Zach Lowe: The Celtics Have "Tried Like Hell" To Trade Bass

+2
kdp59
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Zach Lowe:  The Celtics Have "Tried Like Hell" To Trade Bass Empty Zach Lowe: The Celtics Have "Tried Like Hell" To Trade Bass

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:26 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/08/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_135.html

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2014: Brandon Bass very available, but Celtics haven't found anything of value yet

Print Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com
on August 05, 2014 at 10:50 AM, updated August 05, 2014 at 11:00 AM

During his latest piece for Grantland, Zach Lowe reported that the Boston Celtics have "tried like hell" to move Brandon Bass but "can’t get anything of value on the trade market."

Bass had a pretty good season last year (11.1 points, 5.7 rebounds, solid defense, 54.9 percent true shooting), but nobody should be surprised by the report of his availability. Because of circumstances, if nothing else, he probably doesn't fit into Boston's long-term plans. Entering the final season of his contract, the power forward has the misfortune of playing the same position as young big men Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk.

Earlier this offseason, Lowe reported that the Golden State Warriors had interest in Bass before their trade exception expired. One trick to moving Bass could be that the Celtics don't want to take on any long-term money. They currently have the potential for significant cap flexibility next summer and would presumably like to keep it.

Discussing the changing landscape at the power forward position, Lowe stated that Bass "will take a pay cut, and probably a severe one" from his current $6.9-million price tag when he hits free agency next summer. His skill set -- midrange jumpers, defensive versatility -- lets him contribute, and, at age 29 with a great work ethic, he should still have several quality years left. But the NBA is changing, and he doesn't space the floor as much as the prototypical stretch-four.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Zach Lowe:  The Celtics Have "Tried Like Hell" To Trade Bass Empty Re: Zach Lowe: The Celtics Have "Tried Like Hell" To Trade Bass

Post by kdp59 Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Hard to move him for nothing I guess.

I mean my god, if you can't even get an expiring trade exception for Bass I guess his trade value is NOTHING right now.

perhaps some team will have an injury and be willing to offer a second round pick in 2020 along with a bag of chips!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Zach Lowe:  The Celtics Have "Tried Like Hell" To Trade Bass Empty Re: Zach Lowe: The Celtics Have "Tried Like Hell" To Trade Bass

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:25 pm

kdp59 wrote:Hard to move him for nothing I guess.

I mean my god, if you can't even get an expiring trade exception for Bass I guess his trade value is NOTHING right now.

perhaps some team will have an injury  and be willing to offer a second round pick in 2020 along with a bag of chips!

Kdp,

I'm sensing you're not feeling much love for "Steady Eddy"?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:11 pm

I think kdp hit the nail on the head.  Watch the injury reports.  He definitely is "Steady Eddie," and that steadiness extends to doing his level best at every task to which he's assigned.  I didn't keep stats, but I'm quite sure he even got more than his share of the opening tips when he started at the "5" this past season.  I kept remarking on that in game after game of the Game-on Threads.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:06 pm

nah I like Bass, I think you can do a lot worse at PF.

I was just commenting on the story , which seems to say Bass isn't getting much love around the league.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:20 am

Bass is the type of player who can help a strong team but makes no difference to a weak team.

Unless he has a millstone of a contract, I bet Ainge can get decent value for him at some point.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:10 am

Sloopjohnb wrote:Bass is the type of player who can help a strong team but makes no difference to a weak team.

Unless he has a millstone of a contract, I bet Ainge can get decent value for him at some point.

True. As the trade deadline approaches and contenders take stock of what they need his value could rise quickly. Right now just may not be the time.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Saying the Celtics have "tried like hell" to trade Bass makes it sound as if he's some sort of cancer or overpaid lousy player when in fact he's been the opposite -- a solid, reliable, hardworking contributor who earns his salary and is a good teammate.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down