+3
bigpygme
RosalieTCeltics
Sam
7 posters

Go down

A Plea for Reinvigoration Empty A Plea for Reinvigoration

Post by Sam Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:00 am

The membership of this forum is unparalleled as far as basketball knowledge, the ability of self-expression, and the sheer quality of the people. It's just an amazing collection of individuals who are much appreciated.

But one pitfall that always endangers all of us is that, by analyzing and discussing so many details of every game and every development of the team, all of us run the risk of permitting our emotions to become too subject to the most recent developments. There seems to be a tendency to predict the future based on the present or the recent past. In short, it's possible to be so intimately involved with this team that we become the trees that prevent us from seeing the forest sufficiently.

At no point in this season have we seen this team at full-strength. At no time has the versatility that was supposed to be its hallmark reached anything close to its full potential. There is no team in the league—and certainly no contender—that has endured such a series of setbacks just when there seemed to be some light at the end of the tunnel. And yet, somehow or other, this team is in the hunt...big time.

Many of us moaned and wailed after losing to the Clippers on a last second Baron Davis shot. It seems to me that the full-strength Cavs suffered just about the same fate last night, except that Baron's last-second shot happened to miss—and the Clips were missing Kamen and Thornton in that one. The Cavs have lost only one starter for only one game; but Fat Albert (despite more than adequate backup) is already displaying tendencies to marshall his bulky resources only in spurts. Hey hey hey! The Lakers have demonstrated that they're extremely vulnerable if they're not at full-strength; and it will be interesting to see how they fare without much of bench (even when not shorthanded) when they start making up all those road games from which they've so far been spared.

Of course it's normal to wonder about trades and deadline acquisitions and expiring contracts and the future and a host of other details. But, in my opinion (for whatever it's worth), those considerations should always be secondary to the central focus—which should be the long-term viewpoint. It has become trite to say that the season is a marathon, not a sprint. But perhaps it's something we need to keep more prominently in mind, if only to irritate our sensibilities through its triteness.

It's highly unlikely that this roster will undergo a major transformation from now through the playoffs, despite the wishes of some. Barring a shocking development, the team's best chance for success will be for the original formula—veteran strength in depth—to have an opportunity to reach something approaching its full potential. Despite all the difficulties the team has endured, there have been many bright signs that will contribute to that potential. Players such as Rondo, Tony, Sheldon, Perk, Sheed and Scal have all shown me gratifying (if not surprising) dimensions in their games. Glen Davis seems to be recapturing his form of last year; and, once he can be in more of a supporting (rather than a lead) role, chances are he will have found his niche.

One of the pleasures that is available to us in watching pro basketball involves recognizing the hopeful signs rather than allowing a succession of momentary disappointments to render our visionary drinking glasses two-thirds empty in times of difficulty. Yes, maintaining a sense of reality is important; but it's at least as important to recognize that we can make hopefulness a form of reality.

These are the doldrums—the very essence of the time when the team is most in need of unconditional, vigorous support.

Go Celtics!

Best to all,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

A Plea for Reinvigoration Empty Re: A Plea for Reinvigoration

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:38 am

As a die hard fan, I am used to people just waiting to rip my team apart when I see them. For the most part, it is people who know nothing about the team and just read stats. I will not give up on this team because I firmly believe that,with everyone in good health, we are still the team to beat. I cannot wait for KG to come back, but feel they have done the right thing in holding him out until he is ready. Reminding us of what we are or will be, is a good post Sam.

GO CELTICS!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:22 pm

guilty as charged ... or as gently suggested, Sam. what fun it would be, it WILL be, to be at full strength, all wheels turning and cogs engaged, veterans on board and the energy (and speed) that comes from a judicious use of youth. (I hope Doc does some more of that ! )

like Rosalie, i am eager for KG to return when he's ready, and i also really want Daniels back ! and maybe Ray will, gradually, return to last year's form ... House too ... that would be SWEET !

i am set and psyched to see our Celtics play in Denver in February, and i won't be wearing a Nuggets jersey !! i hope they bring their A game, because the Nuggets have been tough against top competition this year (though pedestrian aginst "weaker" opponenets.) watch for me on TV !!! -- oh, that's right, no one knows what i look like ! maybe i'll wear a hat - look for the hat ! <LOL>
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Gosh where to start.

