should be more than able to hold his own physically out there.

I don't know whether Danny will be able to make good on his "fireworks" boast; but, if Tyler can putter along like a Roman Candle, I'll be happy.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Zeller could be big help for Celtics Empty Re: Zeller could be big help for Celtics

Post by Berlin-T Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:07 am

I've always liked Zeller's game and am glad Danny picked him up. My only doubt is the same as Sam's: can he play starter minutes a whole season?
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:22 am

I'm not expecting Zeller to play starter minutes all season.

He averaged 26.4mpg in his rookie season and 15.0mpg last season.  One does not suddenly go from playing 15mpg to 30-35mpg next season.  Your body isn't used to it, you don't have the game rhythm.  You could leave him out there, sure, but I sincerely doubt he'll be looking very good at the end of the game.

Besides, I see him as a career backup.  Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am, but I don't see him providing that key, central role you need in a starting center, paint protection.

I'd be happy if he gets 25-28mpg this year.  That's as much or more as he's ever played, even as a rookie starter and probably as much as we'll want out of him after Danny lands us a real starting center later this year or next year.  Let him settle into his natural pace and rhythm and not one that's being force-fed to him because of short-term team needs.  Perk, for his entire career in both Boston and OKC, has NEVER averaged 30mpg for a season.  Give me 25 GOOD minutes, Tyler.

Zeller = 25mpg
Anthony = 8-10mpg
Vitor = 10mpg
Miscellaneous (Kelly, small ball, Iverson if he makes the team, whomever) = rest

I know there are people who think that Anthony won't get any minutes, but I'm going to go out on a limb now and say they're wrong.  Anthony is undersized but he is an 8 year veteran, ALL at the center position.  He's 6'9", 245# with a 7'5" wingspan.  By comparison, Bass is 6'8", charitably, 250# with a 7'2" wingspan.  Noah Vonleh is also 6'9", 7'4 1/4" wingspan.  Sully played center last year, relying heavily upon his weight to hold his ground, but he's only 6'9" with a 7'1 1/4" wingspan.  Anthony is as tall and has almost a 4" reach advantage.  Perk is an inch taller at 6'10", heavier of course, but with a wingspan that is an inch shorter at 7'4".  Anthony isn't tall for his position, but he isn't a toothpick (250# is the same as Zeller and he's considered legit center beef), has a wingspan like a condor and he knows the players he will be matched up against because he has been doing it for 7 years now.  He is certainly not part of our future core, but if you want Kelly and Sully playing their natural positions, PF, then you need someone to spell Zeller.  He will have a training camp with Stevens under his belt, will know the plays and Stevens will become more comfortable with inserting him.

I gave Vitor 10mpg because he's recovering from knee surgery.  He probably won't be 100%, he'll certainly be rusty as all hell because he hasn't touched a basketball in 6 months and the Celtics will ease him back in and not just throw him into the fire.  His minutes will probably be very low in the beginning of the season as he works his way back into it and then increase later as he shows he's ready for them. The 10mpg number is a season-ending average, so it will be small in the beginning and over 10mpg in April.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:32 am

Good luck out on that limb, Bob.  I hope there's a soft landing place below.  Anthony had experience last season, and the Celtics were even more desperate for center help than they're likely to be this season, and Joel still played only about 3-4 minutes a game (when all the DNPs are factored into the average).  He ranked even way below MarShon Brooks (in his abbreviated stay) in terms of rebounds per minute, and he ranked last on the entire roster in points per minute.

It's relatively easy to see where Zeller could benefit the team (especially in transition), but I have great difficulty saying the same thing for Anthony.  Seems to me that, if it weren't for a guaranteed contract, odds are he'd disappear faster than sugar on an ant hill.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:06 pm

sam wrote:Good luck out on that limb, Bob.  I hope there's a soft landing place below.  Anthony had experience last season, and the Celtics were even more desperate for center help than they're likely to be this season, and Joel still played only about 3-4 minutes a game (when all the DNPs are factored into the average).  He ranked even way below MarShon Brooks (in his abbreviated stay) in terms of rebounds per minute, and he ranked last on the entire roster in points per minute.

It's relatively easy to see where Zeller could benefit the team (especially in transition), but I have great difficulty saying the same thing for Anthony.  Seems to me that, if it weren't for a guaranteed contract, odds are he'd disappear faster than sugar on an ant hill.

Sam

sam,

That's ok, I'll just bounce right up like I always do.  I do my best learning when I'm wrong. The sound of pressurized air leaking out of my head wakes me up.

Where I'm seeing Anthony help is with experience.  He's the only veteran mentor at center we have. I'm seeing him help because Zeller can't play all 48, Vitor is coming back from surgery, Iverson (if he even makes the team) is raw and Kelly will be playing a lot more PF than C.

As far as his experience last year, he had no experience with Stevens.  Stevens knows young players, having scouted them when they were in college, he didn't know anything about Anthony last year.  The game is going to slow down for Brad this year too.  

And yeah, there's no doubt in my mind either that if we had a replacement for him he'd be gone in a NY second, but you go to war with the army you have, not the army you'd like and he's who we have.

Having said all that, I'm still going to be wearing my pads and helmet.

This is all moot, of course, if Trader Danny continues to move the chess pieces around this summer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Anthony may get some playing time, but his value may be more in practice and as a general mentor than in games. My general sense is that he is a good teammate and can provide a veteran presence that a young team often needs. I think he's more suited to help in that regard than Rondo or Wallace.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down