Since the decline and fall from grace in the early 90's we waited......

Lo and behold KG came and with it many new fans and faces. Bandwagon or not I could care less, we all started somewhere. And then the majic happened another banner.

The following year expectation "MAY" have exceeded reality. Lots of if and could ofs and should ofs but no banner. Second guesses abound and many whom care so much were frustrated in a multitude of ways. In the end we played valiently but like the 300 Spartans, it was not enough.

Now this season. Again losing when wqe perhaps should win. The bug called injury has bitten us again perhaps more than any of the elite. Still this is a marathon not a sprint. Have not even got to the Newton Hills.

Doc and Danny are far from for lack of a better word STUPID!! They full well know they cannot run the vets into the ground. (although many of us and that includes me ) want to see more minutes from our kids Doc chooses to coach his way. We can all have our views and discuss them but in the end what we think matter only to those around us and the others on here.

We are in for a special couple of months I believe. These guys hate top lose but also are looking at the bigger picture.

One by one the team will come together and perhaps in the not too far off future we will be whole.

That is something we all wish to see.

beat

Last edited by beat on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Just think of how much fun it will be to watch this team at full tilt!! I, too, am waiting for Daniels. After watching him play and then losing him, his value is much more than I ever thought it would be.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Rosalie, I'm hoping to see Daniels and Tony play some minutes with Rondo, Sheed and either Davis, Scal or Williams. A couple of wings who like to steal, run and take it to the hoop; a great distributor in the open court; a guy who could either go low or be a fine trailer on the break; and any of three options depending on matchups: another low post guy or another floor-spacer or a rebounder.

But, most of all, I'm looking forward to watching for signs of smoothness at both ends of the floor among both the starters and the bench. If they achieve 90% of the possibilities (maybe even 80%), I believe we'll all have smiles on our faces and our cups will not just be full—they'll be running over.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:40 pm

AMEN!!

You won't believe what I found in my treasure trove the other night! I have about five or six articles written during the l968-69 Celtic championship run.
They are so yellow, it really me feel old. The pictures are great! With my little knowledge of how the computer works, I am going to try to send them along for others to read. As I have said many times, ah....the memories. You are the one who will appreciate them the most!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:AMEN!!

You won't believe what I found in my treasure trove the other night! I have about five or six articles written during the l968-69 Celtic championship run.
They are so yellow, it really me feel old. The pictures are great! With my little knowledge of how the computer works, I am going to try to send them along for others to read. As I have said many times, ah....the memories. You are the one who will appreciate them the most!
Rosalie,
I am very much looking forward to those....
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Sam,
Going into this season, I think that the conventional wisdom was that this team is quite deep and talented and the issues were age and health, which are somewhat related. I think that if this team can get healthy and all the older players can play close to the level of 08 AND they can get into a groove....... They have as good a shot as anyone to grab another banner. But nobody with any sense thought it would be a cakewalk. This will be a long climb but with some luck of the leprechaun...getting and staying healthy, I'm optimistic. GO CELTICS............
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:18 am

Rosalie,

Wow, what a find! Seeing those would be a real treat.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

A Plea for Reinvigoration Empty Articles from 1968-69

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Here is a link to my flickr account with the scans of the articles. Let me know if there are any problems, I just set up the account.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosalietceltic/
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Rosalie, those are great! Just great! Just like reliving the past.

Thank you so much for posting them.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Here is a link to my flickr account with the scans of the articles. Let me know if there are any problems, I just set up the account.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosalietceltic/
Very cool Rosalie,
Makes me wish I had saved the LA TIMES articles.... & probably a great column by Jim Murray....
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:31 pm

One of the good things about not reading and posting on boston.com or here all the time is that I have stayed invigorated. KG may not be the end all be all of the Celtics current championship run but he will play an important role. Once again the other players have had an opportunity to play more due to injuries. Once again we will see those dividends pay off and we don't have to wait till April. These next two weeks will be very important in the effort towards Banner 18.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Go Celtics! (and please please KG stay healthy and angry.)
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down